Castrol Full Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I have finally forgiven Castrol for their deceptive practices, what business doesn't do that anyway. Am now using GC but when it is gone what about their 5w30 in the 5 quart jugs that says Full Synthetic and still is listed for all the good specs. Is it or not synthetic and with all the specs if accurate should be a good deal?????????
GregH

I believe it is a group-3. I was told by someone here on BITOG that the 5w20 weight is a mix of group-3 and PAO. I am not sure , but it is a good oil.

I will tell you what I asked the same question a while back. And to me I dont understand how anyone knows the real base oil of syntec if they had to run all those tests on GC to confirm it was indeed ester based. So as far as I am concerned Castrol makes a good oil until someone can prove to me they dont!!! It seems to me some oils get a good or bad rep on here and it is impossible to shake after. I have NO bias I have run GC M1 ep and Syntec blend in my truck since it was purchased new and none of them disappointed me. I sure do wish that someone could shine some light on this my guess is that Syntec has a very small % of grp III and it is there for a reason. I will be the first to donate if anyone wants to do the same testing they did for GC on a diff Syntec like 5-w30.

Few contend that Castrol synthetic oils are "bad" oils. Most of the complaints are that Castrol charges too much for a Group III oil.

Assume U.S. blended Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic motor oils use Group III and Group V base oils as their synthetic content until confirmed otherwise. That doesn't make the stuff bad. As others have already noted, U.S. Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic motor oils perform well. The negative reputation for Castrol came about because, A> Castrol won the binding arbitration ruling against Mobil that Mobil initiated and which proclaimed Group III base oils could be legitimately held as "synthetic" AND B> Group III base oils are cheaper to produce than Group IV base oils (PAOs). At one time, Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic used only PAOs and esters as its synthetic content, as did Mobil 1. The problem for Castrol was that it didn't actually produce base oils. Guess who their supplier was? Yep, Mobil had a stranglehold on PAO production at the time so Mobil was as happy as a clam when anyone sold a quart of synthetic motor oil. The irony is that ExxonMobil is also one of the U.S.'s largest producers of Group III base oils. And what they don't produce is often subject to licensing fee revenue for use of patents on Group III production processes EM developed.* So, disregarding for a moment the physical and chemical pros and cons of Group III base oils, is Castrol to be condemned for "cheating" on Syntec's base oil content when the company switched over, or admired, if only grudgingly so, for taking the ballsy risk to stand up for itself when taken into binding arbitration and thereby breaking Mobil's quasi-monopoly on synthetic base oils?

*In other words, ExxonMobil's been crying all the way to the bank despite the company's binding arbitration "loss".

[ October 03, 2005, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

I think Castrol is a big enough Company, like Mobile, to make thier own PAO. besides, who are they getting it from overseas where Grp lll's are not recognised as synthetic?

Sorry to disillusion you, Tim, but until Castrol was absorbed by BP*, it bought its base oils from major refiners. Group IIIs were recognized as synthetic in Europe long before they were recognized as such on this side of the pond.

*BP has a significant refining presence in Texas - near Houston, I believe.

Considering- that GC- sells for the same price as all the other syntecs on the shelf, and the GC is the only syntec that we know for sure is made full group IV base stocks, then GC is really the only bottle of syntec that is a good "value"- If the rest are still group III of cource- which i think is the general consensus... For the price, you can get group III synthetics for less through different brands. (Supertech full synthetic comes to mind at a little over $2 a quart)

quote:

Originally posted by mdocod:
Considering- that GC- sells for the same price as all the other syntecs on the shelf, and the GC is the only syntec that we know for sure is made full group IV base stocks, then GC is really the only bottle of syntec that is a good "value"- If the rest are still group III of cource- which i think is the general consensus... For the price, you can get group III synthetics for less through different brands. (Supertech full synthetic comes to mind at a little over $2 a quart)

I think we get our lubricants dirt cheap here in North America when you compare what others are paying elsewhere in the world. I think the Grp III horse has been beaten to a bloody mess. If it's well formualted and meets the specs you are looking for then what's the difference??

