Castrol Edge 5w30 12,229 miles 2004 Volvo S80 2.5T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost disappointed. I was so excited when Edge came to Canada, but now, I might just return the jug that awaits my next OC, And just start running PP until I can get Ultra.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: hate2work

You need to find out where the fuel is coming from and fix it.

He may not have had the oil up to op temp when sample was taken.

True. I had only driven the car for about 5 minutes before I took the sample.

Originally Posted By: Slippery_Pete
I'm almost disappointed. I was so excited when Edge came to Canada, but now, I might just return the jug that awaits my next OC, And just start running PP until I can get Ultra.

Bit harsh, don't you think?

This is 12k, on a TURBO, with no top-up oil added. I'd say it did darn good.

What makes you think Ultra will be SO much better?

Or is this just the anti-Castrol bias that is so obvious on this site?

Originally Posted By: addyguy

+1

give it a shot first. volvo 5 cyl turbo engines are extremely tough engine oil.

Originally Posted By: buster
You better hope Edge prevents high temperature deposits well.

the engine in question has a coolant to oil oil cooler, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Originally Posted By: buster
You better hope Edge prevents high temperature deposits well.

And how would he know one way or the other....not from a UOA.

If you look at the Universal Averages given by Blackstone, the wear shown here isn't bad at all. In fact if you trend it out it looks pretty good.

Oil stayed in grade too, Edge already starts out on the thin side for a 30 weight and it doesn't look like it sheared at all here. I think this is actually a pretty good UOA given the circumstances. If this were my car I wouldn't change anything.

I think the tendency on this site is to flinch at any PPM metals over 20. Will be interesting to see how the 0w40 turns out.

Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
Originally Posted By: addyguy

+1

I guess it was a bit harsh.

I Don't know much about volvos and I was unaware that is engine is an oil beater. Would you agree that Edge would do 12k in a non oil beater car?

The comment was made more about the TBN than anything. I was hoping to see at least some left where as this oil is done.

I don't think the Ultra will be so much better. I might not even get it when it comes to Canada, depends on the price. PP costs %25 less than Edge. If at equal prices Ultra>Edge I would think.

Nothing against Castrol. at $50 for 5 quarts I could run more SSO for a very easy 12k.

That report shows for oyur vehicle the Edge oil is a 7- 8 ,000 mile use oil / not 12,000 miles for sure

Looks like a very good showing for that oil...Turbo engine, fuel dilution, and 12,000 miles and its still in grade...Probably 10,000 miles max on this particular engine being a turbo just to give yourself a little cushion...I'm thinking if it held up that well in a turbo with fuel dilution, a naturally aspirated engine would really like this oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back