Car brand that burned you so bad on reliability you'd never buy again?

My dad owned a 1956 or so chev pickup. Hayes it so bad he never owned another gm. He bought a early 70's ford truck. Hated it so bad he never bought another ford. He bought a 1966 coronet new in 1966 and drove it until the mid 80's when it rusted out. Has owned Dodge trucks and Van's since 1974.

GM.
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by MCompact

Those are good ones to
Bring Money Withya

Is the the one hear most often around here !

Hysterical! Did you think that up all by yourself?
A future in stand-up comedy may await you.

...†...†...†
Ive got a buddy who loves his BMW's and spend crazy money everytime he takes one to the shop for just simple stuff to be fixed. So that's what I ask him every time he goes back to pick it up !

Getting to pay the dealer for repairs of your German car is the best part of ownership.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

Those are good ones to
Bring Money Withya

Is the the one hear most often around here !

Hysterical! Did you think that up all by yourself?
A future in stand-up comedy may await you.

Indeed.

I have heard many of the same stories, some are horrible. Many are compounded by ignorant owners and even more ignorant servicing.

What you never hear are the hundreds of thousands of happy owners. They are quiet...

And the multiple hearsay reports are motivated by envy and the sour grapes philosophy.

...†...†...†
Ive got a buddy who loves his BMW's and spend crazy money everytime he takes one to the shop for just simple stuff to be fixed. So that's what I ask him every time he goes back to pick it up !

It IS depressing. I started driving BMWs at the age of 26 and as a result of the astronomical maintenance costs I wasn't able to retire until I turned 52...

BMW.. Expensive POS. What gets me are the owners who just except gaskets all over the engine leaking at 30k miles, water pumps going at 60k miles, suspension bushings lasting 20k miles etc. Things NO owners is Japanese or even American cars would accept. Things that last 100-200kb in every other make. And I've owned several VWs which broke a lot too but BMW is on a new level of fail.

Originally Posted by stanlee
BMW.. Expensive POS. What gets me are the owners who just except gaskets all over the engine leaking at 30k miles, water pumps going at 60k miles, suspension bushings lasting 20k miles etc. Things NO owners is Japanese or even American cars would accept. Things that last 100-200kb in every other make. And I've owned several VWs which broke a lot too but BMW is on a new level of fail.

Now that's what I call articulate and well-written. I'm very impressed, and I suspect that you might even have sat in a BMW or two...

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Renault, SAAB, Toyota, Honda, VW, GM, Ford, Ford, Ford, Ford ...

Can I say that they are all pretty bad?

I've had over 70 cars over 50 years . Most bought NEW.

Only a small handfull that were keepers.

I win for sample size!

ARCO, what do you like, though; which were keepers?

Me, I have had 1972 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, 1978 Chevrolet Nova, 1970 Olds Cutlass, 1987 Plymouth Reliant, 1997 Honda Civic, 1999 Toyota Camry, 1999 Toyota Corolla, 2017 Mazda6, 1994 Mercury Topaz, 1979 VW Kombi (van). No guffaws, please. Each, in their own right, worked for me. The Plymouth Reliant, for me, actually did yeoman's service. The Camry (L4, 5 speed), simple-stupid - was a gem by way of quality.

Last edited:

Now that's what I call articulate and well-written. I'm very impressed, and I suspect that you might even have sat in a BMW- maybe even two!

lol you certainty fit the profile of an authentic (butt hurt) owner. Yes I infact owned an N54 335i for over 200k miles and it's a trash car reliability wise after about 30k miles. Turbos replaced under warranty at 62k miles... I've been a member of bmw forums for years and they ALL agree it's trash except the actual long block and manual transmission. They just accept "pay to play" and let BMW hose them. I did it ONCE. did most repairs myself. Did the usual mods (intercooler, flash, DPs) after the turbos, $500 oil filter housing gasket, $1400 valve cover gasket, $1000 water pump dealer prices among other things ALL failed by 60k miles..... But I didn't own one. Yeah ok.

