Can't believe it was that easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I pulled up to Boston Market to get some dinner and parked next to a black 90's Chevy S-10 with its hood up. There was a guy in his 20's and an older guy looking under the hood and appeared to be out of ideas. I just walked in to the restaurant figuring it was probably like usual something that couldn't be fixed in the parking lot.

I came out with my food and thought I'd ask if it needed a jump. The young guy said, no it cranks fine but won't start. And since he was on the phone seemed like he figured I couldn't help and was wasting his time. I said it's probably something that would require tools to fix and he said his dad is helping him but doesn't have his tools.

I started to talk to the Dad and mentioned you'd want to check to see if you are getting fuel and spark to narrow it down. Then I suggested depressing the valve at the fuel line test port. Nothing came out and I figured the fuel pump was probably bad. Then I suggested we switch the fuel pump relay with another similar relay like the horn.

So he switched the relay and I listened for the fuel pump to come on and it did. The truck started up. I can't believe it turned out to be such a simple and easy fix being the relay. They were really happy and the young guy mentioned he works at Boston market and he'd probably see me around. And it's all thanks to me
banana2.gif

The engine was the 2200 SFI and a '99 btw.

Last edited:
It feels awesome when you can help someone out. I once helped an older lady at the WM parking lot. Her car would not start. It was completely dead. Well i just happened to have my old work truck that has an array of tools that stays with it. The battery terminals were horrible. I went into WM and bought a small wire brush and some terminal cleaner and returned to the lady. Cleaned them up and she was good to go. She looked at me like i just solved the total universe equation or something. I didnt charge for the stuff. It was worth 4 dollars for me just to help her out.

Oh yeah it's way better to be there in person and solve someone's breakdown than at the shop or when you give someone a suggestion on a forum and it fixes their problem.

You really put the elbow grease in cleaning up that lady's bat terminals
11.gif
. I've changed flat tires, ocassionally added water to a battery or jumped and got a car started for someone. But I never ran across one where the fix was so easy and didn't even get a bit of dirt on my hands. They seemed really up against the wall because the truck was cranking good and just wouldn't start and they didn't really have a clue why. So they were really happy that I helped them get it fixed so easy.

Wow bro you're good at your mechanical skills. Keep checking back at Boston Market every now and then because the young brother might hook you up with specials or deals for helping him out !

Yeah I don't go to Boston Market much but they have good food. I think maybe he mentioned he'd seem me there because he might comp me a dinner or something. It's OK I didn't want any compensation and figure he probably doesn't have a lot of money anyway. I use to live in Arlington right next to FT Worth. I accidentally flooded a gas station with gas passing through Ft Worth on a trip a few years ago but that's another story lol.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
I hope he replaces the bad relay and doesn't blame you on your next trip to Boston Market.

They mentioned getting a new relay. I let the Dad switch it. Their A/C doesn't work so they have plenty of relays to use lol.

I have a similar story regarding and old Jeep Cherokee, a young girl, and a banged up door off a hinge that wouldn't lock.

Let's just say that some WD-40, a screwdriver and a pair of pliers provided a quick fix, but I'm sure that the girl had no intention of following up at a garage for something mote permanent.

When I first got my '97 Crown Vic it wouldn't start. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump relay (which I determined by using starting fluid).

I took the relay out, smacked it hard against the engine, and put it back in. It worked after that, but I got a new one anyhow.

By the way, Digi-Key has those exact same ISO relays for about $2.50 compared to the $10 the parts store wants. The ones Digi-Key sells are made by Tyco, no telling who made the parts store ones.

I wouldnt have a clue unless it was something obvious. I wish I was knowledgeable like the rest of you.

Easy is relative - you had knowledge which made it easy... They didn't.

They were lucky a helpful soul with some knowledge came by.

Very true.

Most things are very simple once you learn how. Second, once you know an skill, you get insight into the most likely problem areas. Thats the real key. Most things that fail, fail in the same way. So you know the most likely item to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back