Castrol Edge 0w20 vs Edge EP 0w20 gold bottle

Hey folks,

I own a 2018 mazda 3, bought brand new. It has now 85 000 km on it, first 40 000 km was on dealeship bulk 0w20 Petro Canada oil.

After that, I ran Castrol Edge black bottle 0w20 for another 45 000 km.

The OCI here in Canada recommended by Mazda is 8 000 km (I know, very short).

There is a sale on Edge Gold bottle often around here, would I benefit from it? other than longer OCI, bit more MPG/power?

Thanks

You can believe the marketing claims or believe there won't be a dime of difference between the major brands. Todays oils are that good.

Last edited:
I'd just keep using the black bottle at 5000miles, I'm guessing the car is direct injection and the short interval is because GDI engines are pretty hard on oil, usually you're better off sticking with cheaper oil in a DI engine and changing it more often, no point in buying an extended drain interval oil when the reason why you change the oil on a DI engine at such short intervals is fuel dilution and soot loading. I'm not sure I'd even trust Edge EP for 20,000mi unless it's a port injected vehicle that's not known to be hard on oil and even then I'm not sure how much I trust it, compared to Mobil1's EP offering Edge EP seems to be entirely group III while Mobil1 EP 0w20 is 60-70% PAO and even Mobil1 AFE is mostly GTL, I'm not sure what really makes Castrol's offering an "extended performance" oil other than it being in a fancy gold bottle that says "extended performance" on it, for some reason I don't think I'd trust a group III 0w-20 not to shear tremendously before 20,000mi is up.

Back