Last edited:

Now that's what I call articulate and well-written. I'm very impressed, and I suspect that you might even have sat in a BMW- maybe even two!

lol you certainty fit the profile of an authentic (butt hurt) owner. Yes I infact owned an N54 335i for over 200k miles and it's a trash car reliability wise after about 30k miles. Turbos replaced under warranty at 62k miles... I've been a member of bmw forums for years and they ALL agree it's trash except the actual long block and manual transmission. They just accept "pay to play" and let BMW hose them. I did it ONCE. did most repairs myself. Did the usual mods (intercooler, flash, DPs) after the turbos, $500 oil filter housing gasket, $1400 valve cover gasket, $1000 water pump dealer prices among other things ALL failed by 60k miles..... But I didn't own one. Yeah ok.

So you are an expert! My sincerest apologies. Me, I've only owned 12 since 1983, so I bow to your unsurpassed expertise. And I'm incredibly worried now, as every one of my BMWs(and Mini) has over 30k miles on them and three have over 120k miles on them. Woe is me; certain financial ruin undoubtedly awaits...
crackmeup2.gif

It seems to me that if a person likes how a car drives, and also is an enthusiast by way of reading-up on the car and the weak spots and the fixes... and what's more - if a person does the repairs him/herself - then it becomes easier to take, and perhaps does not create as much animosity. The comment Pay to Play I think rings true, to some extent... where, in the case of BMW's - perhaps with the exception of the electric power steering system on SOME of the later models - indeed the cars run nicely and folks do overlook some of the costs of daily driving the Make.

And how that dream of owning BMW actually ended?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by dlundblad
It's hard to blame a brand for a few lemons. They all have them. Anyone who thinks they don't isn't being honest with themselves.

I can tell you a few dealers I wouldn't do business with though.

It's much like the internet ratings … not enough go out of their way to praise … but the complaining is thick.

Id do my best to praise good dealers. Actually, I have. Anything from an average to above and beyond experience is worth mentioning IMO.

Last edited:

So you are an expert! My sincerest apologies. Me, I've only owned 12 since 1983, so I bow to your unsurpassed expertise. And I'm incredibly worried now, as every one of my BMWs(and Mini) has over 30k miles on them and three have over 120k miles on them. Woe is me; certain financial ruin undoubtedly awaits...
crackmeup2.gif

Dude the topic is what car did you have that was so unreliable you wouldn't do it again. As I said you sound butt hurt because you obviously like them. I loved driving the car but it wasn't worth the cost to keep on the road.

Well, it might be looking like GM for me. I swore I'd never buy one, then I bought one (Silverado) brand new in 2018...the thing has had a check engine light (cylinder 5 misfire), which went away and hasn't returned, and that's great, but the transmission shutters on the highway going up hills. At least I think it's the transmission...maybe it's a misfire? Feel more torque converter...and doing a search...well, it could be a number of things apparently because a number of things are known problems with these trucks...injectors, torque converters, drive shafts, Chevy shake, lifters.

So I'm at 52,000 very babied well maintained miles now and I'm starting to wonder if I should get rid of the thing. Bought it new, wasn't exactly a cheap purchase.

Interesting thread! It will certainly bring out some stories.

I've owned vehicles across quite a few brands; Dodge, Plymouth, Ram, Jeep, Mazda, Toyota, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Ford, Chevy, VW and Land Rover. Of all of those, the worst POS was the VW - 2006 Jetta TDI.
Other than returning phenomenal mileage (50+ mpg at 70 mph on the highway), it had too many engineering issues which VW refused to acknowledge. 1st was the dual mass flywheel (it was a manual trans). DM flywheels on TDI's were exploding quite commonly and owners were routinely told they didn't know how to shift a manual trans. VW finally issued a world-wide recall for that flywheel everywhere EXCEPT North America. The chattering on mine got bad enough to the point where I removed it myself and found the DM flywheel in the process of separating. Replaced it with the solid flywheel from a VR6 and problem solved, but I shouldn't have had to do that. 2nd, the camshaft actuated fuel pump, internal to the head (PD diesel) was very poorly lubricated leading to premature cam follower wear and scoring on the valve buckets, the injection pump buckets and on the cam lobes themselves. When I pulled the valve cover and found that, in its early stages, I sold the car with full disclosure to the new owner.

