Can you run your deadlift?

I've been seeing a few more videos about this recently...just wondering how many "average gym joe's" can run their deadlift.

To define:
Within an hour of each other
Deadlift max weight
Run 1 mile

If your deadlift is 550 pounds, you need to run a 5:30 mile.
If your deadlift is 600 pounds, you need to run a 6 minute mile.
etc.

No, but come on, I'm only 155 pounds. I don't lift, but research shows that 2x your body weight is a pretty good deadlift. My answer is no. But I can run a 6 minute mile!

Never tried that but the DL (and it's Romanian counterpart) is a great exercise and it has been nice to see a resurgence in the movement over the past couple of years.

Back in my youth, I maxed deadlifted 575lbs at a body weight of 190lbs and I ran the mile in a half for the Air Force physical fittness test in 9 min. Not sure what that would be for just a mile. As for now, no way at all. I haven't been to the gym in over a year. Sad to say I lost all my size and strength, but on a side note, I put in 100miles a week on my bike.

Back in my youth, I maxed deadlifted 575lbs at a body weight of 190lbs and I ran the mile in a half for the Air Force physical fittness test in 9 min. Not sure what that would be for just a mile. As for now, no way at all. I haven't been to the gym in over a year. Sad to say I lost all my size and strength, but on a side note, I put in 100miles a week on my bike.
I'd guess between 5:30 & 5:40 for an all out mile, maybe faster. Some prefer shorter distances, some like longer (duh).

Never tried that but the DL (and it's Romanian counterpart) is a great exercise and it has been nice to see a resurgence in the movement over the past couple of years.
For a while, HS'ers weren't performing it correctly because macho so it fell out of favor in weights classes because they thought it was hurting the students due to the lift itself, not them doing it incorrectly. I never taught it or implemented it in any of my weights class routines but I would generally let the students perform it if they could show it to me correctly on their own.

that makes no sense whatsoever

I would be interested in learning on how my explanation did not make sense.

Many folks interested in physical fitness like to find ways to challenge themselves in a quest to continue their improvement. This seems to be a straight forward challenge, which I thought I did a decent job explaining. The physical fitness forums I also visit have more people than I think are capable of competing this challenge making a claim that they can. I was wondering on an "average Joe" forum how many people could actually accomplish this feat. In general, I find this forum more honest than most, and I was just interested in the conversation from an average person's perspective.

I can spell out more details of the challenge if you like.

Deadlift 300 = 3 minute mile run
Deadlift 400 = 4 minute mile run
Deadlift 450 = 4:30 minute mile run
Deadlift 500 = 5 minute mile run

The equation is simple.

It is a demonstration of one's balance between strength training and cardio training.

There is a similar challenge where you bench press your body weight and the number of reps subtracts time from your 5k run.

Again, it is just a measure of one's balanced physical fitness.

Many folks interested in physical fitness like to find ways to challenge themselves in a quest to continue their improvement. This seems to be a straight forward challenge, which I thought I did a decent job explaining. The physical fitness forums I also visit have more people than I think are capable of competing this challenge making a claim that they can. I was wondering on an "average Joe" forum how many people could actually accomplish this feat. In general, I find this forum more honest than most, and I was just interested in the conversation from an average person's perspective.

The equation is simple.

It is a demonstration of one's balance between strength training and cardio training.

There is a similar challenge where you bench press your body weight and the number of reps subtracts time from your 5k run.

Again, it is just a measure of one's balanced physical fitness.
No, we understand the physicality of your post. I’m saying it makes no sense as there’s absolute no correlation with a DL and a mile run. It’s like me saying, if you can eat a full pizza by yourself in 6 mins, you should be able to drink 6 beers!

it might be a “challenge” but there’s no basis in reality for it.

The equation is simple.
It makes no sense in that the fastest human mile is 3.43 so if you deadlift 300, you can't do a 3 minute mile run. And I dare say that anyone who can run a 3.43 mile is pretty darn fit.

Yes. I don't lift & have a best of 4:14 in the mile. Bring it 😆

The Nick Symmonds & Nick Symmonds Too channels on YouTube are fun to watch if you're in to running

Impressive since that's nearly the mens' current world record and about ties the female world record. And 4:14 would have been the mens' world record up until a few decades ago until the unthinkable 4 minute mile was broken.

As to the OP question, I don't think even in my prime I could run my deadlift. In my teens thru my 30s I could do a 6 minute mile. Now, middle aged, about a 7-8 minute mile. I don't know what my max deadlift is, but lower than my comparative 1-mile times. Age and injuries catches up with ya!

I'm generally content being able to bench my weight in sets and squat 1.5x my weight in sets and keep a mile under 10 minutes. I'm not the star athlete I once was.

Impressive since that's nearly the mens' current world record and about ties the female world record. And 4:14 would have been the mens' world record up until a few decades ago until the unthinkable 4 minute mile was broken.
Current WR is now down to 3:42.xx 😎
I was dragged along in that race & confident I couldn't have gone any faster

Last edited:
Back