Car shopping time, ugh

Wife's 2013 Equinox met an untimely demise. Stepson had a close encounter with BMW, fortunately everybody's OK. Got the word from the adjuster, it's a total loss. We'd already pretty much decided we're replacing it this summer, but I guess that has been moved up. On the plus side, it has been a repair queen and I won't miss fixing it. On the downside, we just spent a chunk of change fixing it to pass e-check. Fortunately we've had some nice weather so she's driving my Pilot, the MG has been getting me to work, and stepson won't be driving again for a while. Wife has decided she likes driving my Pilot and thinks we should get a truck, or at least something with a little bit better towing for our travel trailer. So not looking forward to car shopping...

Crown Victorias are probably good tow rigs.
Saw late 90's grand marquis squatted down dragging two lawn mowers and other stuff on a trailer. Don't underestimate what a Mexican will do to their vehicle. Also saw a rare and beautiful 2009 escalade esv in that special blue paint being used as a lawn care truck. Yeah i was gobsmacked when i saw a near mint 09 escalade esv being used for that. Was almost upset.

CPO Camrys have been near perfect for over 5 yrs. I didn't even involve myself in the process. I just asked my wife to only buy a 4 cylinder. :cool:

Not sure what your budget is, but from a pricing standpoint (only), it is difficult to beat a new Ram 1500 for a full-size pickup. On average you can get a leftover 2022 for $10k off MSRP, at least out here.

"... it is difficult to beat a new Ram 1500 for a full-size pickup. On average you can get one for $10k off MSRP..."

Yeah, but isn't that because there's a cheapness to RAM products? I'm not RAM bashing.

"... it is difficult to beat a new Ram 1500 for a full-size pickup. On average you can get one for $10k off MSRP..."

Yeah, but isn't that because there's a cheapness to RAM products? I'm not RAM bashing.
It is a nice truck when it works. Ride quality, NVH and driving experience are top-notch. But quality, whether you're referring to their suppliers or the overall build quality, can be spotty.

Anyway, here are two examples:

Wife's 2013 Equinox met an untimely demise. Stepson had a close encounter with BMW, fortunately everybody's OK. Got the word from the adjuster, it's a total loss. We'd already pretty much decided we're replacing it this summer, but I guess that has been moved up. On the plus side, it has been a repair queen and I won't miss fixing it. On the downside, we just spent a chunk of change fixing it to pass e-check. Fortunately we've had some nice weather so she's driving my Pilot, the MG has been getting me to work, and stepson won't be driving again for a while. Wife has decided she likes driving my Pilot and thinks we should get a truck, or at least something with a little bit better towing for our travel trailer. So not looking forward to car shopping...
Of course you aren‘t. No matter how much you bargain, bluster, or bicker you’re gonna go home after the deal, have a sleepless night, and wake up feeling like you’ve been bent into a pretzel. I don’t envy you.

One thing I'll have to do that I didn't do with the Equinox or my Traverse; search for common complaints and problems before committing to anything. Really wish I had known about the Traverse's troublesome timing chains, or the Equinox's problematic piston rings and rust-prone doors beforehand.

I haven't even been in a non RAM pickup in a long time, everyone I know has a RAM. I think if you go drive them around they actually are the most comfortable of the 3, and I don't think have too many major flaws? No worse than the 3.5 ecoboost anyways?
I think there's no better deal in pickup trucks than RAM selling the previous generation truck for a couple years for much much less than the current ones, if you just want a nice cost effective truck. Folks around here who want to show off then get the fanciest GM though.

Glad everyone is okay. Good luck with your search.

My wife was also supportive of a truck (for hauling stinky stuff, not towing). Checked out the big 3 and Ford F150 was by far my favorite for model year 2021. I wanted the latest tech and ended up in an XLT 302A trim level. Exclusive of motorcycles it is my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. It's had a few recalls but nothing I would have likely ever noticed.

Ram rode nice but the window sills and dash are so high that I felt like sitting in a well, visibility was not great. (I'm 5'7"). Neither Ram nor Chevy offered adaptive cruise with cloth seats. I use adaptive cruise every day commuting in heavy freeway traffic and will never be without it again.

I also drove the Honda Ridgeline and loved it except for one thing: The adaptive cruise control absolutely sucked. If you don't need ACC it's definitely worth a look, especially since you and your wife like the Pilot.

Your experience with the Equinox reminded me of one of my neighbors. She has one, don’t know the year but the transmission failed and it’s been in the shop for a few weeks now.

Good luck on your upcoming car shopping adventure.

All I can say is, good luck, and drive 'em all. Take notes, like maybe after any test drives, write down all your thoughts. Go in with the attitude of "I'm not buying today", let the sales person know you're just test driving, and drive all that you can. Take notes and compare against other's reviews.

Search AutoTrader dot com for what somewhat distant dealerships offer. It may be worth a day's drive to get a far better price. You can set the search distance in the menu.

In Jupiter, FL the nearby dealerships seem to be cost plus 10%+. An hour drive North changes the situation markedly.

Back