Can't see oil level on dip stick - Snow Blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil on my Ariens Snow Blower. It has the 254cc LCT engine. The oil that came out from factory still looked new and was thick like honey. I changed it cold as I have not started it yet this year but wanted new oil in it. I put 5w30 Castrol gtx that was bought for $1 per quart.

Any secrets to seeing the oil level on the dipstick? Oil is to clear and just cannot tell where it is at.

Lay the dipstick on a Blue shop towel and roll it away exposing the wet spot. Line up the wet spot with the markings on the dipstick.

Hold it up to a light and look across the width of the dipstick. You'll see a thicker area where the oil is.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Hold it up to a light and look across the width of the dipstick. You'll see a thicker area where the oil is.

Yup. You want to keep the stick horizontal anyways to keep it from draining to the end of the stick.

My son just bought an Ariens 28 inch with the same engine. Doesn't Ariens call for a full synthetic oil in that motor? Maybe some of that $2 Magnatec at Autozone instead of the GTX white bottle.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Lay the dipstick on a Blue shop towel and roll it away exposing the wet spot. Line up the wet spot with the markings on the dipstick.
+1

The dipstick on the LCT engine on my Ariens doesn't have any markings whatsoever on it. No lines, holes, marks, just a plain metal. I call it the guess-a-level system.

I have heard of people taking a torch to the end of the dip stick to give it some color so the oil shows up better.

My LCT powered blower has the over flow ports on the base of the engine. Pull the cap and pour oil through the filler tube until it hits the over flow.

Originally Posted By: JTK
The dipstick on the LCT engine on my Ariens doesn't have any markings whatsoever on it. No lines, holes, marks, just a plain metal.

The 254cc engine takes 20 oz. So put in 20 oz and take a measurement then make your own marks, holes.

If the dip stick is metal, I've seen some people say to use some steel wool to dull the metal on the stick. That way the glossyness of the oil stands out.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
The 254cc engine takes 20 oz. So put in 20 oz and take a measurement then make your own marks, holes.

No. 20 ounces is a guideline, when new. When NEW you might need to put 20 ounces in, but when changing, it might only drain 16 ounces. So it COULD be over filled several ounces if you dumped 20 ounces in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back