2015 Mini Copper Battery Replacement Coding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Originally Posted By: 2008wrx
Anyone folks here replaced one without coding? Also, can i put "non" (AGM (absorbed glass mat)) battery? Thanks

Good luck with that POS vehicle - smart charging what [censored] is that.
Overengineered BMW junk with no space to even stick a pencil into the engine bay!!!
These POS junk are rotting in dealerships because of the cost of ownership.
Says the guy with a new Mercedes.

Do you even think for a second your car doesn't have "smart charging"? Even my Hyundai has a form of it.

Benz needs to re-code after a new battery is installed too?

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Do the batteries have chips in them now? How do you even 'code' a battery, and more importantly WHY?

It's not the battery that gets coded, but the computer control of the charging system. It needs to know that a new battery is in place instead of a dying one.

Originally Posted By: pkunk
Do the batteries have chips in them now? How do you even 'code' a battery, and more importantly WHY?

It's not the battery that gets coded, but the computer control of the charging system. It needs to know that a new battery is in place instead of a dying one.

The system also needs to know the battery type as well as its amp hour(Ah) rating.

The problem isn't that you have to code for the new battery. The problem is you can't just tell the car with some entry from behind the wheel that a new battery has been installed. Or that new TPMS sensors are present, etc.

I don't mind new tech. What I mind is efforts to force me to use a manufacturers proprietary system to have work done.

Just as OBDII largely standardized codes and code-reading, I'd like to see the same with respect to these other technologies.

If it costs me as much as the price of the new battery to have my battery coded in, what am I saving if my new battery lasts a few months less?

The idea is elegant, have the charging system adapt to the state of the battery. The execution is clumsy, have the customer pay for an extra hour (or whatever quantum) of labor to tell the system a new battery has been installed.

What would be more elegant is for the system to recognize that the battery has been removed and replaced and for it to determine the best charging scheme.

I dunno, something like the PCM being powered on after the old battery was removed and a new one installed might just trigger such a probe or test.

Makes the system human proof....

i can understand some luxury brand vehicles with fancy features and they decided to do this process..... however, mini cooper is not a luxury brand, i think BMW ruined it, make it less affordable to the public, and sales will go down. At least, i research about Benz and they are smart enough not to do this dumb process to save may be 1 mpg or 2 mpg, so save a few bucks a month but end up spending a lot more to re-code whatever smart battery idea, good job BMW

i can understand some luxury brand vehicles with fancy features and they decided to do this process..... however, mini cooper is not a luxury brand, i think BMW ruined it, make it less affordable to the public, and sales will go down. At least, i research about Benz and they are smart enough not to do this dumb process to save may be 1 mpg or 2 mpg, so save a few bucks a month but end up spending a lot more to re-code whatever smart battery idea, good job BMW

Saving 1 or 2 mpg is HUGE for every auto manufacturer. And Mini is BMW, makes sense they use the same tech.

I don't understand why people have such a problem with this. Takes 5 seconds to do, and any competent shop can do it, or do it your self with a cheap scan tool.

I bet everyone who is complaining about this probably still has a flip phone.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Great then, car manufacturer keeps doing what they want to do, buyers buy what they want to buy, again just a little mini cooper,

The body control module or power distribution module needs to know the amp-hour rating of the battery and the type - conventional flooded or AGM. The BCM/PDM/PCM will adjust accordingly or select an algorithm that matches the profile needed.

Newer BMWs with EfficientDynamics have a micro-hybrid regenerative braking function - one reason why coding the battery into the car is important.

Originally Posted By: nthach

The body control module or power distribution module needs to know the amp-hour rating of the battery and the type - conventional flooded or AGM. The BCM/PDM/PCM will adjust accordingly or select an algorithm that matches the profile needed.

Newer BMWs with EfficientDynamics have a micro-hybrid regenerative braking function - one reason why coding the battery into the car is important.

Oh i see, there is a need for it due to the design...

Thanks pkunk, MC, Trav, nthatch. It suggests that replacement batteries can be of varying capacities, which is odd since the battery form factor is pretty much non-negotiable, and a variance of a handful of Ah requires the user to pay hundreds more for programming beyond the purchase of an already costly battery just to let the stupid vehicle know what capacity it is?
Might be more palatable to the user if there should be a standard capacity replacement battery and a passive or simple way to let the control unit know that a new battery has been installed- perhaps logic showing a failed or failing battery in a history log and allowing a time window to expect to see a brand new battery in place of it, and maybe it could confirm or estimate the battery condition based on resistance readings and prevent possible overcharging with a temp sensor. I don't see why we need to pull out the big time proprietary programmers just to 'un-strand' yourself. The idle stop start etc is neat and stuff (not really it's a bad, short term solution) where the car needs to retart the engine every seconds for a half-hour in traffic, but stop punishing the user for these ideas. /rant

