car totaled, need replacement suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my world Subarus are highly price inflated.

LOVE our 2016 Mazda3...FoF loves her 2016 MazdaX3...sister loves her 2012 Mazda3..ALL are Tourings (hatchbacks).

Want a pampered 2002 Saab 9-3 w/~200,000 miles and a top end rebuilt engine?

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I would consider another G35. You are familiar with with the G35 and the resale value is not as high as the Acura and others. The Vws have reliability issues. I would think the Suburu's opposed engine would be expensive to work on. .02.

^This or Acura.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
The day finally has come where I need to find a replacement car for my daily driver, 2005 Infinti G35 AWD sedan. Car is a total lost

Wreck pics please!!!

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
Or a Mazda 5 with the 2.5L High 20's mpg a great handling on 2012-1015 Sport.

... inconspicuous!!! for a mini-minivan

It is a taller and longer Mazda3 with NA 2.5L engine.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The Subaru is junk

Tell us how you really feel.
lol.gif

I'd like to see the data (decreasing sales, above-average consumer complaints, negative reviews by industry testers, etc) to back up his opinion... it's kind of hard to have 60+ straight month-over-month sales increases, and the best overall resale value of any brand 3 of the past 4 years if you're selling junk...

I've had 4 Subarus, and still have an 01 Forester with 221k and it is STILL more reliable than my 06 Odyssey and at least on par with my 11 Fusion (both of which my wife bought on her own
mad.gif
).

Oh, and while the NA 2.5s are certainly not fast, they are fairly fun to beat on. Plus, slower cars are easier on tires, brakes, gas, etc...
smile.gif
I have a blast tossing my Forester around in the snow with the 50/50 "power" split, and while it does have a good amount of body roll it's predictable. What's more exciting.. going 100 in a Vette, or in a Forester LOL

And if you want to really trip your trigger, do a you tube search and find where they compared actual 4WD capabilities with Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc. You'll be amazed at what you see. There is only one brand of vehicle that will pull with just one wheel. Hmmm...I wonder which one beat Toyota, Honda, Chevy , Ford, Dodge, etc?

It's a truly amazing video. It's the one using rollers on an incline. They put a solid piece of metal over the rollers and under only one tire at a time.

I think that year TL had really bad torque steer.
07 was a complete remodel for the G35. 08 same car. They are fast and RWD and are nice cars.
Me, I don't want a FWD unless it's AWD all the time.

Get a classic restomod and be done with it. All the cars today look the same. Don't be a lemming! Find a nicely built 40's or 50's car on a modern chassis. Have something you really can work on yourself AND that you can really enjoy!

You can fine good ones at fair prices at places like Streetsideclassics.com or Gatewayclassics.com... or run over to Barrett Jackson or Mecum and do a little bidding. Keep an eye on local ads as well. Plenty of places to find nice, well built, won't break the budget classics to meet any taste.

Just sayin'

First I'd go test some Craigslist cars and see what fits and is comfy. What has room and space to load stuff.

Once I found something interesting, I'd go online and join a forum for that make/model and see what's up with ownership ...

Then I'd fly to LA,Vegas, or Phoenix and find one used and drive it home. No rust, prolly have service records, you'd know if it was a real fit by the time you got there. If you don't like it, flip it for a profit and do it again.

There is absolutely no way we can tell you what looks and feels right. Can't be done. What I like is almost guaranteed to be not what you like ...

I can say without a doubt I have been most impressed with the Gen I V6 Ford Fusion SE. A loaded one. HUGE trunk, easy access and comfort, and I'm pretty sure they came in AWD. Pretty darn quick and they make excellent gas mileage, as long as you can keep your foot out of it
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

...Then I'd fly to LA,Vegas, or Phoenix and find one used and drive it home. No rust...

I've flown the Nashville and Jacksonville for 2 of my cars. One thing I like about Lexus, is that you can go online with the VIN and get the service records. When I see oil changes every 5K, regular coolant changes, brake fluid flushes, etc. I get all jacked up.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
And if you want to really trip your trigger, do a you tube search and find where they compared actual 4WD capabilities with Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc. You'll be amazed at what you see. There is only one brand of vehicle that will pull with just one wheel. Hmmm...I wonder which one beat Toyota, Honda, Chevy , Ford, Dodge, etc?

It's a truly amazing video. It's the one using rollers on an incline. They put a solid piece of metal over the rollers and under only one tire at a time.

On the road though, they all work well enough. We are probably going to get an Outback soon, but I'd be perfectly happy if the AWD worked the same as our CRV. I guess I'd be sorry if I get stuck on a set of rollers someone left on a trail in the woods, but that doesn't seem to happen too often!

Last edited:
Indylan, did you watch the video
grin.gif
?

Please don’t rain on my parade. I don’t even like Subaru’s but the video is awesome!

Originally Posted By: shokhead
I think that year TL had really bad torque steer.
07 was a complete remodel for the G35. 08 same car. They are fast and RWD and are nice cars.
Me, I don't want a FWD unless it's AWD all the time.

The 07 and 08 TLs got the transmission from the RL which is a bit beefier (early TLs had failures) and had much less torque steer.

What edmunds says

It's a well-known fact that front-wheel-drive cars tend to only take so much power before torque steer takes over and the car darts off in whichever direction it chooses. Despite healthy doses of 258 hp and 286 hp, respectively, both the base TL and Type-S manage to feel no worse for wear. Its steering is incalculably precise, and the car's cornering is tack-sharp. The Type-S in particular is the best that front-drive gets. In fact, only when driven aggressively back to back with rear-wheel-drive competitors like the Infiniti G35 or Lexus IS does the TL start to suffer from its drivetrain. Yet for a majority of buyers, the TL provides a tremendously sporty driving experience that nevertheless is the smoothest operator in its segment. Even the edgier Type-S is well within the acceptable range of ride comfort. Whether on a straight slog from K.C. to Denver or on a high-speed tour of the Smoky Mountains, the 2008 TL delivers.

Originally Posted By: shokhead
What edmunds says

It's a well-known fact that front-wheel-drive cars tend to only take so much power before torque steer takes over and the car darts off in whichever direction it chooses. Despite healthy doses of 258 hp and 286 hp, respectively, both the base TL and Type-S manage to feel no worse for wear. Its steering is incalculably precise, and the car's cornering is tack-sharp. The Type-S in particular is the best that front-drive gets. In fact, only when driven aggressively back to back with rear-wheel-drive competitors like the Infiniti G35 or Lexus IS does the TL start to suffer from its drivetrain. Yet for a majority of buyers, the TL provides a tremendously sporty driving experience that nevertheless is the smoothest operator in its segment. Even the edgier Type-S is well within the acceptable range of ride comfort. Whether on a straight slog from K.C. to Denver or on a high-speed tour of the Smoky Mountains, the 2008 TL delivers.

Any front drive car will have some amount of torque steer, the 2007-2008 are much improved over the 2004-2006. They also look better than the early G and the Lexus IS. I liked the Lexus IS when I drove it, but it seemed fairly cramped. I'm only 150lbs but my head seemed very close to the ceiling.
21.gif

OP should drive a bunch of cars he is interested in and see what he likes. There are a few cars I've liked until I drove them.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Then I'd fly to LA,Vegas, or Phoenix and find one used and drive it home. No rust, prolly have service records, you'd know if it was a real fit by the time you got there. If you don't like it, flip it for a profit and do it again.

The only way I'd fly in to buy a car over 5 years old in Arizona is with assurance it spent it's life in a garage. No rust is true but so is sunburnt paint and interiors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back