Anyone running the new GTX Synthetic?

I saw a couple older threads on here, but was wondering since they've been posted and the newness has sort of wore off if anyone has been running the new GTX synthetic in the silver jugs with any great success. At its price point (below $6 a quart) it seems too good to be true.
Does it clean well or better than GTX conventional? Has anyone ran a UOA on it? Etc etc.

It's much too expensive for what it is ($30 a 5qt jug) and I just don't see it being better than QSFS which is cheaper at $21 especially the 5w-40. But the previous time it was discussed on here someone said it was rebottled magnatec since the marketing and product segmentation looked about identical to the old magnatec bottle.

At the end of the day i doubt it's anything but good oil that will make an engine last long enough for something else to fail that wasn't oil quality related as long as it was changed accordingly but i doubt it will be the first logical choice for best value for money buyers like many of us. I can get Pennzoil platinum, M1 EP, or Castrol EP for the same or less.

I'm running it in a family member's Hyundai Elantra , so far so good. No uoa but , it's been 4 months and hasn't burned any yet. No funny noises. Probably just go Edge or Edge EP next time in her car ,for the Titanium content.

Last edited:
I'm currently using the 0W-20 version in my CR-V. Only a little over 1100 miles on it so far but the car feels nice and smooth so I would definitely use it again. The only difference I've ever noticed is consumption from one brand to another with Pennzoil Platinum being the worst. My decision to use certain oils at certain times may be based on price or what I read here or who's winning races and/or who's car looks the nicest. So, when Logano's car grabs my attention, in goes Pennzoil. When RFK cars look really nice in Castrol colors, in goes the new GTX Full Syn.

Do we know if the silver bottle is the same product as old GTX Magnatec in a new suit? I used Magnatec a couple times and thought it was fantastic. Thought the green bottles looked better than the new silver ones too.

Do we know if the silver bottle is the same product as old GTX Magnatec in a new suit? I used Magnatec a couple times and thought it was fantastic. Thought the green bottles looked better than the new silver ones too.
Castrol said in one of their websites or interviews that it was basically the same and contains the “intelligent molecules” as well. It was basically just rebranding for the new GF6/SP.

Castrol said in one of their websites or interviews that it was basically the same and contains the “intelligent molecules” as well. It was basically just rebranding for the new GF6/SP.
Got it. I think it's a good product, but it's pricey considering you can usually get Pennzoil Platinum for the same price.

I saw a couple older threads on here, but was wondering since they've been posted and the newness has sort of wore off if anyone has been running the new GTX synthetic in the silver jugs with any great success. At its price point (below $6 a quart) it seems too good to be true.
Does it clean well or better than GTX conventional? Has anyone ran a UOA on it? Etc etc.
I just bought some last night for our Edge. It was bogo at Dollar General. It’ll have to wait for spring to go in. Was curious myself.

in my 2002 camry i always changed the oil at 3000 miles and used the 5w-30 gtx conventional oil. Over the last few years i have used the gtx synthetic 5w-30 and still change it at 3000 miles. I don't see any difference in the two oils. I have 315000 miles on the car.

Reactions: wlk
I still have two jugs of Magnatec SN+ ... I add about 20 oz. to whatever new oil I am using for the new oil change - just enough to get those clinging molecules working for the daily start up protection Magnatec was noted for !

Back