Carrol Shelby is rolling over in his grave...

Ford is a legendary American company. I am pulling for CEO Farley to succeed. He has his work cut out for him and it will be brutal.
I wish him well. Not that he cares, but maybe he can win me back, as it stands now, he's not even close.

My Ford loyalty left after they told me to kick rocks on the brake failure on my Edge. I know I've brought it up a few times around here. Was even a recall for the exact problem I had and they said mine fell out of the range. It was an 11 month process where they claimed to have it fixed only to have it fail again every couple of months as it progressively got worse. I took it to another shop, paid the exorbitant amount of money to fix the problem, sold it and my F150. I'll never own a Ford again.

My Ford loyalty left after they told me to kick rocks on the brake failure on my Edge. I know I've brought it up a few times around here. Was even a recall for the exact problem I had and they said mine fell out of the range. It was an 11 month process where they claimed to have it fixed only to have it fail again every couple of months as it progressively got worse. I took it to another shop, paid the exorbitant amount of money to fix the problem, sold it and my F150. I'll never own a Ford again.
Ouch!

Oh and total repair cost out of my pocket was $3,100 and that was from the Lincoln dealer giving me a break on some of the labor because of how the Ford dealer flubbed. Their service almost got me to buy a Lincoln, but since Ford corporate put in writing through a letter I received in the mail that they would not cover the repair cost, Lincoln was out as well.

Oh and total repair cost out of my pocket was $3,100 and that was from the Lincoln dealer giving me a break on some of the labor because of how the Ford dealer flubbed. Their service almost got me to buy a Lincoln, but since Ford corporate put in writing through a letter I received in the mail that they would not cover the repair cost, Lincoln was out as well.
Wow. The only new cars I have bought are a '93 Toyota strippie 4wd, several Lex RX450h (one as a special gift to my sister), the Model 3.
All have been stellar. Oh yeah, a stupid '90 black on black Corvette 6 speed that I couldn't afford.

I guess I am starting to understand why people like you and @demarpaint soured on Ford...

Wow. The only new cars I have bought are a '93 Toyota strippie 4wd, several Lex RX450h (one as a special gift to my sister), the Model 3.
All have been stellar. Oh yeah, a stupid '90 black on black Corvette 6 speed that I couldn't afford.

I guess I am starting to understand why people like you and @demarpaint soured on Ford...
I've not had too much issue with any other dealer network. Some haven't been great, but none were as bad as this. So far the best for me has been Jaguar and VW. GM was hit and miss, but I found a wonderful GMC dealer that did the service and gave me a good faith warranty repair once the warranty expired on my 2004 Pontiac GTO because it was so low of miles.

I can't say much bad for Tesla as I haven't had to do much with them, but they're hard to get a call back when I have questions. That was only an issue because I was trying to get a bump forward in my pickup date because of my work schedule. If they had said no it wouldn't have been a negative because it wasn't an available pickup date on the app, but they did after many attempts move our pickup day up a day, which they didn't have to do and was awesome of them.

Shelby wasn't shy about using his name for profit. He's smiling thinking "Dang, I've still got some game!"
I think you are correct! I met Shelby at the Detroit Grand Prix in the early '80's. He was climbing the staircase to the convention center. Resting mid way to catch his breath. Our company was in the paddock nearby him. Anyway we talked for 15 minutes or so, and he touted the up and coming Shelby Dodge turbo cars. Even then, Dodge was able to reach 500HP with their 4 valve designs. Since we were running a turbocharged car, I had much to talk about, especially the potential for huge HP. Which became a life long ambition for me, to get huge HP from turbocharged engines.

We were also nearby the 1.5L Toluene burning 1500HP formula cars. It was quite amazing to follow them around the track during the parade lap, watching the wonderful smelling exhaust heat plume form a huge mirage in front of us. We learned a lot there!

I think you are correct! I met Shelby at the Detroit Grand Prix in the early '80's. He was climbing the staircase to the convention center. Resting mid way to catch his breath. Our company was in the paddock nearby him. Anyway we talked for 15 minutes or so, and he touted the up and coming Shelby Dodge turbo cars. Even then, Dodge was able to reach 500HP with their 4 valve designs. Since we were running a turbocharged car, I had much to talk about, especially the potential for huge HP. Which became a life long ambition for me, to get huge HP from turbocharged engines.

We were also nearby the 1.5L Toluene burning 1500HP formula cars. It was quite amazing to follow them around the track during the parade lap, watching the wonderful smelling exhaust heat plume form a huge mirage in front of us. We learned a lot there!
I always wanted to meet him, but never got a chance. I was working for the Hertz Shelby GT-H project for 2016 which had me working out of the factory in Las Vegas at the time. Obviously it was after his passing, but it was great to see what he developed. Here's a picture I took in the second storage and service building on site including some with my 2006 Vanden Plas.

IMG-6292.jpg

IMG-6290.jpg

IMG-6279.jpg

IMG-6272.jpg

IMG-6277.jpg

IMG-6276.jpg

IMG-6139.jpg

"Carrol Shelby is rolling over in his grave..."

Why? Because he wasn't alive to get his share of royalties, for using his name? If he was willing to let Dodge put the Shelby name on the Omni, what would he car if Ford put it on the electric Mustang?

I suspect if the royalties were right, Carrol would have let them put his name on almost anything. For him, it was all about the $$.

I believe the Mach E cuts power to band aid their overheating problems...
Apparently 10 seconds is the number before power is pulled. Our local dealer has as Mach-E GT in stock. I was talking about this issue with the Mach-E with my wife when I noticed it on the dealer lot. We were in the Model 3 at the time. There was also a Model S 75D 3 cars down for it for sale too for $41k. They want $77k for the Mach-E GT for reference. I checked all of this on the website after the fact.

Back