2nd worst was Chevy, and both of those were Corvettes; a 1988 and 1994 respectively. Too many issues to list, and these were Chevy's flagship model. You could not give me another Corvette, or any GM vehicle for that matter.

The Toyota, Porsche (911), Mazda's (RX7's) and Subaru's were flawless. The RX7's particularly were built like tanks. Don't know if current Mazda's still are.

The first few Mopars, 60's and early 70's models were good cars; built strong and designed to be easily maintained. The Dodge truck, 95, with the Cummins diesel, had a few issues which I had to sort like the death wobble (which STILL affects current Ram and Ford 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4's). I would still have that 95 but its rust proofing was terrible and was literally rusting off of the frame, and this was in N. Va, not the rust belt.
The other two Ram trucks were good vehicles, in general, however, the last, a 2017 1500, got very tired of trying to deal with the persistent valvetrain tick on the "hemi" engine. More than likely a poor quality part, such as a lifter from a supplier, but just didn't want to go thru the hassle of sorting it, as dealers only would say that noise is "normal", which is clearly BS.

First Jeep (Wrangler) was a good solid (95). 2nd, a 2003 was similarly good except it's crappy manual trans. Had to replace it at ~60k miles. The 3rd and last Jeep we will ever own was an ordered 2012 which leaked badly in every rain. Multiple dealer visits yielded only temporary fixes. Walking thru a dealer lot after a rainy night, I personally opened the doors of over 6 Wranglers with water on the floor. Got rid of that vehicle, said farewell to Jeep and have never looked back.

Am on my 3rd Ford. The first, a 92 Explorer started off great but had several niggling issues. The 2nd, a Boss 302 Mustang was superb. The F150 I currently drive is also a great truck.

Lastly, the Land Rover, our 2nd so far has been great. The first one also was great. Fingers are still crossed tho.

Originally Posted by Tim_S
Interesting thread! It will certainly bring out some stories.

First Jeep (Wrangler) was a good solid (95). 2nd, a 2003 was similarly good except it's crappy manual trans. Had to replace it at ~60k miles. The 3rd and last Jeep we will ever own was an ordered 2012 which leaked badly in every rain. Multiple dealer visits yielded only temporary fixes. Walking thru a dealer lot after a rainy night, I personally opened the doors of over 6 Wranglers with water on the floor. Got rid of that vehicle, said farewell to Jeep and have never looked back.

Am on my 3rd Ford. The first, a 92 Explorer started off great but had several niggling issues. The 2nd, a Boss 302 Mustang was superb. The F150 I currently drive is also a great truck.

Lastly, the Land Rover, our 2nd so far has been great. The first one also was great. Fingers are still crossed tho.

I have a 1999 Wrangler I bought in 2002 to use as a parade car in a campaign; I fully intended to sell it after the election but my wife and son ended up liking it as much as I did so it has been a part of the family for nearly 18 years.

I was all set to buy a used 2013 School Bus Yellow Boss 302, but upon inspection I found that the PO had replaced the exhaust(I liked the OEM side outlets) and fitted a one piece driveshaft. I was very disappointed.

I've been tempted more than once by a LR, glad to see you are having good luck with yours!

Originally Posted by mclasser
Chrysler. We had a Plymouth Voyager growing up and it needed 3 transmissions before 75k miles. That and the random electrical gremlins swore me off Chrysler products for life.

Same with my 1990 Dodge Spirit- A604 needed 3 rebuilds. Not a big deal but after the 3rd rebuild lasted less than 10k (and of course just out of the 7/70 warranty) Dodge gave me the run-around. Won a small claims court case over that fiasco.

Back