Castrol Edge base oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a jug of Castrol Edge 10w-30 on clearance for $19 dollars. I took a look at the msds sheet for it and it says highly refined base oil 80-85%. This means its a group III oil correct? If it is a group III can Castrol's claim of the oil being good for 15,000 miles be true?

Thanks for posting... I believed you, I just wanted to see it.
grin2.gif

I guess it is primarily a GRP-III, I don't like Castrol. They make a decent oil but I always hated their marketing so I try not to put money in their pockets. I also find them way over priced for the product.

You can get Pennzoil YB which IMO is a better oil (not looking to start a war), at a much cheaper price.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
You can get Pennzoil YB which IMO is a better oil (not looking to start a war), at a much cheaper price.
wink.gif

^^BIG 2nd
11.gif

Originally Posted By: brian12
How would you guys compare this oil to Valvoline maxlife full synthetic? I managed to find some of that as well.

Where? I had been looking

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
How would you guys compare this oil to Valvoline maxlife full synthetic? I managed to find some of that as well.

Where? I had been looking
Walmart. Orielly's has it as well but I'm not paying 7 bucks a quart.

You can't compare the 2. They are for different things.

Edge is a long OCI oil. Maxlife isn't. Edge is for low wear. Maxlife is for controlling leaks and oil burning.

The additives help give the oil long life. Enough detergent and dispersants and high TBN to keep acid in check.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Thanks for posting... I believed you, I just wanted to see it.
grin2.gif

I guess it is primarily a GRP-III, I don't like Castrol. They make a decent oil but I always hated their marketing so I try not to put money in their pockets. I also find them way over priced for the product.

wink.gif

Is Grp III not capable of long OCI's with a good additive package? Just curious.

I was under the impression that decently refined/dewaxed dino base oils can last darn near forever. Of course additive depletion, contaminant build-up, etc., will limit the OCI, but that happens with oils of whatever base stocks.

I might try Edge if came in a suitable viscosity at a reasonable price. And if Castrol stopped using monkeys and men in kilts to sell their products.

I kind of feel cheated now that I've found out that it is a group III oil. I just assumed it contained PAO because it is competing with Mobil's top of the line oil. Anyways I can't believe they were asking $34.50 originally for a group III. I think I may take it back.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
15K for any oil in my !echo! is a pipe dream.

Looks like a good deal on a syn oil regardless of making a 15K OCI.

X2^^^

Last edited:
I kind of feel cheated now that I've found out that it is a group III oil. I just assumed it contained PAO because it is competing with Mobil's top of the line oil. Anyways I can't believe they were asking $34.50 originally for a group III. I think I may take it back.

look at castrol edge webpage and look at FAQ it does indeed have PAO my friend.

Originally Posted By: ryland

look at castrol edge webpage and look at FAQ it does indeed have PAO my friend.
What? Like 15% of it is PAO. Doesn't seem like enough to make a difference.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

Is Grp III not capable of long OCI's with a good additive package? Just curious.

I would have to say a straight or mostly Group III would not as most of the major regular Syn oils are not listed as long OCI oils by the manufacturers.

Does it make that much of a difference? Valvoline calls Synpower a synthetic when its a GP III and nobody gives them a hard time, as do most "synthetics" out there. If it can do as they claim then there is no need to worry about what GP oil its made from.

Originally Posted By: Jason8691
Does it make that much of a difference? Valvoline calls Synpower a synthetic when its a GP III and nobody gives them a hard time, as do most "synthetics" out there. If it can do as they claim then there is no need to worry about what GP oil its made from.
Seeing as how they are using a cheaper base oil and charging the same price or more than a PAO based oil it's not so appealing. What proof do we have that this cheaper oil can do what Castrol claims? It seems kind of funny that none of the other group III synthetics claim long drain intervals. Maybe the 15-20% PAO is enough though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back