Caprese Salad theory- the salad will predict how your meal will be

GON, Thanks for sharing. This reminds me of a recent conversation that I just had with a colleague of mine regarding American Pizza. Most of the franchised and organized pizza chain restaurants all seem to use the "conveyor style" pizza ovens....you know in one side, out the other. Pizzas made this way have crust that has a distinct texture and taste. There is bar near by, that has a real commercial pizza oven, wide but not tall with a door. Pizza's cooked in that kind of oven have a completely different taste and texture and IMHO taste so much better.
We had an electric conveyor oven when I worked at Dominos ca 1985. They removed the oven and installed a proper gas fired pizza oven thinking that the oven was the critical process parameter.

Some fine young conscript Soldiers having their first ever caprese salad. These Soldiers were also introduced to dipping their bread into olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

PXL_20230304_121917614.jpg

Some fine young conscript Soldiers having their first ever caprese salad. These Soldiers were also introduced to dipping their bread into olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

View attachment 143240
Would probably like the salad, have never tried that. But I'm a simple old country man. Never tried olive oil and balsamic vinegar for bread dipping either.

I normally just eat garden fresh tomatoes with salt and pepper, or in a BLT. Hope I can convince the Daughter to plant some this year. They are getting pricy at Farmer's Market. (or just pay the Granddaughter to raise a few plants) LOL

I used to plant about a dozen tomato plants every year. Take them to work, give to neighbors, etc. Can enough to last all year and make salsa. Those days are over!

Would probably like the salad, have never tried that. But I'm a simple old country man. Never tried olive oil and balsamic vinegar for bread dipping either.

I normally just eat garden fresh tomatoes with salt and pepper, or in a BLT. Hope I can convince the Daughter to plant some this year. They are getting pricy at Farmer's Market. (or just pay the Granddaughter to raise a few plants) LOL

I used to plant about a dozen tomato plants every year. Take them to work, give to neighbors, etc. Can enough to last all year and make salsa. Those days are over!
JD,

Consider just one tomato plant (okay maybe two of different varieties if one does). Do a container planting. I bet you will enjoy watching those tomatoes grow.

Caprese salad is super simple. I bet your store has a sliced mozzarella roll, and basil. Making a caprese salad is about as easy as eating a pancake. Hardest part of making a caprese salad is picking out the tomatoes from the store.

Olive oil and balsamic vinegar are basic/simple ingredients. Olive oil has been used for over 1,000 years. The oil not vinegar gets old, long shelf life.

I wish you lived next door to me. You would be getting a plated dinner of different varieties on a regular basis.

JD,

Consider just one tomato plant (okay maybe two of different varieties if one does). Do a container planting. I bet you will enjoy watching those tomatoes grow.

Caprese salad is super simple. I bet your store has a sliced mozzarella roll, and basil. Making a caprese salad is about as easy as eating a pancake. Hardest part of making a caprese salad is picking out the tomatoes from the store.

Olive oil and balsamic vinegar are basic/simple ingredients. Olive oil has been used for over 1,000 years. The oil not vinegar gets old, long shelf life.

I wish you lived next door to me. You would be getting a plated dinner of different varieties on a regular basis.
GON- I used to do container plants. Now 2 large walnut trees in my back yard and they get killed off.

I need to get the trees cut down.

Wish I was your neighbor as well!:)

JD,

Alot of balsamic vinegar in the usa is cut with red wine vinegar. Look for the really thick aged stuff. My local Safeway only has two or three bottles of the real stuff. Most of it labeled as balsamic isn't 100% authentic.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I do like a good simple salad (despite my appearances) 👀
But in the immoral words of the late John Pinette
"Salad is a promissory note that food will soon arrive" :love:
If it's bad, IMO that's just setting the stage for further disappointment 😔

Reactions: GON
Look for the really thick aged stuff.
+1. Minimum of 5 years, otherwise it's just commercial grade junk. Buying the good stuff also means you don't need a lot, a little goes along way because it's not cut with anything else; but it's not cheap.

Back