cant find a subaru!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went car oogling today. Well I tried. Went to 4 subi dealers and only 1 is still in business. I asked about a wrx and was told there's a back order with no idea when they will show up.

Hard to believe that so many dealers went under.

I read recently in a news article that Subarus have been selling briskly to say the least.

Our local Subie dealer appears to be doing just fine. And they even have a few WRX's and around 6 BRZ's on the lot. Yum!! BRZ

Subaru: Before you buy read the owners manual in the glove box for 'normal' oil consumption..............Wish someone had told me.

FB25 Engine

1 quart per 1200 miles is NORMAL, dealership, Subaru of America will do nothing if your brand new car uses this much oil. Imagine adding 4 quarts between oil changes and Subaru does nothing, says all is good.

1 Liter per 2000 Km in Canada is NORMAL.

I won't buy another, back to Honda and Toyota after this Forester

Last edited:
Quote:

Not much different than Honda or Toyota. Engines need more aggressive break-in IMO , especially using such low viscosity oils. It works.

Originally Posted By: Cold_Canuk

If its normal on new low viscosity oils, what's the issue?

I'm sure the spec for normal is similar for Toyota or Honda. Why not post them? Bring evidence before trashing.

Subaru: Before you buy read the owners manual in the glove box for 'normal' oil consumption..............Wish someone had told me.

FB25 Engine

1 quart per 1200 miles is NORMAL, dealership, Subaru of America will do nothing if your brand new car uses this much oil. Imagine adding 4 quarts between oil changes and Subaru does nothing, says all is good.

In all fairness, they told me the same would be true for my STI, and I've yet to burn an appreciable amount (I haven't added a single drop of oil between changes, even at intervals > 7k miles.)

I know some have complained about consumption issues with the new FB25 engines, but aren't there other makes who exhibit similar consumption on SOME of their engines?

Don't get me wrong, if I bought a new Fozzy and it burned a few quarts every OCI I'd be upset, too. Maybe I've just been lucky, and if so, then I hope that luck continues.

Tell ME about it!
grin2.gif

I thought I would be driving a new WRX next week. MAYBE January. NO white ones in the PNW (never seen one either).

WRX assembled in a different factory (smallish) in Japan.

Sounds like the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN should be building more WRXs and fewer Camrys.

(Yes, the Subaru plant in Lafayette, IN assembles Camrys.)

The only color I have seen them in was blue. I was thinking silver or white but I'm not waiting till january lol. I'm leaning towards used anyway.

I figured a subi dealer would have used ones as well but nope.

No surprise San Bernardino County is bankrupt and not much is doing well.. I recently got a great deal on some ATV''s for about 20% of the actual value.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

In all fairness, they told me the same would be true for my STI, and I've yet to burn an appreciable amount (I haven't added a single drop of oil between changes, even at intervals > 7k miles.)

I know some have complained about consumption issues with the new FB25 engines, but aren't there other makes who exhibit similar consumption on SOME of their engines?

yep, my old 2000 Hyundai Sonata(2.4l) always burned a qt every 1000 mi. whether it took me 3months, or 2 days, after 1000 mi, it was a Qt low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If its normal on new low viscosity oils, what's the issue?

I'm sure the spec for normal is similar for Toyota or Honda. Why not post them? Bring evidence before trashing.

A sad story that is becoming more common it seems to me.

While we never hear from the huge majority of owners who are probably not using oil there sure seem to be more people posting. It is hard to separate the reality from the apparent issue.

I own an 07' WRX and posted a UOA on here. Buy new if you can afford it. If your a serious buyer, go to a dealer. Sometimes a dealer can divert one ordered at another dealer to yours and they give up allotment on something else. So you can get one faster than you think.
These are highly fun and unique cars. They will be a thing of the past when the EPA fuel mileage requirements kills em off.
There's not too many cars that scoot 0-60 in under 5 seconds and do so without tire spin drama or electronics kicking in to weird thing out.

FB25 Engine

This post irrelevant to the turbo engine that remain a EJ series and does not suffer this problem not the headgasket issue in turbo form.

That all being said I watch a 2014 Forester drive off with a puff of black smoke which is a rare thing on ANY 5-8 year old car around here let alone brand new.

FB25 Engine

If you check the Honda owners manual (not sure about Toyota) you'll find that their "normal" spec is even worse at 1 qt per 1000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I went car oogling today. Well I tried. Went to 4 subi dealers and only 1 is still in business. I asked about a wrx and was told there's a back order with no idea when they will show up.

Hard to believe that so many dealers went under.

Chris, do you get snow in your area? Just curious, because I never got why anyone would want a Subaru in a climate that doesn't get snow.

For that reason, they sell like crazy in my area and always have. Subaru dealers area always busy places. Much of the time you could walk the lot all day long an not see a sales person unless you called to setup an appt.

Last edited:

If you're going to leave Subaru over an oil consumption specification, I'm afraid you'll have no where to go; they're all similar. The two brands you specifically mentioned, Honda and Toyota, post even more liberal consumption specs: Honda's is 1 qt/1,000 miles and Toyota's is 1 qt/600 miles.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Chris, do you get snow in your area? Just curious, because I never got why anyone would want a Subaru in a climate that doesn't get snow.

I always thought it was because they're simply good vehicles, no? I'd own one; the fact that they do or don't have AWD doesn't really concern me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back