Carquest Premium Strut Assemblies

1668625488165.jpg

Has anyone used these?
I think these are made by PRT. The video clip on the advance website has scenes that matches the one shown in PRT's own video. And the part #'s are the same.

I am considering a front pair on my sister's 05 Corolla. Their mounts look a bit nicer than the KYB ones and the price is attractive.

Carid, JEGS, Rock Auto, etc. sell the PRT brand at MUCH less than Advanced Auto, even with shipping added. I did notice that in my case, Carid listed the wrong part number (FWD vs. 4WD), but the AAP site matched the PRT site catalog. Be careful.

EDIT: One just has to decide if they are going the China route. Or, are KYB and Monroe outsourced now also?

Last edited:
Is your sister planning on selling the car?

I will never use strut assemblies again on my car. I had Monroe and I hated it. You're throwing away the Toyota quality OE spring and replacing it with a no name Chinese one all in the name of saving some time.

PRT is a Chinese brand so these are almost certainly made in China, but I think the quality is inferior regardless where they make it.

You can easily tell which car has strut assemblies because it looks like either the front or rear axle has a lift kit installed.

Monroe strut assembly on my old Mazda 3 were garbage. They made a creaking noise and the car rode better on the old worn out struts.

more specifically, to get their hands on Worldpac :sneaky:
And run it to the ground.

Is your sister planning on selling the car?

I will never use strut assemblies again on my car. I had Monroe and I hated it. You're throwing away the Toyota quality OE spring and replacing it with a no name Chinese one all in the name of saving some time.

PRT is a Chinese brand so these are almost certainly made in China, but I think the quality is inferior regardless where they make it.

You can easily tell which car has strut assemblies because it looks like either the front or rear axle has a lift kit installed.
I think it is a 1-5 year car for her and there are a few members on here who have expressed interest in it.

If I go this route, I will save the spring and the other "hard parts." To be fair, I have used the KYB assemblies on a few vehicles with zero issues.

Old post I know, I never tried PRT sorry, but we have an Infiniti I30 that had KYB struts from factory. It never rode or handled well & one totally froze around 80k. I put Bilsteins on it they handled better but were too stiff riding, didn't last much longer than KYBs. I put Gabriel's on it in 2016 and by far those are the best struts I ever found. Rides/handles excellent, still on it smooth as silk & car dont wear tires as bad either.
Decades ago we all ran their High Jacker Air shocks on our muscle cars because the air bags inside the shock not outside like the rest. This protects the bag so they always lasted much longer than others but it also keeps its bag from swelling outward. So their shocks go higher with less air so they rode smoother raised too. They were the best air shocks made. I just never paid attention to their reg shocks then. I run Gabriel's on my trucks. Very good shock company that's been around most/all our lives yet we overlook them a lot of times. Just say'n....

I think the China bangers should take note of that factory. They’re not built by kids sitting on the curb of the road.
Poorly Made in China is a fascinating, easy read about manufacturing over there.

The problems come in in that they simply don't view "good business practice" like we do. And just because you get good product today doesn't mean you get it tomorrow unless you really hold their feet to the fire or maybe own the factory (in which case you still have to watch your suppliers like a hawk)

I'm not suggesting the Chinese are bad or dishonest. They simply have a completely different way of viewing the business world and their definitions of good/bad, success/failure are nothing like ours.

Poorly Made in China is a fascinating, easy read about manufacturing over there.

The problems come in in that they simply don't view "good business practice" like we do. And just because you get good product today doesn't mean you get it tomorrow unless you really hold their feet to the fire or maybe own the factory (in which case you still have to watch your suppliers like a hawk)

I'm not suggesting the Chinese are bad or dishonest. They simply have a completely different way of viewing the business world and their definitions of good/bad, success/failure are nothing like ours.
That book is 14 years old and is an example on how people are missing the game on what’s happening in China. China is exporting EV’s into Europe. They manufactured 27 million cars last year, twice as many as the USA. All I’m saying is watch out, don’t think these guys are wearing straw hats, banging out pots on the street side.

That book is 14 years old and is an example on how people are missing the game on what’s happening in China. China is exporting EV’s into Europe. They manufactured 27 million cars last year, twice as many as the USA. All I’m saying is watch out, don’t think these guys are wearing straw hats, banging out pots on the street side.
Shenzhen and Guangzhou have the facilities to put Silicon Valley to shame. The JVs with the Japanese/Korean/European/American OEs are also sophisticated as well - GM is even importing a Chinese Buick here. There’s still fly by nights in inland China but in the major centers of manufacturing they can scale up and be competitive.

Vietnam is up and coming these days.

I used the carquest quick struts on my old cr-v when I totalled it (the first time) and had to rebuild the front end. I didn't have any issues with them.

Carid, JEGS, Rock Auto, etc. sell the PRT brand at MUCH less than Advanced Auto, even with shipping added. I did notice that in my case, Carid listed the wrong part number (FWD vs. 4WD), but the AAP site matched the PRT site catalog. Be careful.

EDIT: One just has to decide if they are going the China route. Or, are KYB and Monroe outsourced now also?
Shows up for my 01 Grand Prix as Economy. Are the PRT considered Economy?

Back