Can you run 100% water in a radiator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cools great … racers do this. But no freeze protection, corrosion inhibitors, or water pump lube.

Yes you can. The cap pressurizes the system so you can go to higher temperatures. But if you over heat it can easily boil. Plus the whole system rusts out quicker. But if you have a leak that keeps leaking you can just use water til its fixed.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Cools great … racers do this. But no freeze protection, corrosion inhibitors, or water pump lube.

You probably could if you were in a climate where it didn't freeze. I've done it when I was flushing my Civic rad last year during the summer months. Did 3 drain and fills and then got it all out and went to new Coolant. I didn't leave the water in for more than 1 week.

Well there is no "water pump lube" function to using a coolant, if water and/or a coolant mixture enters the water pump bearing it will be destroyed in a short period of time.

However, there certainly is corrosion protection and for some systems the coolant can also help to prevent cavitation. As for freezing point depression and boiling point elevation these graphs show how different concentrations are affected. Most manufacturers give a minimum concentration typically around 30 or 40%, and a maximum usually about 70%. Heat transfer is best with a more dilute mixture, so in general one should use the minimum concentration your climate (and the manufacturer) allows.

[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]

[Linked Image from hellafunctional.com]

It will work in summer but you will have rust or corrosion.

Good if you are testing something and do not want to waste antifreeze.

But when its ready to be driven in normal manner then at least 50/50..

You just heard of this? Cars ran straight water decades ago. Then alcohol then antifreeze. Water will work on a pinch to get you home but with no corrosion adatives it makes a mess quickly.

If you live in Southern California coast or Florida or even Southern coast of US, you can run water year round.
But whatever said in Post #2 is valid.

Last edited:
Though no personal knowledge I've seen it mentioned as a "racing thing". In everyday passenger vehicle use for corrosion protection, freezing point depression and boiling point elevation provided by AF as noted in the graphs, can't see any practical application to water only.

I have never seen a manufacturer that allowed only water in the cooling system, they all list minimum and maximum concentrations. They have valid technical reasons for doing so and it's not just to sell coolant.

The reason coolant is replaced every 2-5 years is to replenish the different additives that are in the coolant to protect the internals of our engines. The freeze proof portion will "never" go bad. Well, that's what I was taught in Organic Chemistry.

I wouldn't run straight water. Even if it were distilled.

You can, but it begs the question, why would someone do it in a daily driver? There's no upside at all.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Though no personal knowledge I've seen it mentioned as a "racing thing". In everyday passenger vehicle use for corrosion protection, freezing point depression and boiling point elevation provided by AF as noted in the graphs, can't see any practical application to water only.

The only reason that is done is to maximize heat transfer and the specific heat capacity, but for a properly designed system that's not an issue. It should never be done for a typical automobile application.

[Linked Image from bkeracing.com]

Originally Posted by kschachn
..The only reason that is done is to maximize heat transfer and the specific heat capacity, but for a properly designed system that's not an issue. It should never be done for a typical automobile application.

[Linked Image from bkeracing.com]

Very cool, no pun intended. Thanks for the explanation with graph. Science!

Here is what can happen if you run straight water, like this guy did with his new truck in Texas. The water pump inlet passages were pounded by nucleant boiling until they breached the outer wall. Without antifreeze the boiling point of coolant is too low.

Warranty was denied.

Untitled-6_zps98901e37.JPG

Untitled-2_zpsfa5b79d3.JPG

If you do you need to use a product like redline water wetter, as a corrosion inhibitor. Your boiling point will improve with the water wetter and straight water, it is done with street rods all the time in warm weather, that are have overheating problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back