Canadian members, please come in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
I suppose i will eventually have to fork out the dough for genuine OEM Nissan replacements. I did find an online shop who will refurbish oem covers but i am a little skeptical of quality.

Replicas for my F-150 are like $70 and up a piece!
wink.gif

I drive with steelies/winter tires...when we have snow...I have my own garage so I just swap them on when the snow stays. I have had winters for my last couple of cars and wouldn't go back to 3 seasons. It not primarily for my driving its best bet for defensive driving against the 90% out there with no clue.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
"..............A recent study by the Traffic Injury Research Foundation indicates that Canadian motorists don't seem to understand the benefits of winter tires..........
.........................................................................................................................
More frightening was the “belief that all-season and summer tires were sufficient for winter driving in their region, and that their vehicle’s safety features negated the need for winter tires,” the study said..................."

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/107781...nter_tires.aspx

http://www.autosphere.ca/tirenews/2012/11/30/winter-tires-are-misunderstood-report/

This is the sort of "Corporate Kool-aid" we are being feed to get governments to enact Winter-tire manditory laws that will help tire makers. The Quebec law has they licking their chops to get more snow tire laws passed in NA to increase profits. All at the same time that Global warming has almost done away with snow (in my area anyway)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
This is the sort of "Corporate Kool-aid" we are being feed to get governments to enact Winter-tire manditory laws that will help tire makers. The Quebec law has they licking their chops to get more snow tire laws passed in NA to increase profits. All at the same time that Global warming has almost done away with snow (in my area anyway)

You haven't been around here, obviously. More of that white cr#p on the ground than I care to have, but it is what it is, and it will come every November and stick around until April.

I don't doubt that tire makers love legislation forcing winter tire use. At least initially, it will boost sales, but in the long run, over the life of a car, you would more or less go through the same number of sets of tires either way.

My own paraphrasing of the recent history of tires: Tires have evolved. ALl types. Ages ago, the standard tire on a car was summer bias ply. Many here probably weren't even around when that was the case. Ever seen one of those tires? No way they could ever handle winter. So the need for the old school snow tires came around. The only technology on those were big lugs and big voids, otherwise pretty much the same as the summer brethren of the era. Helped with snow, but did nothing for ice, unless studs were involved.

Then came radials. A game changer all around. Technology advanced, and all seasons were born. Compared to the offerings at that time, they probably fared just as decently as the snow tires of the time, and worked adequately the rest of the year. My oldest motoring memories being at the cusp of the tail end of the transition from bias ply to radial.

And lo, technology advances yet again. Purpose specific tires are developed, which play with rubber formulations and tread patterns, and thus is born the first of what we now call winter tires. The new technology allows these to surpass all seasons in winter conditions.

So sure, you survived just fine for years on all seasons. So did everyone else at the time. But the goal posts moved, technology advanced. They certainly aren't the best choice anymore for winter, but also not the worst choice.

Really no different than anything else. The old AMPS cell phones worked "fine" in its day. What, you don't use that any more? Why not, it worked fine back them? (Okay, I concede it isn't even offered anymore, but a few years back, it still was, and I bet the majority here didn't even use AMPS phones any more). I can say the same thing for just about anything where technology has moved forward. Oil, anyone?

I don't need winter tires to drive in the winter. But I choose them because the technology has advancede, they are not unreasonable in cost, and give me an additional edge that I wouldn't have without them. Over the life cycle of my vehicle, the only additional cost for me is the initial outlay for another set of wheels to facilitate the changeover.

We run steelies in Canada to show off the fact that we can afford an extra set of high tech snow tires on rims!

Plus winter driving is hard on hubcaps and hub caps cover up the holes in the steel rims and make it difficult to pressure wash the inside of the rim. My tires build up with about 1/4" of dirt stuck onto the inside of the rims in winter and then they can go out of balance which is aggravating.

That said I am running dedicated snow tires with hubcaps on our vehicles this year - mainly because my wife complained about the look of the black steelies.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Not sure they will ever make snow tire mandatory in Ontario; in the south we don't get much snow anymore....In the North they can use studded tires if they want.

In Quebec they do get more snow, but also have a paternalistic government that seems to know whats best for everyone...

We do have a stupid paternalistic government, but on this issue I agree with making winter tires mandatory for areas of Canada that are known to have heaving snow and ice throughout the winter months. I have driven through bad winters on both All-Season and Winter tires and no doubt about it the Winters are the way to go. I survived the years with all-seasons on and I consider myself a good driver, but its the fact that the bad/inexperienced drivers on the road around me have them on as well makes me feel safer driving in bad storms.

Quote:
Is it to save their other aluminum rims from salt corrosion? From what I have seen, the cars with the steel wheels still have all-season tires, not winter tires, and are very nice cars.

For me its:

1. To save my nice mags from road salt and other debris on the roads.
2. I have steelies for the convenience and the savings in the long run. Once you have your winters on rims ready to go in the back of your garage, all you need is a hydraulic jack, breaker bar, proper sized socket, and about an hour of your time. At the same time your saving money from not having to go to a garage and pay to get the tires swapped and balanced every year...it adds up.

Quote:

No its not, winters tires save lives and make driving in harsh winter conditions much safer. There has been statistical proof from the qc gov that "In each of the first two seasons of its enforcement, the new measure helped to prevent an average of 574 road crash victims." - Report release 2 years after implementation of the law from the transport Minister of Quebec. Everybody I talk to agrees using winter tires makes sense in the part of Canada we live in. They aren't that expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back