Castrol EDGE 0W-30 SPT Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think either would work fine.
With the warmer months approaching I might even go with Mobil 0w40 which is available at WM for the same price as their other grades. It is supposed to be one of Mobil's top grades.

Originally Posted By: C_Bjerke
Is this appropriate in a 2002 Volvo V70XC??

Does the owner's manual call for something thicker like ACEA A3/B4? If not, then I'd probably skip Edge 0w-30 and run something with lower HT/HS viscosity and potentially gain a fraction of MPG.

But will Edge 0w-30 work? Sure.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Does the owner's manual call for something thicker like ACEA A3/B4? If not, then I'd probably skip Edge 0w-30 and run something with lower HT/HS viscosity and potentially gain a fraction of MPG.

But will Edge 0w-30 work? Sure.

All it calls for is a MINIMUM of LSAC GF-2, ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF, and SJ/Energy conserving. Besides that, nothing.

I am moving to WA and that's were the next oil change will be. Temps rarely, if that, get above 90*. I just want this car to last forever, or until the doors rust off.

Owner's manual calls for an ACEA A1/B1 unless there is sludge clean up required...in which case, it recommends an A3/B3...you've got a turbo car, but it's not super hard on oil...the flame trap is more of an issue as is regular maintenance. A lot of Volvo dealers in 2002 - 2005 used a dino 5W30 that didn't meet specs, and Volvo had to replace a lot of engines due to sludge from extended drain intervals on oil that wasn't designed for it.

More here: http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/01-23-09/TNN,%20Lubrication%20System%20Contamination%20Cleaning.pdf

I would use whatever you can get more cheaply...and if you've not done the flame trap on this car, it's probably due...got any oil leaks?

No oil leaks at all. Drives quite nice actually.

It has over 137k miles and bought used so I don't know what was done before. It has a full synthetic in it now.

Great! So many of those cars got poor maintenance "It's a Volvo, so it will last..." Yeah, not without oil changes it won't...

Make certain that the timing belt was replaced (in 2002, the interval was 90,000, they since upped it to 105,000 for the same engine). It's an $800 job at the dealer, so it gets blown off...

Learn to appreciate these guys: www.ipdusa.com

And you might head over to this forum...read all about Volvo XCs... www.volvoxc.com

Cheers,
Astro

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Great! So many of those cars got poor maintenance "It's a Volvo, so it will last..." Yeah, not without oil changes it won't...

Make certain that the timing belt was replaced (in 2002, the interval was 90,000, they since upped it to 105,000 for the same engine). It's an $800 job at the dealer, so it gets blown off...

Learn to appreciate these guys: www.ipdusa.com

And you might head over to this forum...read all about Volvo XCs... www.volvoxc.com

Cheers,
Astro

I am on both and have a uncle who is a mechanic and can help me with that timing belt change. ESP for less than 800.

I will be doing that, plus a ton of other stuff after I move. I know there was a oil change previous to mine, but that's about it. I have my little list and will be taken care of in short order.

It has over 137k miles and bought used so I don't know what was done before. It has a full synthetic in it now.

Stick to Mobil1 5W30. Considering it is calling for ACEA A1/A5.
GC would be overkill as well as Mobil1 0W40.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Stick to Mobil1 5W30. Considering it is calling for ACEA A1/A5.
GC would be overkill as well as Mobil1 0W40.

Okie. I tend to go overkill on my cars anyway.

I was given suggestions of the Mobil 1 5W-30, the Castrol German 0W-30, and a Penzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro for my car.

I tend to be 4k-5k OCI personally.

I was given suggestions of the Mobil 1 5W-30, the Castrol German 0W-30, and a Penzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro for my car.

One of these is very unlike the other two in this lineup.
smile.gif

One of these is very unlike the other two in this lineup.
smile.gif

Explain as to which I should consider and what to avoid. . .

M1 5w-30 is ACEA A1/B1, low HT/HS viscosity, and that's what I'd use since that's what your owner's manual calls for.

The other two are ACEA A3/B4, high HT/HS viscosity, and likely overkill in your case, as was already noted by other members.

I've used the Ultra Euro 5w40 in the XC. Works great. It's pricey, though. I've got Ultra 5w30 that I got on sale in it now. $1.98/qt...still have some left...

More data here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2288158/Pennz_Ultra_Euro_5W40,_7848_mi#Post2288158

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2281431/Mobil_1_0W40,_7721_miles,_2002#Post2281431

The T5 has an almost identical engine. Bit more boost, a bit narrower bore, same architecture and control systems.

The M1 0W40 is cheap at Walmart and works well, even 7,700 miles is easy for that oil....

M1 5w-30 is ACEA A1/B1, low HT/HS viscosity, and that's what I'd use since that's what your owner's manual calls for.

The other two are ACEA A3/B4, high HT/HS viscosity, and likely overkill in your case, as was already noted by other members.

Okie. I didn't think overkill was a bad thing, but it seems it is.

There is only a few dollar difference per 6 quarts in each of those three, with Mobil 1 being the most expensive.

Overkill in a sense that you might see slight hit in fuel economy with high HT/HS oil. Other than that, no harm.

Quote:

There is only a few dollar difference per 6 quarts in each of those three, with Mobil 1 being the most expensive.

M1 is actually one of the least expensive synthetic oils at retail - $25/5qt jug at Walmart.

With Castrol 0W30, M1 0W40 or PU 5W40 you will see increased fuel consumption, engine will feel more sluggish, and do not forget, oil temperature might increase.
M1 5W30 would be my choice.

Or should I stick with the Mobil 1 5W-30???

~ Christopher

Which engine do you have in your XC?
If you have the turbo version i would use Edge 0w30 or Mobil 1 0w40

Originally Posted By: magnus308

Or should I stick with the Mobil 1 5W-30???

~ Christopher

Which engine do you have in your XC?
If you have the turbo version i would use Edge 0w30 or Mobil 1 0w40

Yes, it is the 2.4L Inline 5 Cycl Low Pressure Turbo.

Overkill in a sense that you might see slight hit in fuel economy with high HT/HS oil. Other than that, no harm.

Quote:

M1 is actually one of the least expensive synthetic oils at retail - $25/5qt jug at Walmart.

Thanks, but I do not shop at WalMart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back