Castrol Magnatec SUV 5W30 C3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

In Australia we now have Castrol Magnatec SUV 5W30 C3, it's a full synthetic that's rated API SN/CF, ACEA C3, Dexos2 and MB 229.51

Their marketing is "Unlike many cars, your SUV does everything...." and it's "suitable for use in automotive petrol and diesel engines "

It reminds me a bit of the Shell Rotella Gas Truck or Shell Rotella Multi-Vehicle you have in North America.

The new Magnatec synthetic has
KV100 = 12.18 cSt
SA = 0.8 %
CCS = 6400 cP
VI = 166

Here is a link to the PDS

Yes I saw that one in Repco today, I had to pass on the Nulon 5w30 that's on special.. I've got 100L mixed others stashed that I have to get through first...

What's your opinion on it?

Seems like just another marketing point of difference to bring more "on board" to "move forward" with the Castrol brand...
grin.gif

I think Rotella Gas Truck oil, while a marketing scheme, is a good idea by them, but I think they're goin to have a lot of company before too long.

smile.gif
ok I can understand that there is need for a truck oil or a MC oil...

But that SUV oil....that is just a marketing...that is just normal "low saps" PCMO oil

Those first three lines in the "description" are a little cringe worthy! Haven't seen this one on the shelves locally yet. I like how it comes in a 7 litre container - perfect for the Outlander...

Originally Posted by ozdrrider

What's your opinion on it?
Seems like just another marketing point of difference to bring more "on board" to "move forward" with the Castrol brand...
grin.gif

I'm sure it's a good oil, but that SUV thing is just marketing.

The Halvoline ProDS 5W30 C3 from Caltex (chevron) has the same specs ( SN, C3, Dexos2 and MB 229.51) but they just call it a "synthetic passenger car engine oil".

Also for comparison lets look at two ILSAC GF-5, 5W30 oils

vanilla M1 5W30
KV100 = 11.0 cSt
SA = 0.8 %
VI = 172
HTHS = 3.1 cP

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30
KV100 = 9.8 cSt
CCS = 4480 cP
VI = 170

So you can see the C3 oil is thicker (HTHS of 3.5 cP or above), and while not a high-SAPS oil by A3/B4 standard (above 1.0%) it is still a regular SAPS oil compared to a ILSAC oil. So good for a similar distance.

I believe Dexos2, being both a diesel and a petrol (gas) oil for GM, has to pass LSPI tests, so it should be good for DI engines.

A fine oil if found at the right price.

Originally Posted by hpb
Those first three lines in the "description" are a little cringe worthy! Haven't seen this one on the shelves locally yet. I like how it comes in a 7 litre container - perfect for the Outlander...

Yeah cringe worthy marketing, but a 7L jug is nice, and it's listed in the most recent Repco catalogue, so it's around. They are asking $70 for 7L, standard Aussie price, but it should go on sale at some stage for 20% to 40% off, like the rest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5
So you can see the C3 oil is thicker (HTHS of 3.5 cP or above), and while not a high-SAPS oil by A3/B4 standard (above 1.0%) it is still a regular SAPS oil compared to a ILSAC oil. So good for a similar distance.

SaPS content of typical ILSAC GF5 SN oils is typically 0.9'ish - 1.0 %, exceptions being some Mobil 1 at 0.8 % or lower if I understand it correctly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5
In Australia we now have Castrol Magnatec SUV 5W30 C3, it's a full synthetic that's rated API SN/CF, ACEA C3, Dexos2 and MB 229.51

As you note, they already do that up here. They should do that with a C3 oil up here, since most vehicles that do call for a C3 are going to be a truck.
wink.gif

A lot of SUV's are diesel here and in Aust, Castrol's only C3 used to be Magnatec 5W-40, and is a semi synthetic. So 2 C3 oils if you have DPF.

Originally Posted by Garak
We have a Castrol C3/dexos2 5w-30 here, branded as gold bottle, I believe, but I can't swear to it; it's been too long since I've seen it.

It could be a Castrol Edge 5w30 dexos 2. Its the one I use in my disel bmw in Spain as it is BMW ll04

Last edited:
I'm waiting for a Castrol Magnatec Cabriolet Version, A Red Color Cars Version and finally a Super Special Blend for Lowered suspension dudes out there.
Like there aren't 150 different oil specifications already ,we need moooar oil types to confuse the oridinary oil shopping guy...all for the same product with different labels/packaging/marketing/smell or whatever

Originally Posted by Amenhotep
We have a Castrol C3/dexos2 5w-30 here, branded as gold bottle, I believe, but I can't swear to it; it's been too long since I've seen it.

It could be a Castrol Edge 5w30 dexos 2. Its the one I use in my disel bmw in Spain as it is BMW ll04

EDGE

Originally Posted by 21Rouge
Originally Posted by Amenhotep

EDGE

That one is what I talking about but here is gold bottle

Castrol 5w30 c3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back