Can't find anyone willing to install upgraded shocks

There was a speed shop near me specializing in tires, lifts, etc. They would do it with you specifying what parts you wanted them to order, I've seen many almost new trucks in their bay getting all kinds of expensive upgrades. I doubt if they would install your parts though.

You overestimate me!
Give yourself some credit. Watch a couple youtube videos and get the proper tools and it is just a matter of attitude after that. I have faith that if you can do an oil change you can also do this.

I actually had my Toyota dealer install aftermarket springs for me many years ago on my xB. Had them in the front seat and the price was really reasonable, I thought.

You wouldn't think a dealer would over independent, mom and pop shops, but never know!

Brand new truck I would say change it yourself. Get all the tools you need and now you will have them. You will need an alignment afterwards. Give yourself time to do it. Follow the factory torque specs. Make sure all parts that are ordered are correct and no mistakes.

Most reputable shops will not install customer supplied parts. Its not worth it. There are too many "karens and kens" out there.

I see both sides of the issue at my shop. If its a typical lowering/coilover kit, charge pipe install, bolt on exhaust, i dont really have an issue installing as we long as theyre OK with the price and sign off on any liability or warranty from supplying their own junk. Usually theyre pretty generous with the times and if youre efficient and know whats going on, you can bang them out pretty quick. Your eBay brakes are squealing that we just put in a few weeks ago? 1.5 hours to clean and lubricate the pads, sorry no warranty. We are actually in the process of installing a Brembo brake kit on an 08 M3 right now. Guy calls for a quote, I have everything whats the price with a flush? He agrees and comes in. He failed to mention that its a used Brembo kit, and of course its the biggest option, so we need to cut the backing plates on the rear and remove them on the front to make work. We call back for more time and to let him know these are permanent changes and he starts complaining. Theres 6 different options for this brake setup, and his is the most involved. I told him he needs to be more clear with what he has and do his homework as well so he knows whats going on. If he had said I have the XXX mm setup, I would have quoted him the extra time right off the bat, as the smaller setups can be plug and play, pretty much a standard remove the caliper brake job. Its funny to me as a shop owner when people will spend 1500-2500 on a USED brake setup but then complain when its 100$ more for our time to install. Oh, and the pads were below 40% and the rotors had a lip already, so were going to see him again soon for a pad and rotor change. Makes no sense.

Give yourself some credit. Watch a couple youtube videos and get the proper tools and it is just a matter of attitude after that. I have faith that if you can do an oil change you can also do this.
Ok...it's not ability...simply desire.

I see both sides of the issue at my shop. If its a typical lowering/coilover kit, charge pipe install, bolt on exhaust, i dont really have an issue installing as we long as theyre OK with the price and sign off on any liability or warranty from supplying their own junk. Usually theyre pretty generous with the times and if youre efficient and know whats going on, you can bang them out pretty quick. Your eBay brakes are squealing that we just put in a few weeks ago? 1.5 hours to clean and lubricate the pads, sorry no warranty. We are actually in the process of installing a Brembo brake kit on an 08 M3 right now. Guy calls for a quote, I have everything whats the price with a flush? He agrees and comes in. He failed to mention that its a used Brembo kit, and of course its the biggest option, so we need to cut the backing plates on the rear and remove them on the front to make work. We call back for more time and to let him know these are permanent changes and he starts complaining. Theres 6 different options for this brake setup, and his is the most involved. I told him he needs to be more clear with what he has and do his homework as well so he knows whats going on. If he had said I have the XXX mm setup, I would have quoted him the extra time right off the bat, as the smaller setups can be plug and play, pretty much a standard remove the caliper brake job. Its funny to me as a shop owner when people will spend 1500-2500 on a USED brake setup but then complain when its 100$ more for our time to install. Oh, and the pads were below 40% and the rotors had a lip already, so were going to see him again soon for a pad and rotor change. Makes no sense.

Trust me...I get it but the truck is a 2020 with 6K miles. I had all the parts still in the original boxes which were in the back seat. I expected at least they'd come out and take a look - see some brand they've never heard of or clearly they were used and ok sorry I'll pass. If they were unfamiliar with these Bilsteins (both the 6112 and 5160 are super popular) then 2 mins on the internet and they'd find out they are simple bolt-on replacements. Anyway, found a guy so I'm happy.

Trust me...I get it but the truck is a 2020 with 6K miles. I had all the parts still in the original boxes which were in the back seat. I expected at least they'd come out and take a look - see some brand they've never heard of or clearly they were used and ok sorry I'll pass. If they were unfamiliar with these Bilsteins (both the 6112 and 5160 are super popular) then 2 mins on the internet and they'd find out they are simple bolt-on replacements. Anyway, found a guy so I'm happy.

I just attempted to confirm the referenced shocks would fit the truck listed, and while it only took me 3:30 seconds to find an answer, it wasn’t the answer I’d hoped for.
- one of the referenced shocks couldn’t be found as a suitable replacement.
- the other did show to be a suitable replacement but in suspensions raised higher than stock ride height.

If I were a shop owner, I would likely turn down the job as well. Too many unknowns that would require time to figure out; time I couldn’t bill for either.

