Car brand that burned you so bad on reliability you'd never buy again?

Mercedes. Spent many thousands keeping a new Mercedes Sprinter on the road. Absolute GARBAGE. My blood starts to boil just thinking about it.

Nissian
Had a maxima with all kind of problems.
It was a fast car with the V6.
It was second hand and may have had a hard life

Mercedes. Spent many thousands keeping a new Mercedes Sprinter on the road. Absolute GARBAGE. My blood starts to boil just thinking about it.

Curious what year engine and trans/ mileage?

Thanks

Dave

Well, it might be looking like GM for me. I swore I'd never buy one, then I bought one (Silverado) brand new in 2018...the thing has had a check engine light (cylinder 5 misfire), which went away and hasn't returned, and that's great, but the transmission shutters on the highway going up hills. At least I think it's the transmission...maybe it's a misfire? Feel more torque converter...and doing a search...well, it could be a number of things apparently because a number of things are known problems with these trucks...injectors, torque converters, drive shafts, Chevy shake, lifters.

So I'm at 52,000 very babied well maintained miles now and I'm starting to wonder if I should get rid of the thing. Bought it new, wasn't exactly a cheap purchase.
If you have the 8 speed auto trans and haven't had the TSB done to flush the ATF and replace it with the new Mobil 1 ATF, take it in to your dealer. GM determined that the factory fill attracts moisture causing torque converter shudder. The new ATF solved the problem in my 8 speed. However, if you have driven it with the shudder for the past two years you may have already damaged the torque converter. Hopefully you are still under warranty.

I'd certainly never buy a Ford product again and haven't since the 3 new ones I bought in the 80's. I'm convinced that they never improved and likely got even worse.

I've also owned a number of GM vehicles that had plenty of design problems but only one new GM. A 2008 Silverado , meticulously maintained, that ate it's 4.8 with oiling problems at 70k miles. So no more GM either.

I've owned 3 new Nissan's, '91, '93 and '01. All were nearly trouble free. After '01 they were fully flushed down the Renault/Ghosn toilet, so never again.

Honda for me. Granted, they don't make 2001 Civics anymore, but I thought it was substandard in reliability, and didn't have a good excuse for its price. Our new to us CRV has some quirks that have me thinking the same thing about it. Burned might be the wrong word for it, but I just feel like they are substandard--they will cost more than they should over the long run.

Don't know if I could go for a VW again. It was a decent car, with expected repairs--but getting a good shop was a problem. Only if I was willing to invest in tools and whatnot.

Won't buy another Toyota, not unless if it was well used. Their new products have too many complaints. New car buying is 90% emotional, and perception is can be emotional too.

00 Nissan Maxima was a great car from body panel, suspension etc etc.
The Renault-Nissan marriage riddled the car with ignition issues that resulted in a lot of problems from fouled cats, O2s, low MPG etc etc.
The engine and transmission were bullet proof but for the ignition coil screwup which they didn't recall whatsoever and left a bad taste in my mouth

Probably GM. Bought a 2018 Silverado...thing just never ran right. Shake, stutter, misfire. Starter went bad, check engine lights, frame rust, tranny seemed utterly confused at all times, oil consumption, ac condenser.

People that drove in the thing asked, what’s wrong with this thing?? Kind of embarrassing to buy a $40,000 dollar truck and have people comment...hey, this thing shouldn’t drive like this. Sold it. Never again. And you know what?? I knew better. I knew about GM, I used to work on them. Junk. And I still believed that the Silverado would be different because it’s a truck and their top of the line vehicle.

If you have the 8 speed auto trans and haven't had the TSB done to flush the ATF and replace it with the new Mobil 1 ATF, take it in to your dealer. GM determined that the factory fill attracts moisture causing torque converter shudder. The new ATF solved the problem in my 8 speed. However, if you have driven it with the shudder for the past two years you may have already damaged the torque converter. Hopefully you are still under warranty.
With me it was the 6 speed.

Talked to a GM tech, he said the 6 speed is actually worse than the 8 (in terms of needing rebuilds/repayments). The dealers are full of them. He showed me pictures of the pumps wearing metal away into the transmissions, ruining them.

I have driven many 2014-2018 6 speeds. They just shift back and forth, back and forth. Not knowing what to do because of the AFM turning on and off. But, I’ve driven the 6 cylinder engine models and they don’t seem to switch back and forth nearly as much. Much smoother, feels like its doing what it’s supposed to be doing.

But I have heard about the Mobil 1 with the 8 speeds...that seems to be GM’s “solution”. I have seen a lot GM’s solutions over the years...ranging from wax injections, to glue, washers, thread lock, tap and die, tape, foam, a metal plate, sand paper. The only thing I haven’t seen yet is bubble gum. Quite honestly.

I've had a 2010 chevy equinox, 2008? Saturn vue and currently a 2016 chevy trax. Chevies needed major engine work and Saturn trans needed to be replaced twice.. Never again. Every ford and dodge I've owned only needed minor work.

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
Hands down

GM

they killed people by saving 57 cents per ignition switch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_recalls

sick.gif

What they did was wrong, but did this brand burn you personally as the thread title indicates? I have a feeling this thread will lead to many "I know a guy who knows someone who was burned by X brand".

Personally, GM lack of quality is something that has steered me away from them, particularly their electrical systems. I had a 2000 Buick Century way back in the day that was my grandma's old car when she moved onto a smaller Toyota. It was garage stored, always taken to the dealership at the moment it made any kind of noise, serviced every single year, etc. When I acquired it, the vehicle had 36,000 miles on it, and it still was plagued by electrical issues, a hard shifting transmission that banged into gear, and other issues. This car was the definition of a well taken care of cream puff that was literally only driven to church on Sundays, and stored in a heated garage.

List of vehicles I've owned for reference:

1990 Jeep Cherokee Limited
2000 Buick Century
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2009 BMW 328i (current)
1998 Jeep Wrangler (current)

The Buick was the only one so far that gave me the most headaches, especially considering the short period of time I owned it.
as a contrast, i have a 2005 buick century, which i believe was made in canada, and i have few issues. POWER window switch and fuel pressure regulator only repair items.

I've owned Ford, Dodge, GM, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi over the years the worst had to be GM and there wasn't a close second. I've owned 4 GM vehicles over the years and I swear every one must have been built on a Friday afternoon, the guys must have been thinking about the weekend or something. The sad part is I liked the style of the GM products but the quality control was horrible. When my 2011 Silverado finally goes to the great beyond no more GM.

Back