Cash For Clunkers: Clunker strikes back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: swalve

These are cars that people didn't want- nobody forced them to sell. We don't get to pick and choose what people should do with their stuff. For every car that was "murdered", there is another car on the road now that gets better mileage and pollutes less.

No, we don't pick and choose what people do with their stuff, but this was paid for with tax money...some of that tax money came from me. I worked for that [censored].

So, for example, I paid for someone to trade in their nice Explorer, that I probably would have bought, to get something like a Jeep Patriot that will either be repossessed or in the junkyard quicker than it took the Explorer to get broken in.

So very true...

+1

Why is it so hard to grasp that spending money, which we don't have, on these programs is a waste? Forget what the media and geniuses in the white house say, this will not save any jobs or help the economy, eventually taxes will have to be raised to cover this huge deficit, it will not just go away.

C4C was a pretty good program. It probably should be brought back from time to time if necessary to clean up the streets from gas guzzlers. To fund, there should probably be a tax on gas guzzlers. That way, the net effect on the federal budget would be zero.

I hate the term gas guzzler so much. Seriously, if I drive my 22-mpg "gas guzzler" 20 miles a day to work and you drive your 40 mpg eco-box 100 miles a day, YOU are the gas guzzler.

From the well thought out replies on this thread, I've got bridges for sale right now, will be more than happy to make special deals to all those who thought c4c was such a wonderful government program.

+1 That is an often overlooked point.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
There IS a tax on gas guzzlers...when bought new from a dealer.

Yes, but it is unevenly applied with trucks getting a pass. Replace all the EPA standards with a big tax. Those that need a truck to make a living could pass on their expenses. Others would pay for their preferences.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
C4C was a pretty good program. It probably should be brought back from time to time if necessary to clean up the streets from gas guzzlers. To fund, there should probably be a tax on gas guzzlers. That way, the net effect on the federal budget would be zero.

Heck let's not stop there; let's allow the government to seize our gas guzzlers and scrap them without any compensation. We should all be riding bicycles to work like they do in China!

That wouldn't be fair. It has to be voluntary stuff, you just create incentives through tax policy. Something akin to 'making an offer you can't refuse'.

Originally Posted By: css9450

Heck let's not stop there; let's allow the government to seize our gas guzzlers and scrap them without any compensation. We should all be riding bicycles to work like they do in China!

css9450, you are not taking it far enough. Let's make the bicycle the only method of transportation that you can just go into the store and buy, if you want a car, somebody in the government will evaluate how big your family is, how far you commute to work etc. and then will issue an approval for a car purchase, or deem you to public transportation because you don't need a car.

Now, if you are the lucky one to get approved, it's not all downhill yet, because the government will have to decide what type of vehicle you will need, most liley a Trabant. But wait there is more, you can't just go and pick you dream car yet (did I mention that it will be a Trabant?), since GM is run on government efficiency (that will be the only car company that will sell cars approved by the government), you have to wait 5 years+ to get that car... oh... did I mention that the only colors available will be green, gray and red. Enjoy.

BTW. this system was tried once, not too long ago and guess how it worked out????

Last edited:

These are cars that people didn't want- nobody forced them to sell. We don't get to pick and choose what people should do with their stuff. For every car that was "murdered", there is another car on the road now that gets better mileage and pollutes less.

No, we don't pick and choose what people do with their stuff, but this was paid for with tax money...some of that tax money came from me. I worked for that [censored].

So, for example, I paid for someone to trade in their nice Explorer, that I probably would have bought, to get something like a Jeep Patriot that will either be repossessed or in the junkyard quicker than it took the Explorer to get broken in.

There are probably 20 Explorers in your area right now that people would take $3500 or $4500 for, right now.

(Interesting note: when you quote a passage where there is a censored word, the quoted text shows the word in the edit box.)

Originally Posted By: PT1
Remember that the next time you vote.

Exactly. We all get our say when we are in the voting booth. And we get our say by writing letters to our representatives. I wonder how many of the complainers here actually took time to send their congressmen a letter?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: css9450

css9450, you are not taking it far enough. Let's make the bicycle the only method of transportation that you can just go into the store and buy, if you want a car, somebody in the government will evaluate how big your family is, how far you commute to work etc. and then will issue an approval for a car purchase, or deem you to public transportation because you don't need a car.

Now, if you are the lucky one to get approved, it's not all downhill yet, because the government will have to decide what type of vehicle you will need, most liley a Trabant. But wait there is more, you can't just go and pick you dream car yet (did I mention that it will be a Trabant?), since GM is run on government efficiency (that will be the only car company that will sell cars approved by the government), you have to wait 5 years+ to get that car... oh... did I mention that the only colors available will be green, gray and red. Enjoy.

BTW. this system was tried once, not too long ago and guess how it worked out????

Run!

Exactly. We all get our say when we are in the voting booth. And we get our say by writing letters to our representatives. I wonder how many of the complainers here actually took time to send their congressmen a letter?

Actually, I did. I wrote two representatives. One never responded, the other sent me some letter that was a bunch of mindless, pro-CFC bull.

I do vote...and I'm not responsible for anyone who is for CFC.

LOL...clean up the streets?

Actually, I did. I wrote two representatives. One never responded, the other sent me some letter that was a bunch of mindless, pro-CFC bull

That's kind of response I get from Dan Burton when I write him about issues that concern me. I think in order to get them look into an issue seriously, there has to be a critical mass. If your views are different than your representative's views (i.e. more like the views of the defeated party), chances are that you did not and will not vote for him/her, so you are more likely to get a [censored] response.

LOL...clean up the streets?

Yes. Gas guzzlers are bad for America. They fund terrorists.

Crushing a bunch of SUVs is hardly going to make a dent in our foreign oil consumption. How much petroleum is required to make a new car anyway? How much is used to destroy these perfectly good ones? The cars that replace them are still using almost as much fuel.

The problem is, C4C was a JOBS program; it was never about reducing gas usage or saving the environment.

Instead of "gas guzzlers", they just as easily could have targeted "unsafe" cars, or cars with no airbags or old side-impact ratings. "Cash for Killers" could have been the name. Trade in a pre-1997 side-impact-standard car, and get $4500 towards the purchase of a brand new one. The dangerous, naughty old car would then be quickly crushed and thus spare the lives of untold Americans like you and me. Pure genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back