Can't find anyone willing to install upgraded shocks

I have a 2020 Toyota Tundra and purchased Bilstein 6112 @ +1.9" preassembled and Bilstein 5160's @ stock height from Boss OffRoad - they had a great sale. I'm simply looking for someone to take out the OEM, install the Bilsteins (which are still in their boxes) and perform an alignment. This doesn't require any lift kit or shackles and they simply bolt right into place.

Shop 1 is a busy shop with a great reputation - they've done work for me before. "Sorry, we don't do upgrades". Ok...

Shop 2 was recommended by a friend and it has 8 bays without a single vehicle in any one of them at 10am on a Tuedsay. "Sorry, we don't install customer provided parts. It's just not worth it for me". I explained they are brand new, still in boxes and that I'm not asking for him to guarantee the shocks beyond it being installed correctly and if I have a problem with the shocks I'll call Boss Offroad. "Sorry".

Shop 3 I was just passing on the way home. It has 6 work bays with one car in it. "Sorry, I'm going to pass".

I get there is some liability in installing customer provided parts but these are still in the box and purchased from a reputable online company. It just seems to me for places that don't seem all that busy it would be an easy couple hours and an alignment - hell overcharge me what you were missing out on the sale of the parts. Just sort of ranting...I didn't think this would be such a big deal.

Last edited:
Depends on the shop... my local mom and pop shop won’t do it, but the custom shop a half hour away has no problems doing a simple swap like that or a full lift kit requiring welding and such.

Also see if there is a local group, if you use FB, in your area, there is almost always at least one tech who will do work on the side like this.

Are they the same fit as OEM? If so, what's up with the alignment request?

I could see them refusing if they are different from factory specs/fitment. Otherwise, that's nuts. They could atleast throw you an I don't want the job price.

Keep looking and calling, you will find someone that is happy to do it. I would not limit your search to shops that can do alignments - you can have that done by someone else if needed once the shocks are installed.

Where are you in Massachusetts?

I would PM Trav. Outstanding mechanic. See if he can hook you up.

Seriously

I have a 2020 Toyota Tundra and purchased Bilstein 6112 @ +1.9" preassembled and Bilstein 5160's @ stock height from Boss OffRoad - they had a great sale. I'm simply looking for someone to take out the OEM, install the Bilsteins (which are still in their boxes) and perform an alignment. This doesn't require any lift kit or shackles and they simply bolt right into place.

Shop 1 is a busy shop with a great reputation - they've done work for me before. "Sorry, we don't do upgrades". Ok...

Shop 2 was recommended by a friend and it has 8 bays without a single vehicle in any one of them at 10am on a Tuedsay. "Sorry, we don't install customer provided parts. It's just not worth it for me". I explained they are brand new, still in boxes and that I'm not asking for him to guarantee the shocks beyond it being installed correctly and if I have a problem with the shocks I'll call Boss Offroad. "Sorry".

Shop 3 I was just passing on the way home. It has 6 work bays with one car in it. "Sorry, I'm going to pass".

I get there is some liability in installing customer provided parts but these are still in the box and purchased from a reputable online company. It just seems to me for places that don't seem all that busy it would be an easy couple hours and an alignment - hell overcharge me what you were missing out on the sale of the parts. Just sort of ranting...I didn't think this would be such a big deal.

If you are in N Central MA pm me.

Edit: Worcester, sent me the PM I can hook you up. I have a friend with one of the newest and best alignment machines in the business and he knows how to use it.

Sounds like your problem is solved, but for what it’s worth, our local Speedy shop will not install customer provided parts. He knows that customers can get parts way cheaper than the brick and mortar suppliers where he gets his parts from. Additionally he marks up the parts by 30%. It’s not worth his while and he doesn’t want to set a precedence. It all just points to lower profits for him.

Last edited:
If you are in N Central MA pm me.

Edit: Worcester, sent me the PM I can hook you up. I have a friend with one of the newest and best alignment machines in the business and he knows how to use it.

Sent you a PM...thank you!

Too many times I've seen techs find too late that one of the 50 parts brought in by a customer for a big job is wrong. Then you gotta push it outside or tie up a rack while the customer spends a week shopping around to find the cheapest part online again. Last two places I've worked customer supplied parts have been a no go. One was due to being in court over a failed alternator that a customer brought in. They wanted the labor to install a new one for free since they had paid once and were willing to go to court over it.

I don't have issues at shops with bringing in my own parts but I typically bring in higher quality than what they can get at NAPA.

These are $800 Bilstein 6112s and $400 Bilstein 5160s - easily higher quality than OEM. No one cared...Trav kindly got me sorted out this morning.

Too many times I've seen techs find too late that one of the 50 parts brought in by a customer for a big job is wrong. Then you gotta push it outside or tie up a rack while the customer spends a week shopping around to find the cheapest part online again. Last two places I've worked customer supplied parts have been a no go. One was due to being in court over a failed alternator that a customer brought in. They wanted the labor to install a new one for free since they had paid once and were willing to go to court over it.

This should be easy - 4 shocks and reuse all the same hardware that came with OEM shocks.

Back