17,185 mi Fram Endurance FE7317 cut open

Nice work! It appears to have caught a good chunk of debris. Especially the first layer which is what you'd expect.

Filter held up well but looks like your engine is making metal. I’m guessing your long oci has done some damage. I’ve cut many automotive oil filters apart and have never seen that amount of metal in a filter.

The only filter that I’ve seen with visible metal in it was from an airplane. Lycoming ate a cam shaft. That makes metal!!!

Filter held up well but looks like your engine is making metal. I’m guessing your long oci has done some damage. I’ve cut many automotive oil filters apart and have never seen that amount of metal in a filter.

The only filter that I’ve seen with visible metal in it was from an airplane. Lycoming ate a cam shaft. That makes metal!!!
The start up rattle the engine has had since brand new has recently gotten worse. I will take front cover off and check chain tensioners and phasers

The start up rattle the engine has had since brand new has recently gotten worse. I will take front cover off and check chain tensioners and phasers
Well yea, extended oil change intervals will not help it either even if you use HPL.

Wicked dry. Impressed with composition of this filter. It was tedious to remove media and well designed. Small deposits in between pleats. Not sure if I would call deposits hard or soft because they are small difficult to focus on, feel grimey in hands. When removing media the deposits would jump out of the media valley so the pictures of larger sections of media do not reflect that each individual pleat valley had similar deposits in each.
Has metal crimp , don't think all have it . I believe the FE9688 is one of them with a glued together media 🤷‍♂️ . Prefer metal crimp .

Last edited:
Well yea, extended oil change intervals will not help it either even if you use HPL.
It's been getting worse for a long time. Not sure I could point a finger at the oci and say that's what did it since it's been rattling since new.

Wicked dry. Impressed with composition of this filter. It was tedious to remove media and well designed. Small deposits in between pleats. ... .
Curious, did you wash that media in a parts washer or with gasoline ... since oil doesn't dry up without "help" ?

Curious, did you wash that media in a parts washer or with gasoline ... since oil doesn't dry up without "help" ?
He said "Wicked dry" ... so probably did the wick with paper towels trick.

1696185097415.jpg

That does not look like metal in the pleats, it looks like carbon deposits removed by HPL. We have seen that on some other HPL C&Ps for example Wwilson's.

Where is the metal? I see lots of black pieces of carbon and maybe a bit of metal. It's normal to have some metal in the filter with any engine.

Where is the metal? I see lots of black pieces of carbon and maybe a bit of metal. It's normal to have some metal in the filter with any engine.
No metal in any filter I’ve ever cut open. 820S cut open this afternoon was clean. If you can see the metal, it’s large and not normal.

Long oci with engine issues is asking for trouble.

It's normal to have some metal in the filter with any engine.
I've never see any metal in the filters after the engine is well broken in ... ie, after 4-5K miles. If metal shows up after that, there's an issue going on with the engine wear.

Your 4000 kilometer oil filter isn't going to dirty any filter so it makes sense that you can't compare your situation to this situation so I don't know why you would?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/motorcraft-fl-820s-cut-open.374292/#post-6643358
So you agree, once the oil has failed, then you get metal. 4000 kms on synthetic oil you will never find metal. The oil is still protecting so there will never be any metal in the filter. 17000 miles on the other hand……

No metal in any filter I’ve ever cut open.
I've never seen a single filter without some metal and I've cut a lot of filters. Try pulling the element out flat on a sunny day and turning your back to the sun. You'll see metal.

I've never see any metal in the filters after the engine is well broken in ... ie, after 4-5K miles.
Cut the element out of the filter, walk outside on a sunny day, stretch the element out, and turn your back to the sun. I promise you that you will see metal.

So you agree, once the oil has failed, then you get metal. 4000 kms on synthetic oil you will never find metal. The oil is still protecting so there will never be any metal in the filter. 17000 miles on the other hand……
There isn't much evidence here that the oil "Failed". Yes, There is carbon debris & I'm sure some metal that tracked with the mileage but this doesn't mean that this 17k run increased metal's on their filter.

Back