Cars that used to be "common", but are gone now

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about cars that never vanished? No matter where I'm at, I still see a GM A-body almost everytime I'm out. They haven't made these for over 20 years, but Centuries and Cieras still litter the roads.

I was following a Morris Minor yesterday, they were common here right into the '80's. When we started importing used Japanese domestics in the late '80's, the older vehicles disapeared almost overnight. Lada's - poof, gone. I had a couple. We also started to export our own used cars, my current boss was involved in that, exporting to Africa. One yard near my old shop was shipping 4 40 footers a week full of cars and parts. There was an African nation using Mitsubishi EX Lancers as taxis, there was someone here buying up every one he could find...very rare to see an EX Lancer today.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
PT Cruisers,

I still see a lot of PT Cruisers, not only in my area but especially when we travel to Florida! My wife and I both hate them so whenever we see one we yell out "PT Cruiser" in an angry tone!
laugh.gif

One car that used to be everywhere here was the Hyundai Pony. In the mid 80s I believe they were either the top selling car in Canada or at least #2 or 3. Now there are virtually zero left, I had not seen one in at least 20 years until I saw a mint condition one for sale at a local car show. They rusted out so badly, that's what killed most of them as I believe they originally came with Toyota engines that easily outlasted the rusty bodies.

Originally Posted by dishdude
How about cars that never vanished? No matter where I'm at, I still see a GM A-body almost everytime I'm out. They haven't made these for over 20 years, but Centuries and Cieras still litter the roads.

The v-6 models were really trouble free, and easy to work on. I wish i still had my ciera. My wife would have a fit if i found a low mileage one. But the are comfy to drive.

The only thing which could improve this thread is pictures.

Here (No. New Jersey) you'd see the occasional Peugeot and Fiat with some regularity. Today, ZEE-ROW.

The neighbor's Hillman Super Minx (try beating that name!) was a singular sensation.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
In Regina, Saskatchewan, Lada, Skoda, Renault and Peugeot used to litter the independent Euro repair shops in the 80's.
By the mid 90s, most had disappeared from lack of dealer network and support.
Neighbors up the street had a Peugeot when I was a kid in the 90s, the only people I have ever known with one. They got rid of it while it was still in good condition, I guess that mystery is solved. They replaced it with a PLYMOUTH Neon, they were very protective of it because I guess it was a new car at the time. Still, it's laughable to look back and see anyone treating a Neon with any sort of reverence.

Originally Posted by Patman

One car that used to be everywhere here was the Hyundai Pony. In the mid 80s I believe they were either the top selling car in Canada or at least #2 or 3. Now there are virtually zero left, I had not seen one in at least 20 years until I saw a mint condition one for sale at a local car show. They rusted out so badly, that's what killed most of them as I believe they originally came with Toyota engines that easily outlasted the rusty bodies.

Saw one of these in Vermont in 1990 with Canadian plates. Already had surface rust that covered the body like lichens cover a granite headstone. Hatchback. Very weird body design but it's what got them a foothold in North America.

Used to see Dodge Intrepids and the Chyrsler variant, the Concorde, everywhere. It's been a long time since I've seen one on the road.

3rd generation Honda Accords (1986-1989) with the pop-up headlights. I had one for 23 years. They were the number one selling car (for retail buyers) during those years and I used to see many of them on the road.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Yep, the big old Delta 88's.

When I was in high school (1983-1987) those were everywhere!! My parents bought a brand new fully loaded blue 1983 Delta 88 2-door. My aunt and uncle both had one,my friends up the street's parents had one,seemed everyone's parents at school had one. I also remember them coming with diesel engines too.

The Ford Tempo/Topaz and now Contour/Mistake have all disappeared. 1st and 2nd gen Taurus/ Sables too.[/quote]

Not all of the Contour's. I still have my 1996 Contour I purchased new in Dec 1995
lol.gif
. It still runs real good and there is only minimal rust forming under the paint on the passenger side front fender behind the wheel well, it's minor and I'll take care of it shortly. Pretty good for living it's life in northern NJ. But generally up here vehicles will develop major rust by 10 years old or even sooner. I use to see many more Contours around here but it's rare to see one now.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
K-cars and Cavaliers are everywhere around here, I've often wondered how folks keep them on the road in the rust belt.
My Sunfire is nearly rusted all the way through in frame in the back wheel well area. It doesn't have too much longer in this world unfortunately. Its a pretty reliable car that is pretty zippy in town.

Funny enough, I feel like I see Cavaliers and Sunfires all the time.

I don't know when I last saw a Cobalt, though-you'd think the newer successor to the Cavalier would be a lot more common.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
The Ford Tempo/Topaz and now Contour/Mistake have all disappeared. 1st and 2nd gen Taurus/ Sables too.

Not all of the Contour's. I still have my 1996 Contour I purchased new in Dec 1995
lol.gif
. It still runs real good and there is only minimal rust forming under the paint on the passenger side front fender behind the wheel well, it's minor and I'll take care of it shortly. Pretty good for living it's life in northern NJ. But generally up here vehicles will develop major rust by 10 years old or even sooner. I use to see many more Contours around here but it's rare to see one now.

Whimsey

I haven't noticed a contour lately but I every once in a while I still see the Jaguar variant. It always made me giggle to see those silly looking cars with that hood ornament on them.

Last edited:
Pontiac Fiero's..... My most vivid memory of the 80's when I was single, was pulling into gas stations on Friday night, (pick up night). And seeing so many girls all dressed in skin tight black leather mini skirts, 5" stiletto high heels, Pat Benatar haircuts with big earrings, filling up their bright, fire engine red Pontiac Fiero's before hitting the clubs. I swear every girl had one.

Originally Posted by billt460
Pontiac Fiero's..... My most vivid memory of the 80's when I was single, was pulling into gas stations on Friday night, (pick up night). And seeing so many girls all dressed in skin tight black leather mini skirts, 5" stiletto high heels, Pat Benatar haircuts with big earrings, filling up their bright, fire engine red Pontiac Fiero's before hitting the clubs. I swear every girl had one.

At my first job out of college I worked with a guy who had an '88 Fiero V6. He decided to sell it after it was stolen twice from his apartment complex. During the test drive I could hear and feel all the body panels rattling and squeaking against each other, which was quite off-putting. I've wondered for years if I shouldn't have bought the thing anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Whimsey
The Ford Tempo/Topaz and now Contour/Mistake have all disappeared. 1st and 2nd gen Taurus/ Sables too.

I'll second that on the 1st and 2nd generation Taurus/Sable and add the 1st and 2nd generation Chevolet Lumina.

I had a 1st generation as a state vehicle when I did summer pool inspections for DHEC. It was a great car, but the all electronic dash on most were finicky as I recall. The 2nd generation Lumina offered the 3.1 and gave Taurus a run for it's money in dependable, quiet with a good ride transportation. I see more 2nd generation Taurus on the rode than Lumina.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back