Castrol GTX 10W30 5049 Miles1999 Honda Accord 2.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think? Sodium???? I don't show any drop in coolant level and there's no water so I'm lost on that one. Think it's OK to go 7500 on the next oil change?

Current Analysis

1999 Honda Accord 4cyl 2.3L EX Auto
Oil: Castrol GTX 10W30
Filter: Purolator PureOne PL14459

Oil Analyzers was the lab used.

This sample had about 3 months of time on the oil, 5,049 miles. No makeup oil added. Vehicle has 100874 miles on the clock.

Aluminum: 2
Chromium: 0
Iron: 4
Copper: 2
Lead: 23
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 3
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 2
Boron: 1
Silicon: 12
Sodium: 158
Calcium: 2407
Magnesium: 9
Phosphorus: 702
Zinc: 786
Barium: 0
Cadmium: 0
Vanadium: 0
Antimony: 0
Lithium: 0

Properties:

cST Viscosity @ 100 C: 11.4
Fuel %: Water %: Soot %: TBN: 4.10
Oxidation: 10
Nitration: 18

COMMENTS:
Data indicates flagged for observation only; Sodium as at a MODERATE LEVEL; Sodium sources: coolant (antifreeze), lube additive or supplement, and/or environmental contaminant; Lubricant and filter change acknowledged;

Previous Analysis

1999 Honda Accord 4cyl 2.3L EX Auto
Oil: Castrol GTX 10W30
Filter: Purolator PureOne PL14459

Oil Analyzers was the lab used.

This sample had about 3 months of time on the oil, 5,268 miles. 1/2 quart of makeup oil was added over the 5,268 miles. I'm looking to go to 10,000 mile OCI with this oil/filter combo. What do you guys think?

Aluminum: 2
Chromium: 0
Iron: 3
Copper: 1
Lead: 24
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 3
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 1
Boron: 1
Silicon: 10
Sodium: 79
Calcium: 2112
Magnesium: 11
Phosphorus: 612
Zinc: 715
Barium: 0
Cadmium: 0
Vanadium: 0
Antimony: 0
Lithium: 0

Properties:

cST Viscosity @ 100 C: 11.5
Fuel %: Water %: Soot %: TBN: 4.32
Oxidation: 9
Nitration: 15

COMMENTS:
Data indicates no abnormal findings. Resample at normal interval.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you could get out to 8,000, but nitration and TBN are probably going to limit you. Bump your next interval out to 7500 miles and you'll get a good read. Who knows you might be good to go. That lead number doesn't look too hot though.

Last edited:
Why push the oil? Just run a 6k oci and spend the uoa money on something else.

I think you have a slow coolant leak that's causing elevated bearing (Pb) wear - notice that the Na level is increasing. A negative test for raw EG is normal for a slow leak, as it reacts with the lube oil and is chemically changed.

A TBN of 3-4 is as low as I like to go from OAI for long term engine cleanliness.

Well, the car still runs great and gets 35-38MPG. I guess I'll let it go until the problem is more obvious.

Oddly, they didn't mark Pb as an issue. I called and asked them about that one on each analysis and they said it's in the "normal" range for this engine. Seems high to me though.

Castrol does use Sodium as an additive, but the lead is much higher than normal. Are you using anything in the fuel that could contribute to a high lead reading? Otherwise a coolant leak does seem like a possibility. Are you using a phosphate-free antifreeze? If not that would probably rule out coolant contamination based on the potassium being only 2 ppm.

Originally Posted By: glennc
Castrol does use Sodium as an additive, but the lead is much higher than normal. Are you using anything in the fuel that could contribute to a high lead reading? Otherwise a coolant leak does seem like a possibility. Are you using a phosphate-free antifreeze? If not that would probably rule out coolant contamination based on the potassium being only 2 ppm.

I'm not using any additives what so ever. The fuel used is just whatever 87 octane I find that's the cheapest.

The vehicle has fairly new (within 10K miles) Genuine Honda Type 2 Coolant. I recently changed it personally. I looked on the container and did a Google search but couldn't find if it was phosphate free or not.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
You did good. Always use the Honda brand coolant and atf.

thumbsup2.gif

So with the Na being 158ppm anyone got input on how bad the leak is? Seems it'd be very small, but I've never had one leak before so fill me in.

Also, you guys think it's the head gasket or should I look elsewhere?

Final update for now:

I dropped this vehicle off to Honda to have the timing belt maintenance performed. I told them the oil analysis showed a possible coolant leak and asked them to look for anything that might be the cause.

The technician didn't find any leaks.

So it's either extremely small, or something else is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back