Cars which sit and timing chain guides

I was watching one of my favorite YTubers last night and the gentlemen mentioned that some engines are prone to developing chain/guide issues if the car sits because the guides become "dry" and it takes awhile for pressure to build up in the tensioner. As a result the chain will INITIALLY contact the guide in such a way that it eventually (years down the road) causes it to break if repeated enough times.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It's definitely a thing on newer modular Ford's with the satanic plastic chain tensioners-the seal blows out & the tensioner collapses, allowing the chain to slap around on the guides & the timing cover. My MGM has it, unless I drive it every day-then it's fine. Sometimes a new silicone ADBV filter slows it down, but it always comes back. I'll put old school cast ratcheting tensioners in it someday... I don't think the guides dry out, though, motor oil has a tendency to cling pretty well.

My 95 Mercedes E320 has a tensioner that holds timing chain tension under oil pressure. But the tensioner also has a ratcheting mechanism that takes up slack and prevents the tensioner from relaxing too much at shutdowm.

Back