Castrol GTX HM 5w30 - VOA

Had this run at the same time as a UOA on the same oil I am running in my 24 Ford Transit.

1000003615.jpg

Looks okay, the prices I'm seeing though are quite high for this product vs a FS. It does claim to be a Synthetic Blend. Thanks for sharing this VOA.

Looks okay, the prices I'm seeing though are quite high for this product vs a FS. It does claim to be a Synthetic Blend. Thanks for sharing this VOA.
I'm using a 12qt box that I can get cheaper. My other option would be Quaker State FS or Valvoline conventional.

I'm using a 12qt box that I can get cheaper. My other option would be Quaker State FS or Valvoline conventional.
Unless I Rip Van Winkle'd past a specification change the past two years ...

Low ZDP treat rate not flagged by the lab below API SN+/SP/ILSAC GF6A resource conserving min of 600ppm.

Request retest, If same I would not run it and call Castrol USA.

Hopefully this is a lab error - and that's not good either - they should have flagged and retested.

Unless I Rip Van Winkle'd past a specification change the past two years ...

Low ZDP treat rate not flagged by the lab below API SN+/SP/ILSAC GF6A resource conserving min of 600ppm.

Request retest, If same I would not run it and call Castrol USA.

Hopefully this is a lab error - and that's not good either - they should have flagged and retested.

The UOA showed low Zinc and Phosphorus as well. Thoughts?

1000003597.jpg

Castrol deliberately uses low zinc and phos amounts in this oil to protect the cats - says so right on the bottle.
Says they use something in its place - ‘phosphorus replacement technology’…could be esters in the base oil to add film strength, I don’t know.
Like the higher detergent levels in this oil - every time I’ve used it it gets dark pretty quick, seems to clean well.
Just had this oil in 5W-20 put in my wife’s 2016 Jeep Patriot to try and quiet a noisy valvetrain on start up - made the TC noise in my 2009 G5 go away completely.

Castrol deliberately uses low zinc and phos amounts in this oil to protect the cats - says so right on the bottle.
Says they use something in its place - ‘phosphorus replacement technology’…could be esters in the base oil to add film strength, I don’t know.
Like the higher detergent levels in this oil - every time I’ve used it it gets dark pretty quick, seems to clean well.
Just had this oil in 5W-20 put in my wife’s 2016 Jeep Patriot to try and quiet a noisy valvetrain on start up - made the TC noise in my 2009 G5 go away completely.
So far i am really happy with the oil. Yes it did get dark really quick! But it dropped the valvetrain noise significantly compared to the Motorcraft. Runs really quiet now.

I'm at 9500 miles on the 2nd Castrol oil change, gonna change it today, deliberating whether or not to swap the Castrol out with Quaker State FS, or stick with the Castrol.

FWIW, unit has 19500 miles on it, next oil change will be at 30,000 miles and will be using free dealership oil change which will be Motorcraft semi-synthetic.

@addyguy is right. I copied this from Castrol's site:
Castrol GTX High Mileage motor oil is the leading consumer high miles brand. You won't need to worry about using a high mileage oil or synthetic because this is both. It's a synthetic blend engine oil that helps extend the life of your engine by protecting against sludge, wear and burn-off and also liquid engineered to protect your emission system. One of the leading causes of 'check engine' lights coming on in high mileage cars is actually catalytic converter failure, which can be caused by phosphorous in engine oil. While phosphorous is present in all engine oils for its ability to reduce wear, it is effectively poisonous to catalytic converters.

Castrol GTX High Mileage is engineered with Phosphorous Replacement Technology to replace some of the phosphorous with an advanced additive that maintains robust wear protection.
When you want to extend the life of your high mileage engine and emission system, there is no better choice than Castrol GTX High Mileage.
source: https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...astrol-gtx-oils/castrol-gtx-high-mileage.html

I wouldn't waste Blackstone's time with a retest, personally. But if they're already doing it, oh well.

Well I am in the process this morning of changing out with QSFS, will see how that works out. If its the same or worse will prolly switch back to the Castrol, I really like how it quieted the valvetrain down compared to the Motorcraft.

@addyguy is right. I copied this from Castrol's site:

source: https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...astrol-gtx-oils/castrol-gtx-high-mileage.html

I wouldn't waste Blackstone's time with a retest, personally. But if they're already doing it, oh well.
There used to be a spec low limit requirement of 600ppm phos for all ILSAC and API SN rated lubricants.

Can someone show me when this was revised? I have not seen nor heard about it.

Or is BP at it again with their hijinks?

Last edited:
Back