cant find a subaru!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Chris, do you get snow in your area? Just curious, because I never got why anyone would want a Subaru in a climate that doesn't get snow.

Just because you don't need AWD doesn't mean you don't want it.

Chris, do you get snow in your area? Just curious, because I never got why anyone would want a Subaru in a climate that doesn't get snow.

AWD is useful not only in snow. It also helps greatly in the wet, or even in the dry when it's time to transfer significant amount of power to the ground without engaging traction control.

I guess everyone has their opinion on AWD.

I just don't see how Subaru's AWD system is going to help you on dry pavement, other than maybe false peace of mind. The majority of their product line is economical, safe, daily-drivers. Not muscle cars you'll want to throw around curves, etc.

Like I say, there's a reason they're so popular in the snowbelt. They're designed for it.

The majority of their product line is economical, safe, daily-drivers.

Isn't that reason enough to drive one?

Glock, that's why I drive one and we've got many in the family.

Other reason is 6mo out of the year we can have snow. Take snow out of the picture and I have something FWD/RWD only.

Last edited:
Chris drives off road alot too, so he might use it for the odd trail instead of the jeep.
Personally, I don't see the need for AWD in a sub 200hp vehicle that isn't going off road, or in snow, or doing something like launching boats.
The odd subaru I've driven hard on the street or at autocross, understeered under full power nearly as much as a fwd car anyways, so I don't see the benefit on high traction surfaces, but they are a good car just to drive around too.

I just don't see how Subaru's AWD system is going to help you on dry pavement, other than maybe false peace of mind. The majority of their product line is economical, safe, daily-drivers. Not muscle cars you'll want to throw around curves, etc.

Like I say, there's a reason they're so popular in the snowbelt. They're designed for it.

Cause most people are idiots and AWD helps them in sunny states when they floor it with bald tires in the rain.

Unless their is snow on the ground if you are driving normally AWD is pointless.

OTOH Subaru is the car of VT for good reason! With snow tires they are better than a truck until it gets to deep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Cause most people are idiots and AWD helps them in sunny states when they floor it with bald tires in the rain.

Unless their is snow on the ground if you are driving normally AWD is pointless.

OTOH Subaru is the car of VT for good reason! With snow tires they are better than a truck until it gets to deep.

It's funny how everyone on this forum thinks everyone should drive just what they need and nothing more. All the people who are saying AWD is pointless without snow, do you only drive what you absolutely need? I bet you would be just fine in the snow with a FWD econobox and some snow tires. Do you have a truck? If so you better be regularly hauling large objects and towing 5,000+ lbs. Do you drive an SUV? You don't need that a minivan would do just as well hauling kids. Does your car have more than 200HP? You better be tracking that beast.

I drive my Subaru in VA because I like AWD for the occasional snow we get and ski trips. It's American built, has great safety ratings, and gets good gas mileage so who gives a flip if its got AWD. Honestly, I really only need a FWD sedan 95% of the time but I like my Subaru so it's what I choose to drive.

Originally Posted By: glock19

I drive my Subaru in VA because I like AWD for the occasional snow we get and ski trips..

More than enough reason IMO.

I didn't realize you were another Legacy owner 'till I read your sig. Does yours have Bridgestone Turanzas? Gawd those are HORRIBLE in the winter. Even the AWD barely makes up the difference with those based on what I've experienced the past 2 winters with it. I just picked up a second-hand set of Firestone Winterforce from CL the other day for my Legacy. $230 and they're basically brand-new. Just gotta put up with the $60-80 mount/dismount fees unless I can find wheels..

I drive my Subaru in VA because I like AWD for the occasional snow we get and ski trips..

More than enough reason IMO.

I didn't realize you were another Legacy owner 'till I read your sig. Does yours have Bridgestone Turanzas? Gawd those are HORRIBLE in the winter. Even the AWD barely makes up the difference with those based on what I've experienced the past 2 winters with it. I just picked up a second-hand set of Firestone Winterforce from CL the other day for my Legacy. $230 and they're basically brand-new. Just gotta put up with the $60-80 mount/dismount fees unless I can find wheels..

