Carquest Premium 85348

A lot of filters regardless of brand seem to have sloppy glue jobs once and awhile. Glue breaking off isn't good, but should get caught in the media unless you're very unlucky and a piece breaks off and gets swept through the bypass valve. Highly unlikely, but possible.
You're right. I've heard of this happening with other brands as well.

The irony here is that oil filters are supposed to protect against debris in the engine - not create them.

Last edited:
I have a $5 speed perks coupon from AAP about to expire and am considering putting this on my 02 Tacoma 3.4 v6. I found it interesting it says it has 99.5% efficiency at 20 microns. According to the pic on the product page it is made in China so that would be a drawback for me.

Screenshot_20240302-184422.jpg

1000002880.jpg

The cut and posted filter may be residual older stock, newer ones are Premium Guard made like the one pictured above. I have one in the stash, made in China. Some other Premium Gaurds are made in Vietnam but I haven’t seen that on a CarQuest version yet.

Honestly not what I expected to see from title, but coo explains it. When I looked at a new CQ 84356 (7317) recently at AAP had all earmarks of PG made filter with off shored coo.

I can't say with certainty who makes topic filter. Does look similar to Champ Labs filters, but lately been seeing some M&H US filters with similar separate bypass and stamped spring in one design. Purolator and Wix never used that Fram/Champ type bypass piece.

Thanks for c&p.

Back