Castrol GTX Ultraclean 5w-30 - 5,000 miles - 2016 GS F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got rid of my other 2 cars, and picked up a CPO 2016 Lexus GS F., of course I had to do a oil sample on it.

The cars had Castrol GTX/Ultraclean 5w-30 it's whole life (don't recall when they switched the formula/packaging from regular GTX to the Ultraclean moniker) along with the OEM oil filter. It now has PUP 5w-30 in it now; will most likely do a UOA on that too.

This sample saw 6-7 runs at the dragstrip; in addition to seeing the upper RPM range on a daily basis.

GSF.jpg

Looks great, Castrol does a good job!

Surprised at how much TBN is left....looks like it could go 10k if someone wanted.

Interesting.. if you look at the viscosity, it did the same thing my 5w30 Magnatec did.. thin out to about 9.1, the lower end of the range Blackstone shows. But flashpoint didn't decrease like it did on mine.. I probably have my answer (short trips) just made me think.. hmmm...

Other than that, looks like a really good report! It's like as long as you do regular maintenance on a Toyota/Lexus/Scion they give great UOA's! Doesn't seem to matter what oil, as long as it's maintained..

Nice report.

Triple, I tested the PP Euro 0W40 in my Odyssey last summer. At 7,650 miles, the oil still had a TBN of 6.0. If there is not a lot of fuel dilution or oil contamination, there is less to cause the TBN to be depleted. Odysseys are known to be hard on oil with the iVTEC, so we know PP Euro 0W40 is pretty dang stout!

[Linked Image]

This looks like the SN Plus formulation. Also now labelled a Synthetic Blend on their website. Thanks for sharing, great report.

I have to say, I am pretty happy with the results ; although I know you can't compare these vehicles at any level - it was nice to see comparing to my WRX STI UOA's that just hammered the oil put in it.

When I saw the TBN @ 6.6, I too was surprised, but not impossible from what I've been able to gather though; some bits of information I did forgot to mention that might explain why:

It's driven 60 miles round trip of which 90% is highway.

It has a 9.3 qt oil sump capacity - that's allot of additive capacity to deplete.

Also for those of you who don't know - this is a port / direct injected engine.

Originally Posted by Tiir
I have to say, I am pretty happy with the results ; although I know you can't compare these vehicles at any level - it was nice to see comparing to my WRX STI UOA's that just hammered the oil put in it.

When I saw the TBN @ 6.6, I too was surprised, but not impossible from what I've been able to gather though; some bits of information I did forgot to mention that might explain why:

It's driven 60 miles round trip of which 90% is highway.

It has a 9.3 qt oil sump capacity - that's allot of additive capacity to deplete.

Also for those of you who don't know - this is a port / direct injected engine.

This makes a little more sense now.

Follow the max OCI interval the GTX can handle it at ease in this application. Someone posted on here Castrol can not formulate an motor oil properly.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Follow the max OCI interval the GTX can handle it at ease in this application. Someone posted on here Castrol can not formulate an motor oil properly.

Yes it was someone who has a history of posting other idiotic comments as well.

A good showing from GTX UltraClean 5W30 (semi-synthetic).

In 5000 miles, only 4ppm iron, with a massive retained TBN of 6.6 !
It's just out of grade with a KV100 = 9.19 cSt, where the 30 grade cut off is 9.3 cSt, but that's not enough to worry me.

Nice add pack, 80 ppm moly, 94 ppm boron, 862 ppm zinc, and LSPI friendly detergent package of 1639 Ca with 683 Mg.

For a base level oil, they are giving you a lot for your money.

I'm running the GTX UltraClean 15W40 (SN & A3/B3) myself right now, I've just passed 4400 miles on it, and I'm in no rush to change it out just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back