Carquest R84712 cut open

Friends car. Filter in use 7,800 miles on a 2015 Subaru Legacy with FB25 engine. Filter was on pretty tight and the filter wrench dug into it a bit, but the media was not torn from that

Attachments

• 20230302_144343.jpg
    20230302_144343.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230302_144534.jpg
    20230302_144534.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20230302_144639.jpg
    20230302_144639.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20230302_144349.jpg
    20230302_144349.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230302_144359.jpg
    20230302_144359.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20230302_144437.jpg
    20230302_144437.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 20230302_144442.jpg
    20230302_144442.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230302_144447.jpg
    20230302_144447.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230302_144509.jpg
    20230302_144509.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 86
It is a 5,000 mile oil filter, so can't really blame the filter in this case considering it went nearly 3,000 over. The concern I would have is did this filter fail within the 5,000 mile rating, unfortunately no way of telling in this case.

With that being said I believe this is the same filter as the basic Microgard filter made by M&H of which Whip City Wrench shows it tears very easily compared to the Microgard select filters.

It is a 5,000 mile oil filter, so can't really blame the filter in this case considering it went nearly 3,000 over. The concern I would have is did this filter fail within the 5,000 mile rating, unfortunately no way of telling in this case.
Purolator made filter based on the bypass valve and date code. It's not even loaded much, so it should not have torn the media even at 8000 miles of use. Lots of Purolators were found to have torn with even less miles than what this one had on it. It probably torn way sooner that later.

Last edited:
Purolator made filter based on the bypass valve and date code. It's not even loaded much, so it should not have torn the media even at 8000 miles of use. Lots of Purolators were found to have torn with even less miles than what this one had on it. It probably torn way sooner that later.
I certainly wouldn't recommend running this filter again.

If you look at this video you can see at the 7:39 mark the filter media rips easily.

All very helpful statements above. I had no idea they were that bad. OP do you have some plans for new filter?

I certainly wouldn't recommend running this filter again.

If you look at this video you can see at the 7:39 mark the filter media rips easily.

The Microgard Selects are nice, pretty good efficiency too.

The Microgard Selects are nice, pretty good efficiency too.
Very clean and well constructed filters. Seems like whatever factory in Vietnam making them has either some **** good pride in making oil filters or **** good quality control or both.

The problem is can people get over the fact that it is made in Vietnam and not USA, and it is on the pricier side when you consider that you can get a FRAM Ultra made in USA that filters at 20 microns vs 25 and is almost $2 cheaper.

Personally I prefer supporting made in USA because the less we support made in USA the more products will be made elsewhere like China.

Friends car. Filter in use 7,800 miles on a 2015 Subaru Legacy with FB25 engine. Filter was on pretty tight and the filter wrench dug into it a bit, but the media was not torn from that
What a garbage filter. Not surprised it tore. What went back in and on?

Pic #3. Zoomed in option top right, I see 'what looks to be' a dent in the endcap along the same pleat line as the tear. Imo, if a it is a dent it would take significant force to make it. Possible it could be an optical illusion of that camera angle. That aside, pic #1 shows two significant dents in the can. Not possible pleat torn somewhere either in removing filter from block and/or extracting the filter element itself from the dented/squeezed can?

Not saying it didn't tear in use, but the obvious significantly dented can from removal does add a variable to tear finding here.

Last edited:
Pic #3. Zoomed in option top right, I see 'what looks to be' a dent in the endcap along the same pleat line as the tear. Imo, if a it is a dent it would take significant force to make it. Possible it could be an optical illusion of that camera angle. That aside, pic #1 shows two significant dents in the can. Not possible pleat torn somewhere either in removing filter from block and/or extracting the filter element itself from the dented/squeezed can?

Not saying it didn't tear in use, but the obvious significantly dented can from removal does add a variable to tear finding here.
There is a bit of an illusion. The can is dented but not enough to cause that tear. Was also easily able to remove filter from outer can

There is a bit of an illusion. The can is dented but not enough to cause that tear. Was also easily able to remove filter from outer can
I didn't think or mean to imply dent itself, (if there), caused the tear. Point was, dent showed an area of significant force applied coinciding with torn pleat.

As for second and more important point, I've cut open many OF since joining site and posted c&ps of most if not all. 'In my experience', the elements generally have little clearance between element endcaps and inner lining of can. Many times after using my cutter, I'll need to take needle nose pliers and straighten the cut edge of can to be able to extract element. That on cans with no dents, many of them Purolator made filters.

That said, since you've concluded filter tore in use, best to use another brand, as it appears you've done.

Last edited:
I didn't think or mean to imply dent itself, (if there), caused the tear. Point was, dent showed an area of significant force applied coinciding with torn pleat.

As for second and more important point, I've cut open many OF since joining site and posted c&ps of most if not all. 'In my experience', the elements generally have little clearance between element endcaps and inner lining of can. Many times after using my cutter, I'll need to take needle nose pliers and straighten the cut edge of can to be able to extract element. That on cans with no dents, many of them Purolator made filters.

That said, since you've concluded filter tore in use, best to use another brand, as it appears you've done.
In my opinion even if that kind of damage could cause the filter media to tear if you look closer the filter media is torn most furthest away from the can damage which would lead me to believe the media tore prior to the can damage.

In my opinion even if that kind of damage could cause the filter media to tear if you look closer the filter media is torn most furthest away from the can damage which would lead me to believe the media tore prior to the can damage.
As I noted, my observation is that the two large dents add a variable to the tear cause conclusion here. The dent could be just at the very end of where the wider main force applied of two the dents. That said, my initial post I leaves open that the tear could have been caused in use, but for reasons given previously I don't find it definitive. Reasonable minds can differ, and bottom line the OP has moved on to another brand.

The tear is at a wide pleat, which seems to always be a factor in media failure.

Back