cartridge oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had any negative issues with a cartridge oil filter? I've been using Bosch or Mann filters in my Sorento but will be going for a 10k oci and wanted some input.

2010 Toyota Avalon with cartridge.
Only negative it's was messy my first change.
I follow the instructions now and it's not bad to change....just more time required.
I like being able to see filter media without cutting open.
My tip would be to follow directions / torque and be sure it's the correct filter.

I don't like them.

They were a bad idea in 1960 and they are equally as bad now.

The only plus is you can see the filter media at both installation and removal.

But some whiny environmentalist is happy about my smaller pollution footprint while I get to spend more money and work a little harder just to do an oil change.

Varies by model but cartridge filters seem to have higher failure rates due to the fact that most are sonically welded end disc and sometimes they don't get perfect adhesion.

I have never been too impressed by ecotech cartridges, they always seem to get beat up.

They cost more for less material that's easier to manufacture, and a more difficult filter change as well.

Plus, every cartridge filter I've seen has a plastic center tube e-core

No pluses, many minuses

They should cost less, not more, but that's just the nature of the beast.

I think they are GREAT when they are mounted up top and easy to get to. In this case it's clean and easy to take care of it. But on my MINI, the filter is down on the block between the engine and the firewall. You need to bend a heatshield just to get to it. Then, last time I did this the new "4-inch" gasket didn't seat correctly (partly because I can't see it during install) and I drove off while dumping two quarts of brand new Castrol Edge all over my driveway and into the street!

To elaborate further, the gasket that comes in the box with the filter might fit your filter housing, or it might not! And when it doesn't.... You end up putting the old gasket back on there.

Then, if you're me, you start looking at selling the car. Yep.

Originally Posted By: sourkraut
Has anyone had any negative issues with a cartridge oil filter? I've been using Bosch or Mann filters in my Sorento but will be going for a 10k oci and wanted some input.

No issues here.
Cheaper filters (microguards I got for free w/ oil) may get "squished" when installed in my Vue's Ecotec. Bought AC Delcos off ebay for ~$4ea for my next few changes.

Easy install from above and cleaner than some/most cans.

The one on our KIA is right up top and once I got used to it I admit mighty handy to change. Fast, no mess and you get to see how it did without effort.

Don't like the "less is more" price scam though.

But they have no metal end-caps....laughing at Fram haters.

Some would squash but still work fine.

So, the bypass and ADBV are now non issues, built into the mount, cap, pump, block... or elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech

So, the bypass and ADBV are now non issues, built into the mount, cap, pump, block... or elsewhere.

And just how long are these bypass and ADBV supposed to last, that aren't located in the filter? And how would you replace them? And how much would they cost to replace them? If an ADBV fails, or if bypass fails, how much damage will THAT cause? In a spin-on filter, just throw away the old filter and replace it.

Far from non-issues, they're huge issues!

^^^ Not sure what the built-in bypass and ADBV might be made of, but could certainly be metal-on-metal similar to the pressure relief valve used in an oil pump.

Never had any issues and they aren't as messy as a canister under the engine where oil runs down the side when you loosen it.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Never had any issues and they aren't as messy as a canister under the engine where oil runs down the side when you loosen it.

+1 Never had any issued with the filters in my malibu. I have used different brands and none of them have ever had issues. I got a good price for AC Delcos so that is normally what I use.

Has anyone tested the effectiveness of one filter versus another in regards to dirt trapping or flow?

Originally Posted By: sourkraut
Has anyone tested the effectiveness of one filter versus another in regards to dirt trapping or flow?

That's what the ISO 4548-12 test specification is for. Fram and Purolator (and a few others) test to and reference this spec.

Here's a bench test conducted by Purolator to give you an idea of how the delta pressure (PSID) changes with flow through the filter. This curve will change some with different filters, depending on their overall flow resistance. Most good filters out there will vary by +/- a few PSID from this curve. A filter would really have to vary by a good amount to cause any real problems to oil system.

PureOne Flow vs PSID Test Data

I much prefer cartridges over canisters and wish Honda had made the switch like Toyota. Let's you inspect filter before and after OCI. Construction quality is much better due to being visible. Remoting the bypass means the filter crud isn't flushed through when a bypass occurs. No more concern over the specs and function of the bypass or ADBV. Changes can be less messy than canisters (bottom mounted versus side engine). Once production volume of cartridges get established should see lower prices due to simpler construction. Only ecore has given cartridges a bad rap.

Originally Posted By: mr_diy

I much prefer cartridges over canisters and wish Honda had made the switch like Toyota. Let's you inspect filter before and after OCI. Construction quality is much better due to being visible. Remoting the bypass means the filter crud isn't flushed through when a bypass occurs. No more concern over the specs and function of the bypass or ADBV. Changes can be less messy than canisters (bottom mounted versus side engine). Once production volume of cartridges get established should see lower prices due to simpler construction. Only ecore has given cartridges a bad rap.

There are millions of Ecotec 2.2 and 2.4 engines in use, yet their filter still costs more than spin on filters for other common engines.

It makes me think that cartridge filter prices may go down, however, I think they will never be equal to the price of spin on filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back