Car fire caused by oil filter?

I'm not sure how many of you are active on Youtube, but a well-known Youtuber (Adam LZ) posted a video about his Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, caught on fire on track due to the oil filter coming loose and spraying oil causing an engine fire. According to the video, this is a well-known issue with this car. So, I guess we should be talking about engine oil filter torque specs now. LINK TO VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzFz5xtF47o&t=1790s

EDIT: Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 NOT GT500.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
I'm not sure how many of you are active on Youtube, but a well-known Youtuber (Adam LZ) posted a video about his Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, caught on fire on track due to the oil filter coming loose and spraying oil causing an engine fire. According to the video, this is a well-known issue with this car. So, I guess we should be talking about engine oil filter torque specs now. LINK TO VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzFz5xtF47o&t=1790s

Guys on the Mustang boards with the GT350 had oil filters that would often loosen up - apparently related to engine vibrations of the flat plane crankshaft. The fix was to torque to spec (of course) and then lock wire the filter to prevent it from loosening. Ford changed the oil filter from a spin-on to a cartridge filter on the later model GT350s. Apparently the GT500 still has a spin-on.

Update - I see in the video it is a GT350 ... not a GT500.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Guys on the Mustang boards with the GT350 had oil filters that would often loosen up. the fix was to torque to spec (of course) and then lock wire the filter to prevent it from loosening. Ford changed the oil filter from a spin-on to a cartridge filter on the later model GT350s. Apparently the GT500 still has a spin-on.

Update - I see in the video it is a GT350 ... not a GT500.

Thanks for catching that, yup totally put GT500 instead of GT350.

Also towards the end of the video, he stated Ford offers a relocation kit for $500 to allow it to become a cartridge-style filter. I am super interested to see who did it, to see how it works.

Also towards the end of the video, he stated Ford offers a relocation kit for $500 to allow it to become a cartridge-style filter. I am super interested to see who did it, to see how it works.

Typical Ford...they have a design defect and instead of them stepping up and fixing it at NC they charge the customer for their error, and $500 at that...

Originally Posted by CR94
A few years ago there was a rash of fires from oil leaking from double-gasketed filters on Hondas.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - At least 27 Honda CR-V sport/utility vehicles from the 2003 and 2004 model years burst into flames shortly after getting their first oil changes, according to newspaper reports Friday...There were about 140,000 CR-Vs sold in the United States in 2003 and Honda said 22 of them caught fire from the apparent oil filter problem, the Post reported. So far this year, five owners of 2004 CR-Vs have reported such fires to NHTSA, the newspaper said.

The problem is believed to happen one of two ways: The O-ring gasket on the old oil filter sometimes sticks to the crankcase, and if the new filter is installed over it, oil can leak around it. Or, if the gasket on the new filter isn't lubricated properly, it might set incorrectly and allow oil to leak around it. Then it can spray onto the hot manifold and burn.

Honda S2000s also have this problem. Most likely due to the high RPMs, and during track use they can vibrate loose. It is best to use the OE filter and torque them to the correct spec with a torque wrench. They also have a few safety devices that can be purchased from a few different companies that uses a bracket and a clamp on the filter to prevent it from coming off.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Typical Ford...they have a design defect and instead of them stepping up and fixing it at NC they charge the customer for their error, and $500 at that...

Yup, how thoughtful of them.
lol.gif
crazy.gif
It's not like the GT350 is a huge volume seller.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I guess I'm just confused about how one would safety wire a spin-on canister oil filter to not come off.

Yeah, I am thinking the same thing. Does anyone have any photos or links to one of these?

I guess I'm just confused about how one would safety wire a spin-on canister oil filter to not come off.

Yeah, I am thinking the same thing. Does anyone have any photos or links to one of these?

Even with something like the K&N which has a hole already on the filter nut, I'm assuming some sort of bracket would need to be made for the engine block.

Originally Posted by 928
Race guys would put a big hose clamp on the filter, tighten & then safety wire it to the nearest object-

Why K&N had the safety wire holes in the nut …

Just tack weld a small drilled metal tab on the end and safety wire it. There's always something nearby to wrap around. That tab is the only safety the oil filter on my plane ever used and there's nothin that shakes like a Continental 4 banger.

Just use a hose clamp on the filter can, then safety wire to a good point near the filter and wire it so the filter can't loosen. Typically motorcycle racers need to safety wire the oil filter, drain plug and oil filter cap, so don't know why the car guys that track their cars aren't at least required to have the oil filter safety wired. Must be a track by track rule thing.

Adam LZ even said in the video he was aware of how oil filters can loosed on the GT350 due to the high revving flat-plane engine, so he should have safety wired it the first time he found it loose. Anyone tracking their GT350 should know this needs to be done. Maybe they will now since Adam's video will spread like wildfire through the GT350 community.

[Linked Image]

Aside from the track case … gasket touches plus 3/4 still works …
many miles down beat up roads and never an issue …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Aside from the track case … gasket touches plus 3/4 still works …
many miles down beat up roads and never an issue …

It's a GT350 flat plane engine thing. Main reason Ford change the filter from a spin-on to a cartridge filter on the GT350.

Back