Can you run your deadlift?

Going by those rules, anybody deadlifting under 350lbs should be able to run a mile in something approaching world record time. I suppose The Flash can't deadlift at all - it explains his speed. Cute. Under 5 minutes for one mile is very good.

Going by those rules, anybody deadlifting under 350lbs should be able to run a mile in something approaching world record time. I suppose The Flash can't deadlift at all - it explains his speed. Cute. Under 5 minutes for one mile is very good.

That is exactly the point. Trying to see how many athletes are strong enough to deadlift higher weights, yet fit enough to run a decent mile time.

It is not meant for those monsters that can pick up 1000 pounds, but can't run around the block...nor the ultra marathoners who can't pick up a bag of dog food. It is just a challenge for those well rounded athletes who are both strong and fit.

It is not a rule, it is a challenge. A test if you will, of both your physical strength and cardio fitness.

I would be interested in learning on how my explanation did not make sense.

Many folks interested in physical fitness like to find ways to challenge themselves in a quest to continue their improvement. This seems to be a straight forward challenge, which I thought I did a decent job explaining. The physical fitness forums I also visit have more people than I think are capable of competing this challenge making a claim that they can. I was wondering on an "average Joe" forum how many people could actually accomplish this feat. In general, I find this forum more honest than most, and I was just interested in the conversation from an average person's perspective.

I can spell out more details of the challenge if you like.

Deadlift 300 = 3 minute mile run
Deadlift 400 = 4 minute mile run
Deadlift 450 = 4:30 minute mile run
Deadlift 500 = 5 minute mile run

The equation is simple.

It is a demonstration of one's balance between strength training and cardio training.

There is a similar challenge where you bench press your body weight and the number of reps subtracts time from your 5k run.

Again, it is just a measure of one's balanced physical fitness.

On a possible right track ? Yeah maybe so.

Man I could have dead lifted maybe 400 pounds. I did lift 355 and probably could have gotten 400.

And I weighed 170 doing that.

Having said that..... A 4 minute mile is absolutely flying....

Your idea is a good one. Just need to calibrate that running part a bit differently.

Well, that's one heck of a well-rounded athlete to do this. Figure the "mean average" would be somewhere around 500-700 lbs deadlift and a corresponding 5-7 minute mile. That guy would be in hecka-good physical condition.

Deadlifting that much is generally about 3-4 times your weight, for someone trim enough to also be a runner, figuring he weighs about 175-210.

Army PT max might have changed but when I was in the perfect run score was about 6 minutes, 2 miles in ~12 minutes. US Marine standard is/was 3 miles in 21 minutes, or a 7 minute mile.

Such a person would be a very fit human IMO. An impressive goal. I don't know what my deadlift max was back in my prime but I don't think it corresponded to my 1 mile run time.

I don’t think this guy can dead lift much at all.

D5B0BD66-EC73-404D-89CD-1E284D005337.jpg

Nobody who can deadlift 300 can run a 3:00 mile. It makes no sense.

A few people on here get the challenge. It is not meant to be for the folks who can only deadlift 300 pounds...instead, it is a test for those well trained athletes to judge your balance between strength and cardio fitness. To parrot the response that is makes no sense just says its too hard for you, and therefor you think it is stupid.

Being a challenge means MOST PEOPLE CAN'T DO IT.

You are right...if you can only deadlift 300 pounds, you won't be running a 3 minute mile...impossible. There is a level of entry into the challenge to be able to even deadlift enough weight to have a reasonable mile time goal.

What about the guys that can deadlift 500 pounds...can they run a 5 minute mile?
Deadlift 600 pounds and run a 6 minute mile?

Those are certainly possible, and as I mentioned many people on the fitness forums claim to be able to do it, more than seems possible...I was just wondering if average Joe BITOG member could come close?

A few people on here get the challenge. It is not meant to be for the folks who can only deadlift 300 pounds...instead, it is a test for those well trained athletes to judge your balance between strength and cardio fitness. To parrot the response that is makes no sense just says its too hard for you, and therefor you think it is stupid.

You are right...if you can only deadlift 300 pounds, you won't be running a 3 minute mile...impossible. There is a level of entry into the challenge to be able to even deadlift enough weight to have a reasonable mile time goal.

What about the guys that can deadlift 500 pounds...can they run a 5 minute mile?

Those are certainly possible, and as I mentioned many people on the fitness forums claim to be able to do it, more than seems possible...I was just wondering if average Joe BITOG member could come close?
Regarding “ if you can only dead lift 300 lbs, you won’t be running a 3 minute mile” There is a point where core strength gets disconnected from speed and overall low body weight and long legs becomes important. According to the data below, the current record holder for the mile is a Moroccan by the name of Hicham El Guerrouj. He is 5’9” tall and weighs 128 lbs. Perhaps he can dead lift 300 lbs but not sure. Here are some statistics from the web. I heard the Mile has recently been broken again. Enjoy.
4231AC44-6BFC-482B-A4A1-6FE02B284AAE.png

Last edited:

I see the most 5 minute milers at a race when you line up by your expected finish time. I'm further back though. Usually when you look at the race results, there are only a very few people that can do 5 minute miles, usually less than a hand full.

Probably football players could do it. It's probably one of those things where lots of people like to watch it, but few could actually play any of the positions.

Regarding “ if you can only dead lift 300 lbs, you won’t be running a 3 minute mile” There is a point where core strength gets disconnected from speed and overall low body weight and long legs becomes important. According to the data below, the current record holder for the mile is a Moroccan by the name of Hicham El Guerrouj. He is 5’9” tall and weighs 128 lbs. Perhaps he can dead lift 300 lbs but not sure. Here are some statistics from the web. I heard the Mile has recently been broken again. Enjoy.View attachment 68113
Mile hasn't been broken. 20yr old Norwegian runner ran 3:47 over the weekend, that's about it

OK, so what's the reasonable entry level? 600/6:00? I understand mile times but admit ignorance about deadlift.

Technically any weight above the world record mile time would make this possible. Your idea of 600/6:00 seems to be close to the most plausible combo.

OK, so what's the reasonable entry level? 600/6:00? I understand mile times but admit ignorance about deadlift.

I'd say somewhere in 500/5 to 600/6 is the realistic sweet spot for an extreme athlete. It's about the right strength/speed/endurance combination. By way of personal information, I'm a heck of a good athlete and I *might* have been able to do that range in my prime with proper dedicated coaching.

Lower or higher extremes are outliers and just get really improbable. You're talking a skeleton man/woman endurance athlete deadlifting 4x his/her weight, or on the other end, really musclebound men deadlifting 700+ doing a pretty impressive mile, so you're probably in a very narrow field of professional football player territory.

I've been seeing a few more videos about this recently...just wondering how many "average gym joe's" can run their deadlift.

To define:
Within an hour of each other
Deadlift max weight
Run 1 mile

If your deadlift is 550 pounds, you need to run a 5:30 mile.
If your deadlift is 600 pounds, you need to run a 6 minute mile.
etc.
No. DL 415, 1m runtime around 6:30.

I do rack pulls and not much deadlifting,does that count?! 🤣

I don't try to break records,run the fastest times but all the lifting & cardio I do keeps me healthy and keeps my mind off of all the insanity of society.

Back