car battery replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
My step daughter has a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country Limited with a 4L engine that is going to need a new battery. I have been looking online and some sites recommend an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery for this vehicle. While at a parts store today, they listed both AGM and non-AGM batteries for the application, and when I asked the counter person, they really didn't say, talking more about CCAs. Just wanted to get opinions on the matter since I have never dealt with this to my knowledge.

I have had good luck picking up a fresh Wal-Mart battery - right price and easy to find. Installed them on 3 cars the past 3 years - no issues.

I have experience with glass mat Odyssey, pricey and good for specific applications.
I wouldn't over think this one.

Get the right Group size, visit Wal-Mart and gtg imo.

Last edited:
I have the 2009 version of her car (same 4.0L engine) and just put a battery in it. The car calls for a Group 34 battery. I checked the retailers in my area (Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, Napa, Wal-Mart, and Sams) Interestingly, Wal-Mart is the ONLY retailer that sells a Group 34 battery with a three year free replacement warranty.

All the other retailers only sell a 2 year warranty dual-post battery in size 75/86 and 34/78. I didn't want a dual post battery. As far as AGM batteries go, my car didnt come with one from the factory and all the AGM batteries available locally only come with a 30 day warranty!! 30 days, that's it. After that, you are on your own. Since batteries only last 2.5-3 years here, I opted for the Group 34 Maxx battery from Wal-Mart, which has a 3 year warranty.

The Optima AGM was out of contention since it cost twice what the Wal-Mart MAXX battery cost.

AGM battery is usually cost about 50% more than conventional flood battery.

If you have time, order ACDelco 49AGM from Amazon for $133, they have 25% off coupon makes it $100 with free shipping. I think the warranty is 2 years.

AGM batteries are better for motorcycles and and places where you get a lot of vibration. I'm not sure its worth it for a car/minivan.
I would pick the largest (physically ) battery that will fit with the lowest CCA necessary to crank the car in cold weather. More CCA's come from more plates, more plates in the same size batter mean they are thinner and more prone to failure.

Last edited:
The AGM batteries are more expensive but same warranty. If they are better why not a longer warranty?

I would get a Walmart MAXX. Get the newest date code in the rack.

In a regular vehicle that doesn't see lots of shock/vibration an AGM is pointless. Save your money and just buy a good regular battery. The only advantage to an AGM is vibration and shock(impact) resistance; race cars, motorcycles, boats etc...

I was on Interstate's website which said that they recommend an AGM battery for this car due to a higher load, such as DVD players and power outlets, etc. That was my basis for asking for opinions. Plus as stated already by others, I wasn't thrilled with the higher price on these batteries.

Originally Posted By: TAvsGN
I was on Interstate's website which said that they recommend an AGM battery for this car due to a higher load, such as DVD players and power outlets, etc. That was my basis for asking for opinions. Plus as stated already by others, I wasn't thrilled with the higher price on these batteries.

Maybe if you are running those items when the engine is not running. But the battery as long as it meets the minimum specs , makes no difference in load when going down the road, the alternator is handling the load.

wow i changed the battery on my ford truck when it was almost 10 years old and had 90,000 miles on it and it still started the engine ok.
On my sisters cars i change them at the 4 year mark just to be safe

Just changed my battery 5 mins ago. Unsure of the old ones age but it was too small (was a 50 and car requires 57EF). It was slow to start since I got it over 2 years ago, and I charged it overnight a few weeks ago and that made no difference. This morning I went to start it and I got the dreaded *tick tick tick* so I jump started it and went to buy a new one.
I could buy a junk Philipino one for $75 but I ended up buying and Australian made one for $135. Expensive but it should last me a few years and it starts WAY faster now
smile.gif

Only problem is I've lost my radio code now so a can see a lot of quiet driving ahead!

i wouldn't believe the recommendation of AGM over regular flooded/wet battery. it's most likely recommended because they are more expensive and the seller gets a higher profit margin.

AGM has some benefits over traditional type car battery, but usually isn't worth it or those benefits are irrelevant when used in a normal car application. i would say their best benefit are they self discharge less, so for something like a boat battery or other application that might sit disconnected for a month without being used they tend to last longer and might be a better choice.
but for any battery the key is always keeping it at or near 100% state of charge. the cheapest flooded lead acid battery from walmart or wherever when used with a good battery charger/maintainer is better than the world's best most expensive AGM battery.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm

Get whatever battery you want from Advance if you have one around you. Use code TRT30 to get 30% off. The only way I've been buying batteries for a while now.

Walmart. Proven batteries at competitive prices. They will install it for free.

While you at it, ask them to perform the battery terminal service, this will add 3-4 dollars, but is well worth it. They will add those insulating terminal ring pads and spray them with the pink seal. Helps with the corrosive build-up. Also, play a nagging nerd and insist that they don't tighten them overly fiercely and bend the posts - causes micro-cracks.

Interstate is going down in quality and warranty service. They grew huge business in China and corporate is in disconnect. Not what it used to be at all.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Walmart. Proven batteries at competitive prices. They will install it for free.

While you at it, ask them to perform the battery terminal service, this will add 3-4 dollars, but is well worth it. They will add those insulating terminal ring pads and spray them with the pink seal. Helps with the corrosive build-up. Also, play a nagging nerd and insist that they don't tighten them overly fiercely and bend the posts - causes micro-cracks.

Interstate is going down in quality and warranty service. They grew huge business in China and corporate is in disconnect. Not what it used to be at all.

You do realize that Wal Mart's Everstart and Interstate are supplied from the same company- Johnson Controls Inc or JCI, right?

In my experience the AGM batteries are superior in an application that sits unused for long periods of time. For instance, I had a classic Deere garden tractor for many years and was lucky if the OEM battery would last two years. Then I switched to an Optima red top and it never needed replacement prior to selling it four years later.

Last year I bought a Duracell-branded battery for my Saab at Sam's Club. The Duracell has a three year, free replacement warranty which I made use of a few weeks ago after killing the battery due to a bad alternator.

I noticed this week that the batteries at our local Walmart for the most part had an October or November build date. This store seems to always have fresh batteries. The one I purchased five years ago was still on a pallet and the build date was the current month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back