It wouldn’t be anything personal, it’s just not an economically attractive job I would want to take on, that’s all.

I have a 2020 Toyota Tundra and purchased Bilstein 6112 @ +1.9" preassembled and Bilstein 5160's @ stock height from Boss OffRoad - they had a great sale. I'm simply looking for someone to take out the OEM, install the Bilsteins (which are still in their boxes) and perform an alignment. This doesn't require any lift kit or shackles and they simply bolt right into place.

Shop 1 is a busy shop with a great reputation - they've done work for me before. "Sorry, we don't do upgrades". Ok...

Shop 2 was recommended by a friend and it has 8 bays without a single vehicle in any one of them at 10am on a Tuedsay. "Sorry, we don't install customer provided parts. It's just not worth it for me". I explained they are brand new, still in boxes and that I'm not asking for him to guarantee the shocks beyond it being installed correctly and if I have a problem with the shocks I'll call Boss Offroad. "Sorry".

Shop 3 I was just passing on the way home. It has 6 work bays with one car in it. "Sorry, I'm going to pass".

I get there is some liability in installing customer provided parts but these are still in the box and purchased from a reputable online company. It just seems to me for places that don't seem all that busy it would be an easy couple hours and an alignment - hell overcharge me what you were missing out on the sale of the parts. Just sort of ranting...I didn't think this would be such a big deal.
Roll up your sleeves and get to work.

I just attempted to confirm the referenced shocks would fit the truck listed, and while it only took me 3:30 seconds to find an answer, it wasn’t the answer I’d hoped for.
- one of the referenced shocks couldn’t be found as a suitable replacement.
- the other did show to be a suitable replacement but in suspensions raised higher than stock ride height.

If I were a shop owner, I would likely turn down the job as well. Too many unknowns that would require time to figure out; time I couldn’t bill for either.

It wouldn’t be anything personal, it’s just not an economically attractive job I would want to take on, that’s all.

This is America, you can charge whatever you want! I too come across situations like this in my work life...going to be PITA and I charge a butt load...if they accept I'm well-compensated and it they don't I move on. 6112 Coil-overs are already preassembled at +1.9" - has no effect on installation and 5160s at stock height - right there in their descriptions. What can I say, some of us use the Google machine better.

BTW....literally 30 seconds....and prior to this exercise I never looked them up on Bilstein's site.

Last edited:
I can understand shop reluctance to do this job. Those shocks take parts from original to complete the set. I understand you have 6k but none the less they have to take your original struts apart and swap out factory with aftermarket. Then they have to set ride height, spring load as well as an alignment. After they do all the work then will possibly deal with an unhappy customer cause it doesn't ride like it use to. Now if you pull a trailer and truck sways to much then another complaint. I have done customer parts several times without complaints but one that stands out was an older Camry that came in with a no start from another shop. I noticed someone replaced engine so I questioned customer and was told 3 bad distributors were installed as all of them lasted only weeks. When I checked it out sure enough another distributor but I went further knowing this and after all I was doing it on a 2 hour approval. Mechanic replaced engine with a different year and used injectors which were incorrect for this year cutting all the injector wires shorting out distributor as that was firing injectors. I explained he needed injectors, harness and distributor which my boss let him go get distributor warrantied then he went back to mechanic to retrieve original injectors with original harness connectors. He threaten to sue us cause we didn't know what we were doing then took 2 months to bring me everything in box. I almost quit over this one as all the wiring to injectors needed repairing, new distributor and injectors. 8 hours labor wasn't enough. Customer never did apologize but enjoyed a fixed car and we got just labor and headaches. I refuse any job parts are supplied anymore unless it is an oil change.

I feel where you're coming from. People like that ruin it for the rest of us. I'd love to do business with your shop. For me it's very simple, I only buy new; the best quality parts I can find, and only from reputable sources. I understand what I want and express it accordingly, upfront.

The customer isn't always right.

I can understand shop reluctance to do this job. Those shocks take parts from original to complete the set. I understand you have 6k but none the less they have to take your original struts apart and swap out factory with aftermarket. Then they have to set ride height, spring load as well as an alignment.

That's the thing...front coil-overs are preassembled at desired ride height. No setting ride height, no setting spring load. Literally, it's like 7 bolts per wheel and an alignment.

I was told years ago missing parts are potential issue. I could do it but pay for labor even if not installed.

Install reuses all the OEM bolts and nuts.

I could see how this gets tricky depending on the parts being swapped and people bringing crap parts or incomplete kits etc and so I can see why many shops just say no. But, I can also see how in this case it's a pretty straightforward swap. I'm glad I found someone who will help.

I have three indie shops that I use that don't hesitate to install aftermarket parts, but they all know me and know that if I bring something in it's a quality part that fits the vehicle. If it's regular maintenance/repair work they supply the parts, what I bring in are upgrades if I lack the time or equipment to DIY.

That's the thing...front coil-overs are preassembled at desired ride height. No setting ride height, no setting spring load. Literally, it's like 7 bolts per wheel and an alignment.
Not according to their site. They claimed direct bolt on but you have to use bumper and shock mount

Try an offroad shop. Or just some independent shop. It's not hard. It ain't fun either, though.

Back