Castrol Elixion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man alive ! I bet there is 2400 ppm of ZDDP in that oil,,can you say a 1/4 mile oil as well ?
smile.gif

I want some.I want some
smile.gif

Let's see,uuhh, I need 6 quarts of oil and ten oil filters please!

[ January 04, 2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

quote:

Originally posted by Neil:
Would you like to super size that order?

Nahhh one run and a few spark plugs later would be enough for me . They do sell a 15/40 HD Deisel oil in the States called RX Super. I have never seen it around though nor seen the data sheet. Probably real close to the others I would imagine.

Dragboat, take a look at the Castrol HD Lubes web site. There is actually a Elixion specifically for North America as well as other HD oils (Enduron, Tection, and Dieselall). Note also that spec sheets and MSDSs are available on this site, quite unlike the Castrol PCMO site for North America.

Castrol has introduced a new HD 0w30 synthetic for the European market. Some pretty interesting specs:

TBN 17.5
shocked.gif

Pour point -57*C
Sulphated Ash 2.0

I'd say this is probably a PAO/ester based oil for sure.

Castrol Elixion web site

XHVI ,

Thanks for the link. It appears Castrol has completely revamped it's HD oil line for this year.
That Elixion 5/30 is just what the doctor ordered for certain cars in the family.The Mobil Delvac 1 is simply too heavy at 40C for some automobiles in my opinion,,the Elixion 5/30 is more inline with PCMO's specs as far as VI is concerned imo and it looks like they made it just for me
wink.gif

If Mikeyoilnut see's this don't waste money obtaining some and doing a VOA on it because tommorow I will be chasing it down ASAP
smile.gif

The Enduron S 15/40 is a interesting oil but some other newer offerings are simalar and the 10/30 Tection Extra is as well,,the hunt for a HD 10/30 though is over if the price of the Elixion 5/30 and the VOA has or rather shows what I like.

I wonder why Castrol chose to offer some tech data sheets? Anyway,thanks again for the link.

[ January 05, 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
That Elixion 5/30 is just what the doctor ordered for certain cars in the family.The Mobil Delvac 1 is simply too heavy at 40C for some automobiles in my opinion,,the Elixion 5/30 is more inline with PCMO's specs as far as VI is concerned imo and it looks like they made it just for me.

Keep in mind that the Elixion is a "diesel only" oil. It is not rated API SL.

Yep I know but I don't beat to the EPA's or API's drum
smile.gif

EDIT:
Since it meets API CI-4 I would hazard a guess it be the equivalent of a SJ minimum..again just a guess
smile.gif

I will get some and see how it looks in a VOA and then see how it performs in a UOA and decide it's worth for my needs then,,obtaining it easily might be another story !

[ January 05, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Well FWIW the two wholesalers I buy from and are also Castrol dealers have not heard of the Elixion 5/30,,,their Rep has no yet been by to see them and Castrol HD oils are not a seller here in Oklahoma so I knew I would probably never see it. I called Castrol,man they were great and cooperatrive as could be. They found it in cases of 6 1gallon containers in two of their warehouses " It's that new" and offered to sell it to me dirct but I would pay the shipping,,long story short it would have cost 10 bucks a quart after it was all said and done sooooo guess you know the rest of the story
smile.gif

It was neat they offered to sell it to me though,the problem was shipping such a large case and the fact I live dead center USA,each warehouse was 1600 miles away

Castrol Co lurkers,thanks for the help. Castrol HD Division are good folks
cheers.gif

[ January 07, 2003, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Holy Moly! That reminds me of one of those Steak houses in TX where if you can eat a huge steak and all the potatos ect that come with it there is not a charge.

In a oil burning gas motor I wonder how long a plug would last?

I definitely wouldn't recommend it for anything on the public highways and byways. It's just a good example of how high the TBN needs to be for really crappy fuel. It also helps quickly understand the correlation between TBN and ash - the higher the TBN, the higher the ash (in general). Hope it was a useful reference.

Application of Delo 3000:
quote:

Chevron Marine Engine Oils Delo 3000 Marine are recommended for use in medium speed trunk piston engines burning residual fuels with up to 3.5% sulfur content.

A quick look at the intended application of subject oil, shows why the gargantuan TBN and sulfated ash levels. Any takers?

Does "OVERBASED" seem appropriate?

Seriously, for high sulfur residual fuels, you need a chemical to counteract the
acids generated by those fuels.

Sulfated ash? Those engines are so loosey goosey it doesn't matter.

Dragboat,

I took a look at the specs in the Castrol 5w-30, synthetic diesel oil ...It appears to be another Group III "synthetic" with a fairly average VI of 158. The Noack volatility is a bit lower than the 5w-40 group III lubes, since it uses a lower level of VI modifier. The MSDS lists it as a "petroleum oil", so it's probably hydroisomerized petroleum oil or a UHVI type basestock.

British Petroleum has a 5w-30 synthetic diesel oil available in Europe - and coming to the US - that looks to be a better product. It's called "Vanellus C8 Ultima" - CI-4/SJ rated - and it's a very high quality, PAO/Ester based formulation that is also suitable for extended drains.

I have no problems running these type oils in gas engines ....I've been using the Series 3000, 5w-30 gas/diesel oil in a number of these applications and it works fine. Sulphated ash is approx 1.5% on this formulation ....

I think I will be sticking with Petro-Canada $12 per gallon Duron synthetic 5W40. Knowing Castrol, they will be charging an arm and a leg for this stuff.

[ January 23, 2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: blano ]

Quote:
"British Petroleum has a 5w-30 synthetic diesel oil available in Europe - and coming to the US - that looks to be a better product. It's called "Vanellus C8 Ultima" - CI-4/SJ rated - and it's a very high quality, PAO/Ester based formulation that is also suitable for extended drains."

That sounds like a interesting oil. Do you know who or how it will be marketed ?

Dragboat,

I expect to see it in the US sometime this year, marketed for fleet use and priced competitively with Delvac 1 and the Amsoil 15w-40. This BP 5w-30 was Lubricants World "product of the year" for 2002 ....They had a big writeup on it about 4-5 months ago - you may be able to find the article on line. I mailed my copy of the mag to somebody in Texas.

TooSlick

I found something about it online

http://www.bplubricants.co.uk/

On the right side click on Vanellus C8 Ultima awarded P...

EDIT:
While I was there I found some interesting Visco 7000 Series oils there along with who actually makes the Mitsubishi Diamond Class SP III Fluid

[ January 23, 2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back