Castrol Edge 0W30 has BMW LL01 again!

I mentioned this in 0W40 section, but this oil deserves its on thread.
It seems that all time favorite among Euro enthusiasts has LL01 again, and even better, pour point of -60 indicates high % of PAO.

B604B62B-E9DF-4C8C-85B4-7F533D3C0038.jpeg

Aren't all of those statements "Suitable for..." "developed for..." "Exceeds" ? That's still not LL-01 approval, and nothing may have changed with what's in the bottle or the results of certification testing.

Not to take away from or bash Edge 0W30 or 0W40 - I ran the former for many years when it was made in Germany ("GC"), and the latter until it became basically unavailable in my country. I had to switch to PP Euro while my N55 was still under extended factory warranty (and have stuck with it after warranty).

Aren't all of those statements "Suitable for..." "developed for..." "Exceeds" ? That's still not LL-01 approval, and nothing may have changed with what's in the bottle or the results of certification testing.

Not to take away from or bash Edge 0W30 or 0W40 - I ran the former for many years when it was made in Germany ("GC"), and the latter until it became basically unavailable in my country. I had to switch to PP Euro while my N55 was still under extended factory warranty (and have stuck with it after warranty).
It is their standard language. If it is not approved, it is not there. Only suitable for is LL01FE.

But I thought 0w no longer qualified? It can't be possible that the experts on BITOG assumed incorrectly, can it?
You think formulators would never make the necessary changes themselves after 4 years? The market for this oil is dare I say, limited.

In any case I'm going to assume it's an old formula due to API SL being on the label unless it also appears on dealer oil.

Last edited:
You think formulators would never make the necessary changes themselves after 4 years?

So it isn't 0w that is not allowed, but it's more likely updated oxidization tests that were not being passed with the previous 0w oils. If that is the case, BITOG (one person in particular) was in fact wrong.

So it isn't 0w that is not allowed, but it's more likely updated oxidization tests that were not being passed with the previous 0w oils. If that is the case, BITOG (one person in particular) was in fact wrong.
Nobody ever said 0w wasn't allowed. The claim was that some 0w were unable to pass the oxidization test of the 2018 revision.

BMW has been using Castrol 0w30 (LL01FE) as their dealer fill for a almost two years now. Is there any surprise that Castrol released 0w40 and 0w30 in LL01? Nope.
Before 2021 it was Shell 0w30 (LL01FE).

Last edited:
It was always understood that oxidation is an issue (that is confirmed by Motul). 0W was always assumption as Castrol eliminated all oil from having approval.

Nobody ever said 0w wasn't allowed. The claim was that some 0w were unable to pass the oxidization test of the 2018 revision.

BMW has been using Castrol 0w30 (LL01FE) as their dealer fill for a almost two years now.
Before 2021 it was Shell 0w30 (LL01FE)

I know you know that FE is completely different oil so I am not sure how that is relevant. We will agree to disagree that nobody said 0w is not allowed.

Back