craftsman snow blower

how do I read a craftsman snow blower serial number...I'm trying to find the year manufactured. the snowblower is like new, I don't think it was ever used...I guess you could say it was a barn find, some info I'm finding on the internet is kind of vague to me ,thanks for any help

Last edited:
Pictures or specs?

I'd look for a sticker or plaque on the side of the base of the engine, though that might only tell you about the engine instead of the whole blower #'s. Next I'd look for a decal behind the thrower housing.

Just look it over top to bottom, with a strong flashlight, then take panels off the engine if necessary though that might be a jigsaw puzzle to do if there are various primer/throttle/gas lines/etc mounted on them.

What does the year of manufacture matter? I'd think you would only need the model # for parts, or possibly better still is find out which MTD blower model it corresponds to as there is a high probability it is easier to find the MTD branded parts for it, unless the owner's manual (online PDF if you can find it) lists the parts as MTD part #'s too.

Probably MTD, look on the back down on the gear housing.

Two-Stage_ModelPlate.jpg

I'm just curious about the year of manufacture is all. I do have the model and serial numbers but there isn't any year of manufacture...i would think it is an MTD made machine

I'm just curious about the year of manufacture is all. I do have the model and serial numbers but there isn't any year of manufacture...i would think it is an MTD made machine
Does it have a Tecumseh engine, if not what does it have.

See if this works using your serial number.

The first two numbers are the mower’s month of manufacture. The second two numbers indicate the day of manufacture and the third two will signify the year of manufacture.

got murry belts at half the cost for my older still good craftsman sno blo. as noted look for a sticker on the machine.

Tecumseh stopped building flathead snow engines in 2006.....the engine tag usually had the DOM on it. Post some good pics of the unit, including any tags on the engine or frame.

I wish I could post pics, but I just don't have the means to do so... I did check out Ebay, looking to see if any were for sale there and yeah there are 3 that look identical. And possibly this machine is 8-10years old I would think this is a Chinese made machine, Briggs engine for sure like I said I'm just curious as to the year

My 2011 MTD made 24" Cub Cadet has a Zongshen SN210 engine. You sure it has a Briggs? Maybe more info like size and stages?

Post links to the ebay listings.

IIRC the cover, top heat shield on mine looks a little different (and it doesn't have the SN210 sticker) but the general setup is the same.

370-SUB1105052A0888

50d021807ef01cfd759778c8bf14df2c.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I could post pics, but I just don't have the means to do so... I did check out Ebay, looking to see if any were for sale there and yeah there are 3 that look identical. And possibly this machine is 8-10years old I would think this is a Chinese made machine, like I said I'm just curious as to the year
If you can post the numbers here, that might help. Not sure on Craftsman, but Toro information on small engine parts websites usually gives a year range. Like a Toro 524, for example....internet search for parts will show the date that series began (I.E. 1980-XXXX.) Might get lucky with yours if you can post the numbers :D

this is what i have ......Craftsman model 247.887791 and serial 1K050B40444. I'll try and get more info from the machine tomorrow off to work in a few thanks guys

I managed to get 18 years out of my Yardman (MTD). It was a very good machine with the Tecumseh motor. Probably better than most new snow blowers made today that I've seen anyway. Simple to work on and started up regardless of temperature.

Just my $0.02
I had a craftsman that I sold last year. Had it for a number of years and changed the belts once. Biggest thing with snowblowers is maintainance and removing the wheels and coating the axles with anti size so they can easily be removed later on. Most of those MTDs and the other brands they made have a ton of parts available.

There are also a ton of YouTube videos showing you how to make most repairs. I went with a Toro 826 repowered with a 10.5 Tecumseh engine. That thing can move the end of driveway piles.

I managed to get 18 years out of my Yardman (MTD). It was a very good machine with the Tecumseh motor. Probably better than most new snow blowers made today that I've seen anyway. Simple to work on and started up regardless of temperature.

Just my $0.02
Back when MTD was a better machine. The old Snow King engines were great, too! I have one I'm rebuilding for a mini bike.

Back when MTD was a better machine. The old Snow King engines were great, too! I have one I'm rebuilding for a mini bike.
Is yours a single or dual shaft?

I always figured when my engine died I'd swap it out with a HF until I found out mine is a dual shaft and would have jump thru way to many hoops to get it to work.

My 1995 MTD with 5hp Tecumseh just won't die, "the little engine that could".

Is yours a single or dual shaft?

I always figured when my engine died I'd swap it out with a HF until I found out mine is a dual shaft and would have jump thru way to many hoops to get it to work.

My 1995 MTD with 5hp Tecumseh just won't die, "the little engine that could".
Mine's a single, already off of the machine at my local small engine shop. I'm thinking it was on a simple snow thrower with forward only....usually the reverse models have the dual shaft.

Back