I still have the Turanzas. This will be the first winter with them and I don't anticipate they'll do very well. My biggest complaint so far is they are really noisy on every surface except freshly paved roads. I'm just trying to burn them off so I can put MXV4's on (no need for dedicated snows around here).

As far as the Winterforce's, that's a pretty good find. I wouldn't pay the $60 mounting fee when you can get steelies on TireRack for $65 a piece. They'll look like [censored] but at least they're cheap and you won't feel bad about beating them up all winter.

As far as the Winterforce's, that's a pretty good find. I wouldn't pay the $60 mounting fee when you can get steelies on TireRack for $65 a piece. They'll look like [censored] but at least they're cheap and you won't feel bad about beating them up all winter.

I hear you. I priced out a set of snows, mounted on steelies from TR. All-in would be just under $700, w/out TPMS sensors. Add another $150+ for sensors and a trip to the dealer for programming. Maybe a *skilled* tire shop.

Problem w/ the ~$60 steelies is they're more like $100/ea with shipping. Not worth it unless you "bundle".

Last edited:
I need to go look again, but a while ago I was on eBay looking at steel rims, and found a vendor with reasonable prices on steelies. Like $35 each, shipped, or something like that. I would take a gander there, or look around on CL in your area. I got steelies for my Jetta that way, I want to say $100 (but that was 10 years ago) complete with a set of nearly dead tires.

$150 for sensors, really? I thought they cost more than that, like $75 per.

I hear you. I priced out a set of snows, mounted on steelies from TR. All-in would be just under $700, w/out TPMS sensors. Add another $150+ for sensors and a trip to the dealer for programming. Maybe a *skilled* tire shop.

Problem w/ the ~$60 steelies is they're more like $100/ea with shipping. Not worth it unless you "bundle".

I hear you. I just priced out those "$65" steelies from TireRack. They ended up being $450 shipped to my door with TPMS. That's a little pricey, but if I lived in Buffalo and used them every year I might bite.

The other option is to try to get a smoking deal on CL like you did with the tires.

Originally Posted By: supton

$150 for sensors, really? I thought they cost more than that, like $75 per.

OEM/dealer replacements would be more, but Tire rack sells aftermarket sensors. The problem with most makes/models like Subaru is that's only half the battle. You've got to have your new sensors programmed so the they'll work with the vehicle.

They seem to be making this system friendlier though. On my new Grand Caravan, the TPMS system on the vehicle will recognize/program new wheel sensors on it's own. Aftermarket sensors included.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I went car oogling today. Well I tried. Went to 4 subi dealers and only 1 is still in business. I asked about a wrx and was told there's a back order with no idea when they will show up.

Hard to believe that so many dealers went under.

Come to Colorado.
You can't go 10 blocks without tripping over another Subaru dealership.
Or, at least, that's what it feels like here.

BC.

OEM/dealer replacements would be more, but Tire rack sells aftermarket sensors. The problem with most makes/models like Subaru is that's only half the battle. You've got to have your new sensors programmed so the they'll work with the vehicle.

They seem to be making this system friendlier though. On my new Grand Caravan, the TPMS system on the vehicle will recognize/program new wheel sensors on it's own. Aftermarket sensors included.

That's why I like the system used on my Mazda CX-5.
It's all based on the ABS sensor, so no sensors in the wheels, and you can use whatever wheels you want. Just hit the reset button on the dash when you change wheels and tires, and it adjusts.

If one tire goes flat, the car sees one wheel spinning faster than all the others, and it sets off the TPMS light.

No stupid sensors to buy, or rebuild, when you change tires.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
You never updated your thread with your thoughts on the CX-5.
Did you wind up picking up something?

BC.

I ordered a WRX. Mazda didn't get my biz because not sporty enough and no MT.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I ordered a WRX. Mazda didn't get my biz because not sporty enough and no MT.

Interesting.

Have you seen the new 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback yet?
Much more sporty, and manual transmissions.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back