I'm going to miss cheap 'dumb' VR'ed charging systems that use cheap flooded batteries or AGM if you wanted, where one could replace the battery quickly and get on their way without computers complaining and threatening to fry your new $800 DIN AGM :rolleyes:

I'm going to miss cheap 'dumb' VR'ed charging systems that use cheap flooded batteries or AGM if you wanted, where one could replace the battery quickly and get on their way without computers complaining and threatening to fry your new $800 DIN AGM :rolleyes:

AGM batteries aren't that expensive, I've seen them at AutoZone and Advance for $140-200 depending on application. AAA had to switch battery suppliers from Exide to Deka since their AGM lineup for European cars is probably the best in the aftermarket(not to mention East Penn supplies Mercedes in Alabama). A AGM auxillary battery for a Prius is $200-250 - while the battery is in the cargo bay of a Prius no Toyota Techstream kung fu is needed.

While it's not a good idea to jump-start a newer BMW/Mercedes/VW product(including Audi and Porsche) it can be done very carefully via the provided jump-start terminals under the hood and not directly to the battery.

Originally Posted By: nthach

Oh i see, there is a need for it due to the design...

Yes, it is a fairly sophisticated system. Basically, the vehicle only charges the battery while decelerating. It will charge the battery during cruise if the capacity of the battery gets below 60%. This saves quite a bit of fuel. It does mean the vehicle must know exactly how much storage capacity the battery currently has available. That 60% will be different with different sized batteries, and different between a new battery, and one that is 10 years old. My old 2006 330 still had the original battery in it when I sold it last year.

BMW has had this system for quite a while now. Started with the E90 chassis in 2006 I believe.

Last edited:
i think i read a post here from one of the members that his Sonata's battery died prematurely cause Hyundai also charges the battery during deceleration.... However, may be Hyundai does not use the micro chip to monitor the battery conditions...

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

I don't understand why people have such a problem with this. Takes 5 seconds to do, and any competent shop can do it, or do it your self with a cheap scan tool.

Its good technology and easy to work with, battery life in the long run will be extended. The one thing in common on cars I have had and have seen with with 10+ year old batteries and longest lived bulbs is when the charging voltage is about 13.6v give or take a hair and very stable.
This system insures optimum charging voltages and tighter controlled voltage to lights and other components, light bulb life should be also increased.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Yes, it is a fairly sophisticated system. Basically, the vehicle only charges the battery while decelerating. It will charge the battery during cruise if the capacity of the battery gets below 60%. This saves quite a bit of fuel.

Exactly like how 0w16 saves more fuel than 0w20. You think it's for your sake, when it's mostly to squeeze out FE during certification.
"smart" charging systems aren't new to me but this coding/programming BCMs just to change batteries is- adding essentially a charge controller in series to the lead-acid battery like it was a Li-Ion. Now you can feel the frustration of a locked out factory stereo before you even get the car restarted!! Woohoo

The last firmware update on the 06 Pontiac disabled all the 'smart' charging modes, because it turns out the excess of 'modes' (there were like 5 or so 'intelligent' modes) were causing premature battery failure by allowing battery too much time @ low SoC. It's now just an emulated temp compensated VR via BCM. I've got a 2012 Odyssey 1500DT 34/78 on another car's dumb (or unintelligent if you will) charging system and it performs flawlessly and expect at least 4 more years yet outta that battery. GREAT batteries btw. But of course those older vehicles weren't subject to cut-throat EPA certification standards where "smart" charging systems and other crutches like start-stop necessitate needing BCM handheld programmers and unexpected shop trips for a simple battery replacement.

Engineers want the results for their own sake and download the costs and troubles directly to the user- one of my triggers
mad.gif
. But of course it's about 'battery life' and the greater good, it'll pay off eventually right

Last edited:
i think mini's are neat little cars, but just a bit of reading on various forums tell you of poor reliability + costlier than most others for parts + labor !$!$!$

Originally Posted By: benjy
i think mini's are neat little cars, but just a bit of reading on various forums tell you of poor reliability + costlier than most others for parts + labor !$!$!$

No different than any other new car if you take it to the stealership for every little thing. Then It is a BMW product and you WILL get socked. Mine has 135k on it and hasn't needed anything except a pair of new struts in 25k mi. Before that I put in a new thermostat-parts about $50

Originally Posted By: pkunk

No different than any other new car if you take it to the stealership for every little thing. Then It is a BMW product and you WILL get socked. Mine has 135k on it and hasn't needed anything except a pair of new struts in 25k mi. Before that I put in a new thermostat-parts about $50

All our Clubman has needed is a VANOS solenoid. With the Carly app you can deal with most any service or repair issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back