Castrol Magnatec initial impressions.

Magnatec was my "go to" oil for a long time. When I did my first oil change in my 2021 Ram 1500 w 5.6 hemi, Magnatec went in. Shortly after the oil change I heard some cold start "clatter". Ram states that this is normal, and not harmful (lifter noise). I didn't like it. Out came the Magnatec, and in went the Liqui Moly Special Tec AA 5W-20. I never heard the "clatter" again, and it runs great. The first oil analysis was at 6000 miles with TBN at 3.4. I will do another analysis at 7500, and that will probably be my OCI moving forward.

one of the things they tell you to do if you have got the piston slappy engine is to try a conventional oil. May sound counter-intuitive but maybe that is what is going on.
I agree with this too. My 3000GT sounded awful on synthetic oil (Although Syntec was the only synth oil I tried in it, maybe it just didn't "like" that particular oil?). Cold weather startups sounded like it had no oil in it. With dino it was smooth and silent (PYB). But, PYB back then had triple digit moly also.

I've used Kirkland, Magnatec, and Edge in my Ecoboost. The only difference I've noticed is Magnatec seems to be a bit quieter.

I agree with this too. My 3000GT sounded awful on synthetic oil (Although Syntec was the only synth oil I tried in it, maybe it just didn't "like" that particular oil?). Cold weather startups sounded like it had no oil in it. With dino it was smooth and silent (PYB). But, PYB back then had triple digit moly also.
Good thing Syntec is not truly synthetic lol . Do you like my humor haha

Magnatec has been my go to oil for awhile. Usually buy at Walmart, but happened to look it up on Amazon and found this in the product description...

• ATTENTION: Castrol GTX Magnatec will be transitioning to a brand NEW Castrol product, GTX Full Synthetic, on January 1st 2022.
...hopefully, the intelligent molecules are not being shown the door.

Magnatec has been my go to oil for awhile. Usually buy at Walmart, but happened to look it up on Amazon and found this in the product description...

• ATTENTION: Castrol GTX Magnatec will be transitioning to a brand NEW Castrol product, GTX Full Synthetic, on January 1st 2022.
maybe new d1g3 formula?

I'll just switch back to QS:D

Well now, that seems even less than able to be distinguished from Edge, which was supposed to have Magnatec benefits plus more..

Well now, that seems even less than able to be distinguished from Edge, which was supposed to have Magnatec benefits plus more..
I've been buying Magnatec at Walmart for a few years because when I go to the store I can be confident that I will find the weight I need from a major company for under $20. I take the buzz words and claims with a grain of salt for all of them. What I've wondered, as a consumer looking over the many oil options on the shelves, is if Castrol feels Magnatec chemestry is as good as they say, why it's it being advertised as being in their top tier products? I just had a look a their Edge web page, and not a word about it. I've found Castrol marketing strategies to be odd for a number of years now, going back to the times they began to merge the Edge and Syntec names.

Last edited:
I've been buying Magnatec at Walmart for a few years because when I go to the store I can be confident that I will find the weight I need from a major company for under $20. I take the buzz words and claims with a grain of salt for all of them. What I've wondered, as a consumer looking over the many oil options on the shelves, is if Castrol feels Magnatec chemestry is as good as they say, why it's it being advertised as being in their top tier products? I just had a look a their Edge web page, and not a word about it. I've found Castrol marketing strategies to be odd for a number of years now, going back to the times they began to merge the Edge and Syntec names.
Something happened, more than half of the original quoted text of mine weren't my words. All good

First oil I began buying was Castrol GTX back when all their GTX came in green bottles, white bottles were introduced at some point. Then Valvoline introduced MaxLife. This around when Mobil 1 had a red cap. It was around this time oil purchase in general became a question of, oh no, what do I do.

Something happened, more than half of the original quoted text of mine weren't my words. All good

First oil I began buying was Castrol GTX back when all their GTX came in green bottles, white bottles were introduced at some point. Then Valvoline introduced MaxLife. This around when Mobil 1 had a red cap. It was around this time oil purchase in general became a question of, oh no, what do I do.
Sorry, my fault-edited it out.

Yes, it seems oil marketing has jumped the shark in recent years. I've been stopping by this site for many years, so I have an idea about what's going on, but to the average consumer it must just be mystifying.

This is exciting!!! Hopefully they will clearance all of the "old" Magnatec packaging this month. I would be happy to take it off their hands for half price or less.

Back