Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
GTX will help you form more deposits.

Go with Rotella T6
31.gif
or a Mobil 1
31.gif
product for cleaning.

Stick with conventional oil the vehicle is 33 years old.

If deposits are a concern reduce OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: Cujet
GTX will help you form more deposits.

Go with Rotella T6
31.gif
or a Mobil 1
31.gif
product for cleaning.

My thoughts exactly. Im using Rotella 10w-30 Conventional in it now.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Wouldn't worry to much about sludge. If your worried throw half a pint of MMO. Or even a quarter bottle of engine flush. I wouldn't use a full bottle but every jot and then I'll uses 1/4 and let the car warm up then change. Does it work?

I don't really know but I feel it might help to remove light stuff last thing I want to do is have a piece of carbon come off and block an oil passage.

I have a bottle of engine flush that i use a very little bit at a time in my other vehicles. I think its too strong to put a whole bottle of it in an engine. I may put a little bit in the honda. I dont wanna break up too much sludge too quickly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
Plus the rotella 10w-30 conventional only comes in 1 gallon jugs and cant be had at walmart. Im looking at the GTX due to higher availability and 5 quarts of oil for the same price as 4 quarts of rotella.

Why not T5 10-30 Syn blend? Can be had at Walmart for about $16 a gallon, always on the shelf at my local WM and saw plenty in PA when I was on my trip. I run it in our GM 3400 and have no complaints. It had previous owner neglect and probably had dealer dino for the first 50K of it's life. First oil change by me was a full syn... no leaks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuuMPtDAnNM which is a very short video of someone who objects to Castrol GTX oil in his Honda. Thought provoking.

too funny man... mines a sedan. surprisingly its a 5 spd.
cool.gif

Yes, I'd trust Vince's (Dax Shepard) opinion on what he uses in his classic '81. The guy is hilarious and knows his lubes. His creed is "If you love it, lube it."

I have a bottle of engine flush that i use a very little bit at a time in my other vehicles. I think its too strong to put a whole bottle of it in an engine. I may put a little bit in the honda. I dont wanna break up too much sludge too quickly.

Thats a good plan. People seem to think a lot of the engine flush, even if used as directed for only 5 minutes of idling right before a sump-dump, will create a river of sludge-poo inside that is more frightening than a trip to the restroom after too much TacoBell.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

This

Originally Posted By: Delta
Plus the rotella 10w-30 conventional only comes in 1 gallon jugs and cant be had at walmart. Im looking at the GTX due to higher availability and 5 quarts of oil for the same price as 4 quarts of rotella.

Why not T5 10-30 Syn blend? Can be had at Walmart for about $16 a gallon, always on the shelf at my local WM and saw plenty in PA when I was on my trip. I run it in our GM 3400 and have no complaints. It had previous owner neglect and probably had dealer dino for the first 50K of it's life. First oil change by me was a full syn... no leaks.

From seeing how much sludge is in the valve cover and how black the oil is I feel like this honda has only had a hand full of changes in its 33 year run..... so sad.

I don't know that I'd bother with Rotella, although it won't hurt anything.
There's also nothing special about GTX, although I would use a 10W-40 in this engine, as I did with our now long departed old Civics back when they were new Civics.
Drive the car regularly, treat it to a couple of 3K OCIs and the engine should clean up noticeably.
Maxlife or Defy would probably both be good choices for this engine.
Expect some teething issues from a car that's seen little use in its three decades since coming off the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back