Canadians: M1 EP now available at Cdn Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
As my car is just coming off its 1-year PT warranty, I've been looking into going synthetic and extending OCI's. I called the local Esso bulk lube depot, and they quoted me $20.12 for a 4-litre jug of XD-3 0W-30, or 5.03/litre.

I agree that dino oil can be found on sale all over the place for about $2.00-$2.50/litre, so it may be cheaper, but I think there are alot more perfomance benefits to using the XD-3. If you look at the UOA's, this oil geverates almost no wear on engines, and doesn't lose much, if any, viscosity in long drains. Add that to its low-temperature properties, and it doesn't seem to make sense to go with even a high-quality dino oil for less money.

At least thats where I'm at with my thinking. I do have a small stash of dino oil bought on sale, that will last for a few OC's, but I'm thinking of just letting it gather dust for a bit, and going with XD-3 on one-year drains....In Canada, at least, I really don't understand people who would use GC/Mobil 1/Amsoil at twice the price of XD-3......

quote:

Originally posted by sxg6:
In case you're like me and feel left out by not knowing what is going on in this thread...

$10.49 CAD = $9.29 USD
and
$45.99 CAD = $40.75 USD

Now i understand your reactions
shocked.gif

That is a lot of money!

M1 EP is $28 USD here.

Theres no evidence whatsoever out there to suggest that M1 EP is any better of an oil than XD-3 full synth. Olympic has adduced plenty of evidence that XD-3 0W-30 is just as good, if not better than GC and Mobil-1.

1 year drains? What a waste with XD-3. Maybe do a UOA after 1 year to make sure oxidization hasn't taken off, and TBN hasn't plummetted, but I personally feel confident enough with XD-3 that I am running a 5 year/50k mile OCI on my car, and will do a UOA then to determine how far I can extend beyond then.

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
Theres no evidence whatsoever out there to suggest that M1 EP is any better of an oil than XD-3 full synth.

There's no evidence to the contrary either. Olympic runs XD-3 in his taxi fleet with the remote bypass set-up. His vehicles see much lighter duty in a sense (less start-up) then a common car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back