Can't get rear rotor off!!!

Hi All, Decieded to renew the rear rotors and pads on my 2014 Silverado 1500 4x4.
Caliper and rotor bracket came off nice. I can;t seem to get the dam rotor off.
Any suggestions? I don't see any screws on the rotor like the front had. Im stumped

I went through two particularly rusty rotors on my wife's Equinox. I had to resort to using a couple of bolts through the caliper bracket and some nuts to pop the rotor off, even after trying to get PB Blaster in around the lugs.

My oem ford rotors had a retainer washer around a lug. Little saw blade looking thing. Pried off easy with a flat head.

I hope your new rotors are coated :)

Either way, a hammer should do the trick, but you might have to bang on it a few times.

You're in NY state = salt, rust, etc. Use a hammer.

Just watched an SMA video over the weekend and he slathered the hub face and bores with anti-seize (he was out of Fluid Film) to avoid this in the future.

I have had to take a sawzall to the rotor and cut down as far as possible without hitting the hub then put a chesel into the cut and banged on it that did it.

Sounds horrible, but you can drive around with the P-brake on to help heat up, break rust free and wear enough clearance to get the rotors off of the P-brake shoes.

first, make sure there are no locking devices holding the rotor on. My 2005 Jeep uses an O-ring around the center portion of the hub, I've done breaks with the metal "lock" washes on the wheel studs etc... I usually spray PB Blaster around each wheel stud and the center portion of the hub, then get my BFH if the rotor is not going back on. A few swift blows it usually comes off.

Just my $0.02

Just watched an SMA video over the weekend and he slathered the hub face and bores with anti-seize (he was out of Fluid Film) to avoid this in the future.
I always use Permatex when I take rotors off, but my mechanic friend cautions me not to use so much that it will fling off and get on the pads or rotors. The Permatex makes the rotors fall off the next time you have to remove them.

I always use Permatex when I take rotors off, but my mechanic friend cautions me not to use so much that it will fling off and get on the pads or rotors.
Wondering about that.... It should be captured quite well inside the rotor "hat" and not able to fling out too much, shouldn't it ?

My son sprayed Fluid Film when we did the brakes on my daughter's car and he got some on the top half of the caliper, right near the banjo bolt. When I did a tire rotation recently, I saw dampness on the caliper and thought I had a leaking brake line ! I'm out of brake/parts cleaner too so I couldn't clean it off very well....

Back