Castrol Edge - U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen Castrol Edge? I'm told the oil meets API SM , GM4178 and other specs and also says it is guaranteed to go an extended drain interval of 15,000 miles/1 year.

I have not seen it but I haven't been looking.

Originally Posted By: buster
Has anyone seen Castrol Edge? I'm told the oil meets API SM , GM4178 and other specs and also says it is guaranteed to go an extended drain interval of 15,000 miles/1 year.

I have not seen it but I haven't been looking.

I was thinking that it was Castrol SLX that met the 4718M requirement. I haven't heard of Edge meeting it but I could be wrong.

Have a good one,

Don

I talked to Castrol USA today and the send me the PDS for the Edge product. They also stated they will announce the product on their site by the end of the month. Our local Pep Boy has both flavors on the shelf. Here a link to the PDS.

Castrol Edge PDS

Last edited:
In that case, it's definitely not the same as Edge in Europe, at least the 5w-30 grade. I don't think the 10w-30 Edge exists anywhere else outside of the US so there is nothing to compare it to.

Here's a link to specs of Edge 5w-30 available in the UK - 12 cSt @ 100C and meets VW 504.00/507.00 spec.

15,000 miles, or 1yr, which ever comes first.

I'm curiuos if this is a PAO or Grp III oil.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Viscosity of 9.8 @ 100ºC. That's a thin 30W.

Fuel economy.

15,000 miles, or 1yr, which ever comes first.

I'm curiuos if this is a PAO or Grp III oil.

My guess? PAO/Grp III mix...nice add pack. Has to be decently stout for them to say 15k miles OCI.

Looked at Pep Boys, but no sign of it. I would REALLY like to find this stuff and use Castrol in the tranny and crankcase.

Quote:
Has to be decently stout for them to say 15k miles OCI.

One should hope so...

I have only ever been impressed with their GC.

Quote:
Has to be decently stout for them to say 15k miles OCI.

One should hope so...

I have only ever been impressed with their GC.

I am useing German Castrol and probably will be for a while as I have 30 quarts. But I would be interested in Edge if its the right stuff.

I do like Castrol Synthetic 75W90 gear oil.

Have a good one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back