Castrl Syntec Blend 10W30 Auto RX, Krex, 99 Accord 2.3L VTEC - 3k OCI, 59k on engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one should be interesting:

'99 Accord 2.3L VTEC
59k on engine
3k on oil - Castrol Sytec Blend 10W30
filter is OEM Honda (made by fram)
driving is primarily stop/go city.

sample is AutoRX clean phase oil w/ 10oz ARX added at 1.5k miles into the OCI.

car had previous dealer oil changes. at 50K they added a bottle of "Krex" graphite lubricant. see this thread for more info. I drained that oil, did a quick 100 mile OCI to rinse it, and then added the Syntec Blend at 56k. at 57.5k I added the ARX. This sample is the 3k OCI ARX clean phase oil

Sodium is high - from the Castrol syn blend??
insolubles are high - Krex stuff?
no boron. little moly = weak oil?
low viscosity. low flash point. good grief what happened to this oil??!!
 -

one more note - the coolant used it Honda Blue - which I believe has a heathly does of K. since there's no K in this sample, I'm guessing we don't have coolant in the oil. the Na could be left over "Krex"?

How much urban crawl does this car do? I'm not sure the weak SUS VISCOSITY showing was so much from shear as perhaps fuel dilution. (A good 20 mile romp at highway speeds prior to changing oil would've burned fuel dilution off, but not doing so gives a more accurate picture of the end condition of your motor oil under the conditions the car is routinely operated.) Honda "blue", as well as Nissan "green" and Toyota "pink", are known to have a healthy dose of phosphates for cavitation control and quick aluminum corrosion protection, but someone smarter than me would have to weigh in whether these phosphates are in the form of a dissolved potassium salt. If your coolant appearance and level IN THE RADIATOR are stable, and your motor oil level isn't rising, those're pretty good indicators that coolant and motor oil haven't gotten imtimate behind your back.

mostly urban crawl - especially before the oil change. wouldn't fuel dilution show up as higher %fuel in the sample?

On the krex website, it says engines can reach 1250 degrees...and I assume they mean F not Celsius. My ** meter went off the charts. You should notify the manufacturers of any dealers pawning this crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back