Castrol Edge 5w30 12,229 miles 2004 Volvo S80 2.5T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my first UOA back from Blackstone! Now how do I post it? I thought I read some directions a few weeks ago, but haven't been able to find them with the search!

Upload it to a image hosting site like photo bucket. Then copy and paste the URL into to photo thingy here.

Yeah, typing it up guarantees it will last as long as the board does.

Would love to see it - please don't tease!

Another tease!!!
grin2.gif

NO TEASE! Here it is:
I have about 38,000 miles on the car. It's driven approximately 75% backroads at 55-60mph, the remainder in usually light stop-and-go city traffic. I don't drive the car hard. This oil was in use 6-7 months.
This was just an experiment to see how Edge holds up. I'm now using M1 0w40 at 7500 mile OCIs.
I'm very interested in what you guys have to say!
Untitled-1copy.jpg

Oil was run too long for this application. TBN is too low and accounts for the iron wear, other than that it looks good. Oil thinned out and flash point is low.

Find out where the fuel is coming from and that will fix the TBN, flashpoint and most likely iron wear.

Turbo's are hard on oil - it shows here. We had a low-revving, pushrod 3.8 go 12k on this oil and it looked better, but it did have top-off.

Oil did reasonably well, but 10k will most likely be your limit with most oils - I'd take the M1 0W-40 out that far.

Thanks for the UOA!

Originally Posted By: daman
IMO not to shabby for that mileage,i agree tho 10,000 max with that oil.

Just agreeing i.e for 12k miles wear metals look fine.

It's not bad. I'm not familiar if this engine is an oil beater? I'd like to see a direct comparison to Amsoil or M1 EP. Oil is shot. I would just go 8-10k. Not impressed with Edge.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

You need to find out where the fuel is coming from and fix it.

He may not have had the oil up to op temp when sample was taken.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

You need to find out where the fuel is coming from and fix it.

+1

Originally Posted By: buster
It's not bad. I'm not familiar if this engine is an oil beater? I'd like to see a direct comparison to Amsoil or M1 EP. Oil is shot. I would just go 8-10k. Not impressed with Edge.

Wear metals aren't that bad - TBN is beyond elshoto. This engine has a decent sump, so TBN should be a bit higher. Yes - the engine is a famous fuel dumper when not warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back