For practical purposes what can PAO do other than cold flow properties that a good GrpIII could not? If you need an A5 oil buy an A5 oil.. If you need an A3 with a specific manufacturer spec such as BW LL01 seek it out. It comes in both grp III,&IV and all probably have some V in them.
PAO is not magic and used alone has been shown to make a horrible motor oil. It is great for oxidation resistance and cold flow properites. Most of these advantages are shared to a not significant lesser extent by grpIII base oils.

The primary lesson I have learned from the masters here since I began spending too much time on this board is that the final formulation is greater than the sum of its parts in motor oils. If castrol synthetic gives good results then that is what counts.

Let's not forget that it was Castrol that got this whole Group III being a "synthetic" ball rolling in the first place.

I personally used to use Castrol, even before that horse was created. I have used the off of the shelf brands, all of them. Then I discovered Amsoil, Redline, and Royal Purple. Later I stumbled upon Schaeffer's. After that, I wanted to break out of the oil mold and went with Renewable Lubricants HOBS oil. Now I am currently playing with Maxima Oils. I have many vehicles to play with, keep up the maintenance on, and see what oils work well and what ones don't.

Well, in the end, I have to agree with Bryanccfshr and say the whole is better than any part of the oil itself. I've had petroleums that did better than synthetics, and vice versa, and it was purely dependant on the additive packages vs. the quality of the base oil. I also am a recent extended OCI candidate, as I would always change my oil at 3K miles no matter what grade/quality/basestock one that I used.

That said, would I go back and try GC, don't know, only time will tell...

grp III oils arent bad, pennzoil platinum is grp III and many people here love it.

but when it comes to price, Mobil vs Syntec...

the Syntec is too expensive for what you get but it wont hurt your car any.

quote:

Originally posted by daemonite:

And don't forget, Mobil 1 has a reputation for making engines "louder" and producing high iron content in UOA's...........But hey, you get what you pay for.

Darryl

quote:

Originally posted by daemonite:
grp III oils arent bad, pennzoil platinum is grp III and many people here love it.

I thought I read Platinum being group IV now??

Wow, how many misstatements were there in this thread? I count at least 2. Of course, I get most of my info from the internet (mainly BITOG) and I may be wrong, but it is tough to keep up. Let me ask about a few things.

1. Europe accepts Grp III as synthetic? I did not think that was true.

2. Penzzoil Platinum is not Grp III. It is some new type EOP oil (grp V - other) developed by Shell. Cheaper to produce than even a group III but as good or better than PAO. (so they say). There was a link to the Shell site on another recent thread. So Penz Platinum is a unique oil from all the other synthetics. (just like GC is unique)

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=002281;p=1

3. I believe the cheapest Grp III oil is Mobil 7500. 2.09 at Wallmart.

Winston, I believe that the EOP oil is group III+. At least that's what the Chevron web site says under "Base Oils".

Darryl
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
Wow, how many misstatements were there in this thread?...

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Yes, Winston, some are just blindly swinging away!
smile.gif

1. Pennz Platinum is Ethylene Olefin CoPolymer, a synthetic fluid, and is not Grp III conventional/mineral oil.

2. EOP is not the same as Grp IV PAO. I would consider it Grp V until someone such as Molakule provides a professional opinion on the subject.

Daemonite,

Why make such a statement claiming Penz Platunum is a Grp.III oil? I cringe at mis-statements on a forum like this where people are trying to LEARN. Perhaps you have a source I'm not aware of supporting your statement. Please let us know how to access it. We'd really appreciate your leading us straight on the matter.

Thanks for your enlightening input.

quote:

Originally posted by krholm:
Daemonite,

Why make such a statement claiming Penz Platunum is a Grp.III oil? I cringe at mis-statements on a forum like this where people are trying to LEARN. Perhaps you have a source I'm not aware of supporting your statement. Please let us know how to access it. We'd really appreciate your leading us straight on the matter.

Thanks for your enlightening input.

I'm guessing Penz Platinum is different then the old weird bottle shape Penz Synthetic?

Wasn't the old stuff Grp III? or is it EOP also?

I admit I'm wrong about the new Platinum and assumed it's group III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back