car battery replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
You do realize that Wal Mart's Everstart and Interstate are supplied from the same company- Johnson Controls Inc or JCI, right?

Of course, but after a sizable number of acquisitions, it is not the same Co.
I am familiar with their Saft troubles, Varta, Raja and their Turkish project (building car seats for many OEMs). They are a diversified Co now and went through quite a few restructuring sprees.

Walmart: when you buy a battery there, make sure you check the charge when necessary. I bought a few MAXX units in the second weeek of October with October 2014 stickers, and both needed over 5 hours of top-off.

AGM batteries are quite good, if you use an inverter frequently.

Interstate: your local distributor may have blems for 1/2 or even 1/3 off the sticker price, but you may have to wait to get one. Ask for blems, but time is money for some of us. Blemishes are minor, and those are brand new batteries.

I was just [censored] a couple of times by the way they started to warranty them. Walmart still does it much better.

OP, you will get a lot out of any regular flooded battery, if you maintain it.

I got 4 plus years out of a flooded acdelco battery that only had an 18 month warranty. I got a great deal on it (wholesale, no tax through my mechanic friend), so I took the risk of a [censored] warranty.

I think a walmart battery is the best bet, Ive heard good things. We don't have them here in NYC (and believe it or not, I'm thankful for that as they do more damage than good, IMO), but my friend in western mass swears by his where he regularly sees single digit temps.

Originally Posted By: babyivan
I got 4 plus years out of a flooded acdelco battery that only had an 18 month warranty. I got a great deal on it (wholesale, no tax through my mechanic friend), so I took the risk of a [censored] warranty.

I think a walmart battery is the best bet, Ive heard good things. We don't have them here in NYC (and believe it or not, I'm thankful for that as they do more damage than good, IMO), but my friend in western mass swears by his where he regularly sees single digit temps.
I guess their great prices on brand name oil don't interest you either.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: babyivan

I guess their great prices on brand name oil don't interest you either.

I never said they dont interest me. They sell good stuff at unbelievable prices....
but at what cost:

-American industry being forced oversees to meet the price point
-"mom and pop" shops being forced out of business
-low wages and no benefits for their employees (in fact they encourage their employees to apply for govt healthcare and assistance)
-The name brands they do sell are often of lesser quality (think Levi's Signature Series)

It's all been said before, nothing new.

They have been trying for the longest time to open up one in Staten Island, but there's just too much opposition.

With that being said, whenever I go up to Mass I stop in and grab a few things... including cheap motor oil. So I guess I'm part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back