Castrol Edge 0W-20 Which Data Sheet is Correct?

Castrol Edge 0W-20 has two product spec sheets on the Castrol website and I can’t tell which one is correct for the Castrol Edge 0W-20 I would buy at my local Wal-Mart. Please review this and let me know?

Castrol Edge 0W-20 EC Product Code 470220 Date 1/4/2021

Viscosity 100C 8.1

Viscosity -35C 4200

Viscosity Index 174

Castrol Edge 0W-20 E Product Code 469561 Date 4/2/2018

Viscosity 100C 8.7

Viscosity -35C 4400

Viscosity Index 161

I could not find either of these product codes (470220 or 469561) on the back of the 1 quart or 5 quart Edge 0W-20 container images on the Wal-Mart website so I don’t know which one applies.

I have a new 2019 Nissan Sentra S 6 Speed Manual with about 7000 miles on it. I changed the oil at 4000 miles with Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic 0W-20 and used an OEM Nissan 15208-65F0E oil filter. I have a little valve train noise...some valve tappet noise that goes away once it reaches Full Operating Temperature (FOT) and what I think is some valve chain slack noise that occurs after it reaches Full Operating Temperature (FOT). The tappet noise I suspect is because this 1.8 MRA8DE Engine has solid lifters and there is valve slack when the engine is cold but goes away after reaching FOT. I understand some Nissan Engines are known to have timing chain noise as normal operation. The timing chain slack noise is mainly when sitting still, gear shift in neutral, parking brake on, foot off of clutch, and engine at around 2000 to 2500 RPM...don’t really hear it when driving down the road much. I’m not sure if I heard these noises mostly after the 4000 mile oil change with Quaker State so I’d like to try a different oil on the upcoming 8000 mile oil change to see if it makes a difference in the engine noises. The factory Nissan Motor Oil 0W-20 Full Synthetic, that I assume was in the sump when I bought the car new, has Viscosity 8.32 100C, Viscosity 4316 -35C and Viscosity Index of 174 and the Castrol Edge 0W20 EC Product Code 470220 closely matches the Nissan Oil.

I would like to know which of the two Castrol spec sheets is correct the Castrol Edge 0W-20 EC or the Castrol Edge 0W-20 E. Which one is now sold on the shelf at Wal-Mart, O’Reilly’s, AutoZone etc...

Please note that Castrol is boasting the new API SP and ILSAC GF-6 spec as opposed to the older API SN and ILSAC GF-5 spec for the Castrol Edge 0W-20 now produced.

On a side note, if anyone on this board has a late model Sentra, with the 1.8 MRA8DE engine, please let me know if you have any engine noise between 2000 and 2500 RPM after reaching Full Operating Temperature.

Thanks

Thanks

I found this one as well just now by linking a different way thru the Castrol Website.

Usually, the Global PDS is the most current. I asked Castrol for the EDGE EP 5W-20 datasheet once over Facebook, and after 3 days, someone replied with a link to a 5-year-old PDF file. Trust in certifications and approvals, I guess, that's all you can go by.

Usually, the Global PDS is the most current. I asked Castrol for the EDGE EP 5W-20 datasheet once over Facebook, and after 3 days, someone replied with a link to a 5-year-old PDF file. Trust in certifications and approvals, I guess, that's all you can go by.

YogiTheCat

Yes, drtyley posted the PDS link the the Global PDS 468161. If Castrol would just put a product code or such, on the actual oil container, it would simply be a case of matching it with the PDS to know 100% that you have the right data for the oil in the container. Thanks again for your post.

Back