cartridge filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
On all vehicles with these type of filters,is the bypass/anti-drain back options that are found in the "can"style filters just built into the vehicle? If that is true, then changing the brand of cartridge filter you use would probably have no effect on start up noises right? Reason I ask is that my 2010 Camry (2.5L) has noticeable start up noise for about 1/2 a second and then vanishes (I assume when oil pressure builds up to the noisy part, which I think is the cam timing devices)
Or am I incorrect and do you think changing the filter element would make a difference? Thanks.

The filter position in the Camry is down so anti-drain shouldn't really be a concern.

I'd try an OEM Toyota filter and Toyota 0W-20 and see if it continues.

In my fleet of Camrys (2 actually, a 2010 and a 2011), I've never had any start up noise. And I've used OEM, FRAM (US built), Purolator, and Wix filters interchangeably.

I've used 0W-20 synthetic and also 5W-20 dino too. No noise.

Could it be a cheap filter and a heavy oil combining to cause the problem, maybe.

My Volvo cartridge oil filter is mounted upward so no problem there with any brand.

The E430 has cartridge oil filter mounted on top of the engine, I tried several different brands and no problem with start up noise. I removed the oil filter holder to exam the filter condition several times, even with the engine off for few hours when I loosen the filter holder I can hear oil flow down into the engine, somehow the built-in anti-drain back in the engine kept the oil in the filter holder.

Never had a car that DIDNT HAVE STARTUP NOISE Regardless of filter or oil option. Some combinations are passable some are BAD. When you hot shutdown a 20 grade synthetic oiled engine - all that oil is gone from parts after a couple hours. The base is non polar, high contact angle and jumps off metal like a water bead off wax. You're better off with Quaker StateGreen Bottle 5w20 and a fram or ?? cartridge than M1 or Castrol or Valvoine or Supertech if you want lessened noise. Likely this is the TCT pressurizing and the VCT engine pressurizing.

NORMAL. Specially cold starting after a hot shutdown.

Originally Posted By: wjli
On all vehicles with these type of filters,is the bypass/anti-drain back options that are found in the "can"style filters just built into the vehicle? If that is true, then changing the brand of cartridge filter you use would probably have no effect on start up noises right? Reason I ask is that my 2010 Camry (2.5L) has noticeable start up noise for about 1/2 a second and then vanishes (I assume when oil pressure builds up to the noisy part, which I think is the cam timing devices)
Or am I incorrect and do you think changing the filter element would make a difference? Thanks.
There are start up noises because the oil drains out of the passages as the engines sits when not running.

Reason I ask is that my 2010 Camry (2.5L) has noticeable start up noise for about 1/2 a second and then vanishes (I assume when oil pressure builds up to the noisy part, which I think is the cam timing devices)

I've noticed this as well on my parent's 2012 Camry 2.5L engine. It gets tmgo 0w20 and a Toyota cartridge filter at the dealer. It is annoying.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Reason I ask is that my 2010 Camry (2.5L) has noticeable start up noise for about 1/2 a second and then vanishes (I assume when oil pressure builds up to the noisy part, which I think is the cam timing devices)

I've noticed this as well on my parent's 2012 Camry 2.5L engine. It gets tmgo 0w20 and a Toyota cartridge filter at the dealer. It is annoying.

Mine does the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back